Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Sorting Percentages and Buying Reports XII
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2008 :  20:19:25  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
Ten more rolls of Canadian nickels. This time I asked specifically for customer-wrapped rolls. One of the tellers commiserated with me about my 2008s. She hates the new wrappers because they are hard to open.

They managed to dig up ten rolls for me. And what rolls! 150 .999 Ni (37.5%). 110 of them came from 3 rolls.

Not all who wander are lost.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  03:32:47  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Sorting Report for today:
Today's sort started off great. I had some customer wrapped rolls I had been meaning to get to and started with those. 2 of the rolls were stamped with the bank info and account # and date of deposit from 2 different businesses. Crocker Bank - 1983! Where had these rolls been all this time? Crocker bank closed 20 years ago. Turns out that out of the 20 rolls.. only 2 were marked, but I got the other 18 with this batch.. 995 cents were copper and only 5 were zinc! Don't you just love it when you know you got some old customer rolls?
Of course I could have quit there and had a near perfect percentage. Knowing I could go nowhere but down from that point I sorted a few more.

Total sorted - 32,500 - 13 boxes
7183 copper
5 darn dimes
22.10%

Coin Buying Report for today:
745 Indian Cents
1 wheat cent
25 copper memorial cents
11 90% Kennedys
1 Franklin Half
2 Walking Liberty halves
200 Ike Dollars
1 $2.50 Liberty Quarter Eagle

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  10:26:00  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
I noticed the Brinks truck just unloaded at one of my local banks this morning so I went in and did a quick drive buy. One Brinks box sealed with no markings. 15 pounds.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  11:32:55  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
Hoard, what did you give for the Indians?
Derek

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  13:51:43  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by misteroman

Hoard, what did you give for the Indians?
Derek

Several bags of zinc cents..

I bagged up several bags of zinc yesterday and took them to the bank and converted them into fiat currency. Then I quickly converted the fiat into Indians, silver and gold last night before it could decrease in value further.

So much easier to buy Indians than to find them in circulation. I love Indian cents! You might say I stole them. I got them below wholesale bid. I won't quote the exact price because I will be selling some of them off soon and hoping to make a little profit on the deal to support my bad coin habit.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Edited by - HoardCopperByTheTon on 03/13/2008 13:52:41
Go to Top of Page

PennyProspector
Penny Pincher Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  17:19:50  Show Profile Send PennyProspector a Private Message
8,600 soted

2850 total wheat (33.14%)
20 wheats

2 2002 10 euro
1 elongated penny from Sweetwater TN

Happy Prospecting!
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  17:30:16  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Sorted none, bought some....

Picked up 5 boxes from one normal stop. No duds....

Now a little something extra. For those of you that use Commerce bank pay attention....Did a drive buy at one of my usual bank branches, (Commerce). They had $20 in CWR for me AND they are offering existing customers $25 free if you open a no-minimum balance vacation/holiday fund. That's free money, a free box of pennies! So I did it, why not, $25 is $25....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  19:58:39  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
Ten rolls Canadian nickels

117 Ni 29.3%

One roll was entirely 1967s (commemorating Canada's centennial). BTW those are pure Ni.

Go to Top of Page

WilliamC
Penny Collector Member

USA
471 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  20:09:37  Show Profile Send WilliamC a Private Message
Did a drive by of two different banks and one credit union today. Had my 9 year old with me (he's on Spring Break and went to work with me, I just put in half a day myself lazy me) so I told the tellers I was getting pennies for him to look for wheats in.

Got a box at one bank, $25 in rolls from a second, and $30 in rolls from the credit union. I haven't been keeping accurate counts but I'm looking at about 20% copper, which is average around here.

I should finish $55 worth tonight, and I'll probably save the box for when the Ryedale arrives.

I'm so happy I can't hardly count!

Sorting In Northwest Mississippi
Go to Top of Page

penniesmakemedizzy
Penny Pincher Member

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  21:28:14  Show Profile Send penniesmakemedizzy a Private Message
Sorted $25
14.6%
less than usual.......
Go to Top of Page

Epaphras
Penny Collector Member

USA
382 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2008 :  23:27:52  Show Profile Send Epaphras a Private Message
No sorting today, but I did purchase,
2 Brinks boxes (no duds so far)
4 Loomis boxes
13 costumer rolls
Also broke about 3/4 of them (one of the hardest part of the operation, especially those stupid Brinks plastic rolls)

Opened a CD at my main bank. Thought it would be a good thing to do for the excellent costumer service they provide. Then I opened a new account, first giving them my test.

"Do you have any costumer rolls?" (how's your costumer service)
"How many you want?" (you got money or are you one of those cheap ones?)
"As many as you got." (I have enough to have you fooled)
"We have total of 7 rolls (this is the main branch too)." (whew, I bought the bank out and did not break my wallet. Good costumer service)
"Do you accept bagged coins (a.k.a. are you going to be a dump or supply bank)?"
"No, but such and such branches do, but you can roll them and bring them back with your account number on them." (supply bank)
"What about your policy on ordering pennies; how many can I get without dropping the 'F' word"?" (I am going to be able to get a lot or a little?)
"I can order as MANY as you want." (yeah, right)
"You should not have said that because I'll ask for 80 boxes." (Really?)
"No, if you need like 20 boxes, call us on Monday and they will be here on Wednesday." (so it is true)
"Good enough, who do I see to open an account?" (Yay)

I may pull a HCBTT and call Monday and say 24 boxes, please.
Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  00:04:01  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
The more I realize the % totals I think I'm doing great.
In a 50 roll if I pull out 10 CU's that is 20%. 99% of the time I get at least 10 a roll and sometimes 20 cu's.I bet I'm closer to 40% up here in WNY,for now at least.
Derek

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  00:35:35  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Epaphras

No sorting today, but I did purchase,
2 Brinks boxes (no duds so far)
4 Loomis boxes
13 costumer rolls
Also broke about 3/4 of them (one of the hardest part of the operation, especially those stupid Brinks plastic rolls)

Opened a CD at my main bank. Thought it would be a good thing to do for the excellent costumer service they provide. Then I opened a new account, first giving them my test.

"Do you have any costumer rolls?" (how's your costumer service)
"How many you want?" (you got money or are you one of those cheap ones?)
"As many as you got." (I have enough to have you fooled)
"We have total of 7 rolls (this is the main branch too)." (whew, I bought the bank out and did not break my wallet. Good costumer service)
"Do you accept bagged coins (a.k.a. are you going to be a dump or supply bank)?"
"No, but such and such branches do, but you can roll them and bring them back with your account number on them." (supply bank)
"What about your policy on ordering pennies; how many can I get without dropping the 'F' word"?" (I am going to be able to get a lot or a little?)
"I can order as MANY as you want." (yeah, right)
"You should not have said that because I'll ask for 80 boxes." (Really?)
"No, if you need like 20 boxes, call us on Monday and they will be here on Wednesday." (so it is true)
"Good enough, who do I see to open an account?" (Yay)

I may pull a HCBTT and call Monday and say 24 boxes, please.

Where can I get some of those "costumer" rolls? I can only get Brinks, Loomis and customer wrapped rolls out here. I bet those ones from the costume shop have lots of copper in them.

Epaphras.. sounds like you found a great supply bank. 24 boxes is an excellent size order.. as long as they are not all duds. Go ahead and start with 20 and see how it goes. You can up your order later after they get into a weekly ordering routine for you. 24 boxes fit nicely on the cart. Do you have a cart yet? You will want to get a good one.. should be rated for 660 pounds.

Great approach to deciding where to open a new account. I need to get out and open some new accounts.

I would be happy to help you with your roll breaking technique. Those Brinks rolls are the easiest for me. I open them at the rate of about 12 rolls per minute. I open up a box worth of them and drop them in the Ryedale while it is running and at the end I can sort the zinc rejects in my pan for wheats and Indians and be all done about the time Ryedale finishes sorting the last couple of hundred pennies. I dump the sorted zinc in the counter and bag it up while I am sorting the next box.

Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  01:53:58  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
Okay... had a very kind and generous hoarder help me out this afternoon to chew through my 'hoard' of mixed cents.

I don't know the exact count, but by weight it looks like I got a % of 26-27%. Pulled out a few wheats by sight, many still mixed in.
Was over $500, so at that quantity in such a short time and a nice percentage..... I'm a happy man!

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

eharrison
Penny Pincher Member

USA
234 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  14:27:26  Show Profile Send eharrison a Private Message
Went back to my local Credit Union and got 20 in cents and 10 in nickels. The nickels are NF string and all were 2004 louis and clark series (boat on the back).
Out of the cents:
413 Coppers (41.3% not counting the wheats)
69 1982's (will sort later)
3 wheats, yippiee!
515 zincers

My banks Machine wrapped coins are from a local supplier here in Montgomery. I haven't gone to any banks to get coins yet, are they usually more stingy and or do they yield less copper than credit unions. Does it really matter? Just wondering.
Anecdotal story- I went in yesterday, the day after I got me second set of cents. I needed to get some smaller bills for my boss/work. I said "I'd like to buy some change for my larger bills"
She jokingly replied "will that be in pennies?"
I have had great service from them and hope it continues.:)

Freedom is popular
That's why I voted
Ron Paul!
Go to Top of Page

aboxaweek
Penny Collector Member

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  16:16:06  Show Profile Send aboxaweek a Private Message
Hopefully i can get 60$in rolls/boxes/bags. preferrably bags so i dont have to open the rolls. But... I will take higher copper percentages over a bag.

*HUCKABEE*
___08'____
Go to Top of Page

Epaphras
Penny Collector Member

USA
382 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  17:42:10  Show Profile Send Epaphras a Private Message
Sorted the $156.50 purchased yesterday
3226 coppers=20.61%
up 1.34% from last sort

Also sorted one Loomis box
454 coppers=18.16%
1 korean coin
down 2.45% from last sort.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

139 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  18:48:36  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
so far tonight..
1 box
801 coppers counting 22 wheats(1916 oldest),7 canadian.
also found 2 pennies from bermuda.
thats better than 30% from box #1.
one more box to do tonight.
Go to Top of Page

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  20:36:37  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
Ten rolls Canadian nickels - 115 Ni (28.8%)

Low steel-another coffee can collection. Nothing special by way of dates.

Go to Top of Page

Tourney64
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1035 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  22:25:32  Show Profile Send Tourney64 a Private Message
Sorted 2 - $25 Brinks Boxes-Sealed
Dated 3/4/08
Box Weight - 15.5 lb/each
1478 Copper-Including Wheats 29.6 %

7 Canadian CU
5 Canadian Other
104 Wheats 1935 Oldest
0 Indian Head
0 Dimes

1982 Copper Penny with a black 3 on the back
This must be from a copper hoarder who didn't have a Ryedale, or
from a Dale Earnheardt fan.
Go to Top of Page

CoinHunter53562
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  22:44:27  Show Profile Send CoinHunter53562 a Private Message
1 box tonight of pennies...

787 59-82 copper
19 wheat cents
4 Canadians
1690 zinc

Was finding myself making tons of mistakes so I think I might have to break down and get a Ryedale soon.

My hobby: collecting real money 1 copper cent or nickel at a time.

Go to Top of Page

PennyProspector
Penny Pincher Member

USA
212 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  23:02:45  Show Profile Send PennyProspector a Private Message
tonight sort

10,000 sorted
3356 total copper (33.56%)

20 wheat

1 dime
1 2 euro
1 2 cent from "singapura" (first one I have gotten of these)

Happy Prospecting!

Edited by - PennyProspector on 03/14/2008 23:03:17
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2008 :  23:24:19  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
CoinHunter.. Just run all your copper and any zinc you haven't disposed of through the Ryedale and fix all your mistakes in just a few minutes.

Go to Top of Page

Tourney64
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1035 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  11:36:49  Show Profile Send Tourney64 a Private Message
Sorted $6 - Customer Wrapped Rolls (CRW)
146 Copper-Including Wheats 24.3 %

Not Included in copper #'s
1 Canadian CU
1 Canadian Other
2 Wheats None worth mention
0 Indian Head
0 Dimes
Go to Top of Page

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2008 :  15:17:26  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message
Today I decided to take the plunge and buy a box of pennies.
Results-
$5.80 pre 82
$0.75 copper 82
$0.11 wheat cents

7 copper canadian

.26% copper

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: