Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 My 3rd Panama Medio Balboa coin
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PennySaved
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1720 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  13:14:42  Show Profile Send PennySaved a Private Message
Since I started sorting halves, I have found 3 Panama Medio Balboas (1973,1975,1980)

Unfortunately none of them are silver

This seems to be the most common foreign coin I find going through halves.

Do you guys find many of these?

SELLING COPPER PENNIES 1.4X FACE SHIPPED......“I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principles of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale” Thomas Jefferson

Country
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  13:24:58  Show Profile Send Country a Private Message
I found 7 of these copper-nickel half dollar sized Balboas last year. I believe someone last year found an earlier (1930's) date 90% SILVER Medio Balboa.

---> Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org

The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
– Theodore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

PennySaved
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1720 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  16:05:06  Show Profile Send PennySaved a Private Message
Why do you think they are more common to find vs other foreign?

SELLING COPPER PENNIES 1.4X FACE SHIPPED......“I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principles of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale” Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

PennySaved
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1720 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  15:38:45  Show Profile Send PennySaved a Private Message
Today I found a $2 Canadian coin; it is not exactly the size of a half but it got into a bank wrapped roll.

Go to Top of Page

Country
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  17:16:17  Show Profile Send Country a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by PennySaved

Today I found a $2 Canadian coin; it is not exactly the size of a half but it got into a bank wrapped roll.

I've found a few of those $2 Canadians too. The Panama Balboas are a similar size and weight (12.5g) as the USA half dollar (11.34g). I guess that's why they show up so often in the half dollar rolls. Other coins, such as the Canadian $2 and the Mexico pesos have slightly different weight characteristics and are culled out more easily. My 2c anyway.

---> Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org

The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
– Theodore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

cesario
Penny Pincher Member

129 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2010 :  23:19:56  Show Profile Send cesario a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by PennySaved

Why do you think they are more common to find vs other foreign?

Because all of the Panamanian coins actually use the same blanks as US Coinage. They even converted to Curpo-Nickel coinage in 1966, a year after the US converted.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.13 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2