Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Scrap Metal Salvage
 Cast Iron
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sillllvar

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2010 :  18:24:35  Show Profile Send sillllvar a Private Message
Has anyone in new england Scrapped any cast Iron in the last week? I'm wondering what you are getting for prices. I'm in NH.

Cheers
Al

Dr. Cadmium
Penny Sorter Member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2010 :  20:57:40  Show Profile Send Dr. Cadmium a Private Message
$0.08/lb earlier this week. If you have a full ton or more and shop around you should be able to get better.
Go to Top of Page

sillllvar

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2010 :  05:11:14  Show Profile Send sillllvar a Private Message
Thanks for the reply :)

Now would I be right in thinking that light steel would be less than cast or is all steel considered the same price? I'm a Noob so forgive me for the daft questions :)

all the best
Al
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Cadmium
Penny Sorter Member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2010 :  22:37:27  Show Profile Send Dr. Cadmium a Private Message
Steel and cast iron, while different metals are usually classified the same at most scrap facilities, and therefore pay the same amount.

"Heavy" steel and cast iron aka the confusing name "tin" is generally anything a magnet sticks to that's at least 1/8" thick.

"Light" steel, aka "shredder scrap" or "sheet tin" is generally anything a magnet sticks to that's under 1/8" thick. Most yards allow for some contamination in this category. Whole appliances, metal with a small amount of plastic attached, whole lawnmowers, etc.

Heavy steel/iron tends to go for close to double what light goes for, example: $0.08/lb vs. $0.04/lb.

Note that there are other classifications for steel. Prepared and sorted steel that's at least 1/4" thick will sell for a premium as #1 steel.

Many yards price steel by the ton, not the pound. Some also have higher minimum weights for steel than for other metals, sometimes as much 1 ton.

And one more note: the scrap metal prices in New England tend to be lower than other parts of the country.
Go to Top of Page

sillllvar

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 08/29/2010 :  20:37:03  Show Profile Send sillllvar a Private Message
Thanks again for the Info. I called my local yard and they told me cast was 6 cents and light steel is 4 cents a pound. Thankfully they said we will take whatever you have. This was quoted on Fri 27 Aug.

Cheers
Al
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2