Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 Gold - Buy big or small?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

darsemnos
Penny Sorter Member

96 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  19:10:03  Show Profile Send darsemnos a Private Message
Say you wanted to buy gold. Forget for now the arguments in favor of silver vs gold, or visa versa.

What would you do? But a fraction of an ounce regularly in 1, 2 grams, 1/10 oz, or save up an buy it in larger quantities, 1 oz or more?

I've been reading up on the freegold blog. It has an interesting take on gold, that I have to admit is influencing my thinking significantly on this matter.

Market Harmony
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1274 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  19:41:32  Show Profile Send Market Harmony a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by darsemnos

Say you wanted to buy gold. Forget for now the arguments in favor of silver vs gold, or visa versa.

What would you do? But a fraction of an ounce regularly in 1, 2 grams, 1/10 oz, or save up an buy it in larger quantities, 1 oz or more?

I've been reading up on the freegold blog. It has an interesting take on gold, that I have to admit is influencing my thinking significantly on this matter.

The larger size that you buy, the smaller the premium you pay. Gold is easily divisible and there are many tests that you can perform to confirm purity.

goto the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org
Go to Top of Page

Neckro
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Saudi Arabia
2080 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  19:57:50  Show Profile  Send Neckro an AOL message  Click to see Neckro's MSN Messenger address  Send Neckro a Yahoo! Message Send Neckro a Private Message
I'd buy smaller. It's easier to find 10 buyers willing to pay 150 a coin, then finding 1 to spend 1300

Trolling is an art.
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2010 :  20:04:27  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
I buy one ounce coins. I save my money until I have enough. I then try to time my buys during dips in the market. I also try to get as much gold as I can for my money. That means I try to pay as little premiums as I can. When I sell I never have any problem finding a buyer. Gold coins are very liquid.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

argent_pur
Penny Sorter Member

78 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  00:39:25  Show Profile Send argent_pur a Private Message
I buy both large and small coins. My largest is Mexico 50 Peso (1.2057 AGW) and my smallest is a Mexico 5 Peso (.1205 AGW). One-tenth oz. have too high premium for my liking. Mexican gold pesos offer the absolute best price over spot. I also have 100 Coronas and 100 Koronas, Krugerrands (1 oz.-1/4 oz.), and French Roosters (and also, hypocritically), a St. Gaudens $20 Double Eagle for historical value). Diversify with different sizes is what I say b/c you don't know what will happen. I'm taking the Michael Kosares approach to safe-haven investing. Good luck whatever you decide

Edited by - argent_pur on 07/14/2010 00:40:00
Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  06:31:39  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
agree one should diversify.

the smaller you buy the more of your money goes into the premium than into gold.

i dont' like anything below 1/10 ounce because its not a coin and a bit more difficult to measure.

the thing with the smaller sizes is they can be hard to find. if you find them at a reasonable price, buy them.

Buying:
Peace/Morgan G+ at $15.00
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

highroller4321
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2648 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  10:40:26  Show Profile Send highroller4321 a Private Message
1/2oz to 1oz because you want to try to avoid the premiums. Gold coins are liquid so you shouldn't have a problem selling almost any size.

Copper Penny Investing
www.portlandmint.com
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  12:29:39  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
What everyone else said about the premiums means you will always get more for your money if you supersize Save your money and do like Ardent does. If you just have to have some smaller fractions, then wait for a severe pullback to buy them. I wonder if you'd have any luck offering to trade an ounce for fractionals on Craigslist? You might also sell some junk 90% silver to APMEX on a spike, and take gold fractionals "in trade." Just wait until the ratio is in your favor.

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

natsb88
Administrator

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  18:35:34  Show Profile Send natsb88 a Private Message
I only deal with the small stuff. Yes, they have higher premiums, but in my experience those premiums exist when you're buying AND when you're selling, so it's really not a big deal unless you're planning to sell your coins as scrap. I like the added liquidity of small gold; I can buy/sell $130 dollars at a time instead of $1300.

Nate
The Copper Cave

Go to Top of Page

Roadrunner
Penny Collector Member

USA
413 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2010 :  21:31:58  Show Profile Send Roadrunner a Private Message
Just my opinion, but I think the 1/10th ozs. are almost too small. They're a good bit smaller than a dime and very hard to see even with good vision. I like the 1/4, 1/2 and 1 ouncers.
Go to Top of Page

totalcount
Penny Sorter Member

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  13:22:23  Show Profile Send totalcount a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Thrower

the thing with the smaller sizes is they can be hard to find. if you find them at a reasonable price, buy them.

I think the smaller sizes might be hard to find even if you know where you put them.
Go to Top of Page

Jangles
Penny Sorter Member

31 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2010 :  16:44:45  Show Profile Send Jangles a Private Message
If you have to pay a premium and you want to buy small I'd suggest the mexican 5, 10, and 20 peso coins. These have the lowest premiums and are close to 1/10, 1/4, and 1/2 ounce.

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

Oldpagan
Penny Sorter Member

USA
62 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2010 :  10:22:11  Show Profile Send Oldpagan a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jangles

If you have to pay a premium and you want to buy small I'd suggest the mexican 5, 10, and 20 peso coins. These have the lowest premiums and are close to 1/10, 1/4, and 1/2 ounce.

You must be logged in to see this link.

Great Idea! Thanks!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2010 :  12:26:26  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by totalcount

quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Thrower

I think the smaller sizes might be hard to find even if you know where you put them.

in case you are serious, what i meant was that not all dealers carry fractional gold, and those that do do not always carry them. availability is limited. if you see them at a reasonable premium you should buy because you might not get another chance. the amount of fractional relative to full ounce gold is but a fraction, no pun intended.

Buying:
Peace/Morgan G+ at $15.00
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

Kurr
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2906 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2010 :  12:43:39  Show Profile Send Kurr a Private Message
I'm poor, so I like fractionals. Preferably with an A&M logo on them.

If I'd have had to wait till I could "save" up enough for an ounce, it would never have happened.

The silver [is] mine, and the gold [is] mine, saith the LORD of hosts. Hag 2:8 [/b]
He created it. He controls it. He gave it to us for His use. Why did we turn from sound scriptural currency that PROTECTS us?

KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The book of The Hundreds: http://www.land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/boh/bookOfTheHundreds_v4.1.pdf
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE_TWO_REPUBLICS.pdf
Good reading: http://ecclesia.org/truth/government.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2