Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Related Topics, Learning and Information
 Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About
 Why I'm stocking up on canned mackerel
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  02:24:03  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
Someone asked me earlier tonight on my blog why I'm stocking up on canned mackerel instead of salmon or tuna. Here's what I wrote:

Well, for one thing, mackerel doesn't usually carry the risk of mercury content that tuna has -- jack mackerel isn't as high up the food chain, so to speak, as tuna is -- since tuna eat so many smaller fish and typically grow so large, their tissues will accumulate large amounts of mercury, much more per pound of body weight than other fish, including and especially mackerel.

Beyond that, my main preference for mackerel over salmon is that canned mackerel only costs about half as much as canned salmon. According to the info on the cans I’ve got in my pantry, the shelf life of canned mackerel is at least three years, so it’s easy to store a lot of protein for a long time in a relatively small space. Take a look at this photo:

Each case of canned mackerel has 12 cans, and in this picture each case of mackerel on the right is stacked two deep. According to this nutrition information, each can of mackerel contains roughly 78 grams of protein, more than enough protein for the average person per day under average circumstances:

You must be logged in to see this link.

However, in a grid-down or other labor-intensive environment, obviously our bodies are going to need more protein as physical activity compensates for the lack of machine-assisted activity (we’ll probably be walking and lifting a lot more than we do now):

You must be logged in to see this link.

Let’s say just for the sake of argument that mackerel is my main source of protein (which it isn’t — I’m storing it as a complement to beans/rice and other cured or preserved meats). If the mackerel were my sole (pun intended) source of protein, I could store a year’s worth of dietary protein for one person in the space in the photo above. And besides being a very compact protein source, mackerel (just like salmon) is high in omega-3 fatty acids, which help lower “bad” cholesterol and promote overall heart health.

And in terms of nutritional density, fish is just about the best source of protein on the planet. There’s only about 12 cases of mackerel in the photo above (the boxes on the far left side aren’t mackerel), but assuming I want to store a year’s worth of protein in the form of mackerel, I can stack 30 cases of mackerel three wide, two deep and five high in the space you see in the photo. And now with my basic protein requirements taken care of, I can focus on the rest of my food acquisitions…which leads me to the point that I’ve had a lot of people really turn their noses up at the thought of eating canned mackerel because 1.) they don’t like fish, and 2.) it’s canned mackerel. That’s why I’ve got at least 30 quarts (you read that correctly: quarts) of spices running the gamut from cayenne to cumin to dehydrated onion to oregano to garlic to cajun seasoning and many other spices. Take a look at these photos:

The thing most of us learn in college is that if we put enough ketchup or Tabasco on the food, it will cover up the taste. But fish doesn’t have to taste bad! And if you add just the right spice combinations, instead of just mackerel, you can turn it into everything from fish tacos which don’t taste like fish to cajun-style stews to just plain vegetable soup with spiced-up mackerel thrown in for protein.

Americans tend to look at meat or fish or chicken or other animal protein as a main dish rather than a side dish, but we really don’t need a lot of protein under most circumstances to meet our dietary needs. So if I can get my basic protein needs from mackerel (or possibly chicken — I have a case or two of dehydrated chicken I’ve made myself) or whatever, we can have incredible-tasting dishes thanks to the spices, get our protein needs and not have to either starve or gag.

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp

PennyPauper
Penny Collector Member

USA
395 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  08:31:45  Show Profile Send PennyPauper a Private Message
Good read.Thanks for the ideas.Never thought about stocking up on spices.I'm not a hugh fish fan either but mackerel seems to be a good choice.Do you have redhot or hot sauces in the pantry?

Available again! $100 of Copper Lincoln Memorials for $145 shipped.
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  12:50:04  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by PennyPauper

Good read.Thanks for the ideas.Never thought about stocking up on spices.I'm not a hugh fish fan either but mackerel seems to be a good choice.Do you have redhot or hot sauces in the pantry?

I have one large bottle of hot sauce that I got at Walmart, but I get a lot more mileage out of dry spices because they take up less space and have a longer shelf life in theory than sauces. But I'm keeping my eyes open for any good buy on spices, hot sauces or anything else like that.

---------------

Go to Top of Page

battlecat
Penny Pincher Member

152 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  13:05:57  Show Profile Send battlecat a Private Message
I wonder if anyone stocks up on protein powder or other supplements?
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  18:36:33  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by battlecat

I wonder if anyone stocks up on protein powder or other supplements?

That would be cost-prohibitive. The key is food to survive on, not culinary luxuries.

---------------

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05