Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Scrap Metal Salvage
 Scrapping safes
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

messymessy
Penny Sorter Member

88 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2010 :  20:37:41  Show Profile Send messymessy a Private Message
Has anyone ever scraped old safes? Any guesses what they're made of?

How about ATM machines? They're really heavy. Any guesses what you might get for one scrapped?

natsb88
Administrator

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2010 :  21:37:18  Show Profile Send natsb88 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by messymessy

How about ATM machines? They're really heavy. Any guesses what you might get for one scrapped?

Arrested?

Nate
The Copper Cave

Go to Top of Page

jacer333
Penny Pincher Member

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2010 :  01:35:16  Show Profile Send jacer333 a Private Message
I can't imagine anything that would scream red flag louder than rolling in and trying to scrap an ATM!!
Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2010 :  08:23:05  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
I did find a small safe once. Best I could tell was it was all steel. I got steel price on it at the yard. I guess the scrap value of an ATM could vary depending on the last time it was filled!! :) Joking aside, I think it would be interesting to take an ATM apart. It's probably computer boards, wiring and small motors. I think I have as much fun taking things apart as I do cashing them in!

Are you throwing that out?
Go to Top of Page

messymessy
Penny Sorter Member

88 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2010 :  20:32:01  Show Profile Send messymessy a Private Message
I see used ATM's and safes sell at auctions for a little bit of nothing. ATM's weigh 800 to 1000 pounds. They have to have steel or lead or something good in there, but I've never had the nerve to bid.
Go to Top of Page

cesario
Penny Pincher Member

129 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  00:32:39  Show Profile Send cesario a Private Message
I saw this old Japanese TV Program (Soko Ga Shiritai) once and they were doing something on money or something. Anyway, they showed a segment where they scrapped safes with a guillotine machine. The safes they destroyed had two layers of steel (Outer and Inner), and a core of Concrete.

They then went to a safe maker, where one of the standards in making a safe is that the space between the safe body and door would catch a piece of paper (Fireproofing measure?) and if you close a safe door, a whoosh of air escapes escapes the safe.
Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  09:38:55  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
Back in my construction days, I worked on a bank building and helped construct the vault. That was an interesting assignment.Those things are massively put together!

Are you throwing that out?
Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  09:57:29  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
lol well done nat! I had a scrap kid in the area scrap an old safe for me that was in a house I bought. was open and empty. I'll try and see what he got for it

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

messymessy
Penny Sorter Member

88 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2010 :  18:51:49  Show Profile Send messymessy a Private Message
I drove by an ATM today and realized that I should clarify a previous assertion. The small walk-up ATM's like you see inside a convenience store weigh about 1000 pounds. I've no clue what the parking lot ATM's weigh.
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  00:16:01  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
why scrap a good safe? can't you have a locksmith to 'rekey' it? Then it is a good metal saver once again!

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

carolinajunkman

6 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2010 :  08:10:14  Show Profile Send carolinajunkman a Private Message
I did one recently. It had been in a friends office for twenty years. He didnt know the combo. So he drilled about 20 holes in it to get it open. He found nothing but old check stubs from the 60s and 70s. He thought his dad may have left a small fortune in there. Scrap value was about $40. Took about an hour to dismantle, and two men to lift onto the truck.
Go to Top of Page

WheatieFan
Penny Pincher Member

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2010 :  16:09:33  Show Profile Send WheatieFan a Private Message
I have a small safe from the 1950s.

Inside is the original 'thanks for buying our product' document, which states that it is made from sheet steel with a middle layer of asbestos.

I wouldn't want to drill into it or dismantle it.

-wheatiefan
Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2010 :  18:25:47  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
the safe I had was sitting on a stone floor in a garage and was all rusty and nasty. not worth putting money into it

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2010 :  19:20:15  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
i see

Go to Top of Page

rambo_k9
Penny Pincher Member

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  09:23:16  Show Profile Send rambo_k9 a Private Message
My brother in law just bought an old uncle's lake cabin. In the lower level is a 4ft by 3ft HEAVY steel safe. We're going to look to scrap it as he's cleaning up the property. Lots of stuff to scrap. Will try to post a pic of the safe before it goes but its gotta way every bit of 400lbs.

Looking for a great summer read?? Stop by www.glennrambo.com You think the US/Mexican border is bad now??
Go to Top of Page

wayne1956
Penny Pincher Member

177 Posts

Posted - 07/19/2010 :  09:40:07  Show Profile Send wayne1956 a Private Message
A club I belong to was donated an old safe that is about 5' X 5', and needless to say extremely heavy. It is so old that a lot of the outside iron sheeting has rusted off, revealing a thick concrete wall. We are going to have to bust this concrete out with sledge hammers before we can scrap it.
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2010 :  23:45:28  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
Sounds like fun!

Go to Top of Page

wayne1956
Penny Pincher Member

177 Posts