Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Pre-war nickels?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

43 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  15:03:58  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I don't really sort nickels given that war nickels are very rare and that compared to pre-1982 pennies the metal value to face value of regular nickels is far less then with the pre-1982 pennies. I do however hang on to them whenever I get them seeing how they are still worth more as metal. In my collection I have many nickels that come from the pre-war years not the Indian head variety but the 1938-1941 Jefferson variety.

Many of you sort nickels and I would like to ask..

Are these nickels rare enough to be worth keeping seperate for collectable value or are they fairly common in circulation?

Edited by - n/a on 02/19/2008 15:05:17

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  15:37:32  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
I see some even though I'm not sorting my nickels. Nickels before 1959 seem rather rare. At some time in the future I may take the time to sort through them looking for silver war and pre-war nickels but not at this time.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

cyberdan
Penny Collector Member

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  15:38:44  Show Profile Send cyberdan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Metal Maniac
Are these nickels rare enough to be worth keeping seperate for collectable value or are they fairly common in circulation?

When ever I can't get cents I try to get some nickels. A week ago I got $80 worth. Found 20 keepers 1949 and older. One was silver! Some were in the '30s.

I will wait till I get a few rolls and put up for sale somewher.

Go to Top of Page

Crash
Penny Pincher Member

USA
155 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  15:55:36  Show Profile Send Crash a Private Message
I hoard nickels. I keep telling myself that once I get time I'm going to sort for war nickels(I actually can't wait to do this). As far as the other older ones go, I don't have the numismatic expertise to give you an informed opinion, but I agree with Ardent that 1959 & older nickels are rare. I don't see that many of them. If you have the space to keep them, it couldn't hurt.

Edited by - Crash on 02/19/2008 15:56:04
Go to Top of Page

aloneibreak
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
672 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  16:49:09  Show Profile Send aloneibreak a Private Message
keep the pre-60 nickels. they do sell for a small premium by the roll on ebay. however if your hoarding nickels by the box anyways its not worth sorting them out yet.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  17:02:37  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message
I might be wrong on this, but the production of nickels from 1954D and newer were minted in quantities of one hundred million and higher. Some of the earlier years were also in the 100 million quantity but this was not year after year after year numbers.
1946-1953 nickels were in the tens of millions per year.

The older nickels were squeezed out by the supply of newer nickels, by collectors trying to fill up their blue books, wear and tear, etc.

The older ones do pop up from time to time, I found my second 1939 from a change machine last year so older nickels are still in circulation.
Go to Top of Page

aboxaweek
Penny Collector Member

USA
326 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2008 :  22:12:08  Show Profile Send aboxaweek a Private Message
got quite a few of the 38-39.
a ton of the 64's
I would guess you would find more 38-41's more than the war nickles (42-45)

*HUCKABEE*
___08'____
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  16:07:49  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
I sorted 11 rolls of Ni today and only found 2 1942's, some post war 40's and one or two 50's that I kept. Nothing worth the time. The 42's were nickel variety.

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2