Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Related Topics, Learning and Information
 Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About
 Chainsaws
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  02:45:03  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
I figured some of ya'll use chainsaws on a regular basis. I never realized the differences that are available when it comes to buying a chainsaw. I had to buy on to cut up the pecan tree that fell in our yard. After buying a cheap Homelite from Home Depot I quickly realized I needed a better saw. So I bought a Husqvarna then a Echo CS-8000 (the biggest they make)

So if anyone is gonna stack wood to use for cooking/heat, make sure you go to a shop that sells small engines and buy a quality saw.

the difference is the same as handsorting , using a Ryedale Ace or the Apprentice. It is all in how fast you want the work done.

You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be.......SLICK

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  08:24:15  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
Husqvarna makes good machines. I think their quality has dropped off in the past few years.

My big saw is a stihl. Echo makes a great little saw the cs300. It really gets the job done and you don't get a worn out physically when you spend the day cutting.

Those crappy homeowners saws are a waste of money. If you have one big job youd be better off renting a good one or buying a good one a selling it after your job.

Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org
Go to Top of Page

fasteddy
Penny Collector Member

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  10:48:02  Show Profile Send fasteddy a Private Message
10-4 on that...i use a ECHO for my light duty stuff and rent the big boy when required....I remember seeing a chainsaw report...I think on Consumer Reports that the 150$ saws are good for 50 hours of work then toss em. Which is about how long my first saw lasted...
Go to Top of Page

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  12:57:50  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
Yes, the el-cheapos are not worth it. I was using a 46cc Homelite with a 20" bar and my buddy brought his Husqvarna 455 with 55cc's and he was making 2 1/2 cuts to my 1 cut. He also cut for 2 days w/o having to sharpen the chain and I had to put on a fresh chain after about a half days work.

Go to Top of Page

AGgressive Metal
Administrator

USA
1937 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  16:23:29  Show Profile Send AGgressive Metal a Private Message
Stihl (spelling?) just had a big international timbersports competition in Austria. Look it up online the American team won 2nd place. Very cool sport.

And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel / For nothyng is better than lyberte / For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world.
-Caxton's edition of Aesop's Fables, 1484
Go to Top of Page

TXTim
Penny Hoarding Member

629 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  21:20:38  Show Profile Send TXTim a Private Message
I used a McCullough for 25 years and then bought a Stihl pro model last year - good machine, very solid but it's a $600 machine.
They never go on sale but worth every penny.

Beer is my currency.
Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  21:51:12  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
I have a few Stihl machines, hedge trimmers, leaf blowers all heavy duty commercial stuff.

I have machines that have been in heavy-duty, hard core commercial use for ten years.

The warranties are great, life time ignition module.

The only engines I've lost are from dumb ass employees running clean fuel or putting the air filters on backwards and stuff like that. They are not allowed to take a tool, what so ever to my machines.

Echo is equally as good, but the commercial grade tools are a little more expensive.

I've had a Echo bearcat brush shredder for about three years now. That was a great investment and a great machine, a real money maker.

Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2010 :  21:58:13  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
A little more advise to ya'll about chain saws. Keep them clean keep the oil port clean.

Clean them after every use. Don't let it get dry. Don't let the chain get too dull. When the chips start turning to dust, put a new chain on and sharpen the old one. If you change your chains frequently and sharpen them before burning them up you can get more use out of them.

Use you air compressor and keep the bar clean, let that chain move free. Bars are expensive. If you run your saw dirty you'll burn up the motor.

Go to Top of Page

PennyPauper
Penny Collector Member

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  00:27:27  Show Profile Send PennyPauper a Private Message
The wife and I just bought a house in January which has 2 wood burners.There was 2 very large over 90 year old maples in front that had to go,broken limbs,rotted out sections and didn't want them to do damage to our new home.So I had looked around and got a good deal to have them removed,plus a few other trees that were problems.So I have alot of wood to keep the gas bill low this year.I had to do alot of research on what brand of chainsaw to buy since this is something totally new to me.I read lots of horror stories from folks who bought a lesser name saw.I decided on a stihl ms230c,was a few hundred more than I wanted to spend but I'm hoping it will be safer and less headaches.Planning on getting her going this weekend,along with the splitter I bought.From the comments here it looks like I made a good choice.I'll update after the weekend.

Available again! $100 of Copper Lincoln Memorials for $145 shipped.

Edited by - PennyPauper on 09/08/2010 00:28:38
Go to Top of Page

AgCollector
Penny Collector Member

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  08:15:50  Show Profile Send AgCollector a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by PennyPauper

The wife and I just bought a house in January which has 2 wood burners.There was 2 very large over 90 year old maples in front that had to go,broken limbs,rotted out sections and didn't want them to do damage to our new home.So I had looked around and got a good deal to have them removed,plus a few other trees that were problems.So I have alot of wood to keep the gas bill low this year.I had to do alot of research on what brand of chainsaw to buy since this is something totally new to me.I read lots of horror stories from folks who bought a lesser name saw.I decided on a stihl ms230c,was a few hundred more than I wanted to spend but I'm hoping it will be safer and less headaches.Planning on getting her going this weekend,along with the splitter I bought.From the comments here it looks like I made a good choice.I'll update after the weekend.

I just bought a Stihl MS-250 this summer myself (8 trees knocked down in a windstorm!) and it's performed wonderfully.
Go to Top of Page

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  08:51:33  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
Husqvarna and Stihl are the top 2. I know that in this area Husqvarna is the #1 used chainsaw by professionals. The Stihl's are great saws too and they both have good resale value compared to the other cheaper saws.

Go on youtube and put in the model number of your saw and there should be a video of the saw being uses or someone giving a review.

I take my chains to the local small engine shop that is a Husqvarna dealer and also does equipment rental. They sharpen the chains on their machine for $4.50. It sharpens and knocks some off of the depth gauges all at the same time. I have 2-3 chains for each saw so that I can put a fresh one on once one gets dull.

I also encourage SAFETY. The helmet with the ear and eye shield is a good item to have. I was clearing limbs and loading them on a trailer when a small piece of limb fell out of some branches and hit me in the eyebrow. It left a NASTY gash and had my eye swollen for 2 days. I was not wearing safety glasses since I didn't think that I would get hurt loading limbs on a trailer. It only takes a second to get hurt, so take the time to put on the safety gear.

Go to Top of Page

redneck
1000+ Penny Miser Member

1273 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  18:22:03  Show Profile Send redneck a Private Message

There's nothing wrong with a cheap saw as long as you understand it's limitations,
use quality oils, don't throw it in the dirt and keep it sharp.

But, if you want a saw to last...

High Quality or El cheap o...

Use synthetic two stroke oil.

And a good bar oil.

I use AMSOIL Saber™ Synthetic 100:1 Pre-Mix 2-Cycle Oil.

I mix mine at 80:1.

I have been using this product for 25 yrs.

The first saw that I bought 25yrs. ago still has the original plug in it...!!!

I've never had a failure because of the mix oil.

I run my saws, weed eaters, blowers and everything else two stroke with it.

As Crocodile' Dundee might say...

quote:
You call that a saw...? This is a saw...!!!

Husqvarna 3120 XP

Biggest saw they make - 8.4 hp

I use it on a saw mill I built.

Treat all saws the same.

Big ones, small ones, cheap ones and expensive ones.

Safety first.

They'll all bite you, if you give them the chance...

>

Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  19:20:28  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
Nice!

Go to Top of Page

TXTim
Penny Hoarding Member

629 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  21:26:36  Show Profile Send TXTim a Private Message
Redneck-

Now that's what I call a chainsaw!!!
How long does it take to sharpen a chain with a bar like that???

Beer is my currency.
Go to Top of Page

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  22:42:54  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
I saw a 3120 XP at the Husqvarna dealer with a 60" bar. It was $1800.00

Check this out

You must be logged in to see this link.

Go to Top of Page

PennyPauper
Penny Collector Member

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2010 :  23:56:32  Show Profile Send PennyPauper a Private Message
Damn thats a big saw! Do you have a halloween coustume picked out yet? :)

Available again! $100 of Copper Lincoln Memorials for $145 shipped.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2