Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Scrap Metal Salvage
 Scap LCD/Plasma
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

marius67

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2010 :  15:09:45  Show Profile Send marius67 a Private Message
Hello,

Im new to this forum so i would like start by saying hello to everybody

And I do have a question,

I recently came across a few lcd and plasma tvs, all the screens are broken in them, does anybody know if there is anything worth keeping in them or should i just recycle the whole thing as is, Thanks

rambo_k9
Penny Pincher Member

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2010 :  16:38:47  Show Profile Send rambo_k9 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by marius67

Hello,

Im new to this forum so i would like start by saying hello to everybody

And I do have a question,

I recently came across a few lcd and plasma tvs, all the screens are broken in them, does anybody know if there is anything worth keeping in them or should i just recycle the whole thing as is, Thanks

I just did a giant screen LCD TV... it was a bear but if you are truly looking to recycle/scrap/ and keep junk out of landfills its worth it. I scavenge EVERYTHING I can.. down to bolts, nuts, wires, not to mention the copper and circut boards. Use caution as the LCD tubes are filled with liquid. There is a good mirror used to project the image that I'm working on now. For me it was worth it other than being huge and going to be a pain in the butt to throw out. Have fun with it.

Looking for a great summer read?? Stop by www.glennrambo.com You think the US/Mexican border is bad now??
Go to Top of Page

rambo_k9
Penny Pincher Member

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 08/27/2010 :  20:00:11  Show Profile Send rambo_k9 a Private Message
I just did a giant screen LCD TV... it was a bear but if you are truly looking to recycle/scrap/ and keep junk out of landfills its worth it. I scavenge EVERYTHING I can.. down to bolts, nuts, wires, not to mention the copper and circut boards. Use caution as the LCD tubes are filled with liquid. There is a good mirror used to project the image that I'm working on now. For me it was worth it other than being huge and going to be a pain in the butt to throw out. Have fun with it.

Sorry about repost but I messed up the first one.

Looking for a great summer read?? Stop by www.glennrambo.com You think the US/Mexican border is bad now??
Go to Top of Page

marius67

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2010 :  13:44:55  Show Profile Send marius67 a Private Message
Did you do a LCD projection TV, or a LCD flat screen TV, I took a few LCD projection TVs apart before and there is a huge mirror in there but I dont see any mirror in any of the flat screen TVs
Go to Top of Page

mj74
Penny Sorter Member

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  22:03:41  Show Profile Send mj74 a Private Message
I have done a few big TV's,and they are time consuming,but they are worth it.

On a side note,eveyone keeps referring to the mirror in the TV,are these worth keeping? I did'nt think they had anything of value in them.

Edited by - mj74 on 08/29/2010 22:05:19
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Cadmium
Penny Sorter Member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 08/30/2010 :  22:15:44  Show Profile Send Dr. Cadmium a Private Message
LCD, Plasma and DLP TVs - sell to an individual or company who repairs TVs. These are almost always worth many times scrap value. If the screen is cracked or smashed they're still usually worth money for parts, especially more expensive and newer models.

CRT TVs - Avoid these unless you have a good outlet for them. Some people do still repair them, as there's strong demand for cheap TV sets. If you're lucky you can find places that recycle these for free. Most charge by the pound or screen size to recycle them.

Rear Projection TVs - Just say NO to these. With few exceptions these aren't worth the time and space to deal with and they're expensive to get rid of.
Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2010 :  10:51:48  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Cadmium
CRT TVs - Avoid these unless you have a good outlet for them. Some people do still repair them, as there's strong demand for cheap TV sets. If you're lucky you can find places that recycle these for free. Most charge by the pound or screen size to recycle them.

Around here there seems to be about a $40 minimum to get rid of crt's tv's and monitors.

The County offers a free recycling event once a year for residents. Maybe counties in other areas offer free recycling events for equipment and stuff as well.

"99% of all lawyers give the rest of them a bad name"

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2