Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Scrap Metal Salvage
 Iron or Steel?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jacer333
Penny Pincher Member

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2010 :  01:41:18  Show Profile Send jacer333 a Private Message
Are there any good quick ways to differentiate iron from steel? I am finding a lot of stuff that I am unsure which it is. Is there a significant price difference that the two bring? Or should I just be mindful to set aside aluminum, copper, and brass and throw the rest of my scrap in a pile?

wayne1956
Penny Pincher Member

177 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2010 :  07:18:28  Show Profile Send wayne1956 a Private Message
I personally pretty much separate out the copper, brass and aluminum and put the rest into the tin pile. For me, if it is magnetic (and both iron and steel are magnetic) it goes into the tin pile. The only time I separate it is if I happen to get a big load of long iron, as it pays better than tin.
Go to Top of Page

simplicitycounts
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
535 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2010 :  07:46:13  Show Profile Send simplicitycounts a Private Message
I put anything that sticks to a magnet in the sheet iron pile. In my area usually gets 3 cents a pound. Worst I have ever been paid 2 cents a pound, best 7 cents a pound. It isn't cost effective to truck it in my area so the pay is pretty good considering.
Go to Top of Page

hobo finds
Penny Hoarding Member

838 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2010 :  12:46:56  Show Profile Send hobo finds a Private Message
I just keep them in the same pile as well. I do think that you can get a few cents more for iron. Here is some info on the different types of iron and steel You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

hobo finds
Penny Hoarding Member

838 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2010 :  12:56:09  Show Profile Send hobo finds a Private Message
You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

Kurr
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2906 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2010 :  14:38:33  Show Profile Send Kurr a Private Message
The difference between Iron and Steel is Carbon content. You can use an angle grinder to test.

Spark Testing is used to identify different types of steel. Carvers are always unearthing tools at flea markets or reviving tools passed down through generations. Sometimes it is just a tool that has been over sharpened and it was your favorite. Whatever the case, these are tools that you would like to be able to rework. In order to do that you must know the steel. This is the only way to know how to properly work the steel. Deferent alloys will require different heats and methods for heat treating and using the wrong ones will only make the matter worse. We are constantly being asked to heat treat existing tools and unfortunately this is not as easy as it once was. Spark testing used to be an easy, quick and accurate way to determine the type of steel. Then you could proceed with proper heat treating. In today's world of steels there are virtually thousands of different alloy combinations used in industry and this makes spark testing all the more difficult. Even the manufacturer will change the type of steel from batch to batch. This makes it virtually impossible to properly identify the type of steel. Therefore, spark testing is not used as it once was, but it can be used to get a rough classification.
Sparks will fly off steel when put to a grinding wheel and each kind of steel produces a different color and volume of sparks. The volume of sparks depends on the carbon content. Wrought iron, which has very low carbon produces very few sparks. High carbon produces many sparks. Here are a few examples of what to look for when spark testing.

or

Both links have illustrations.

I can put a piece of high carbon steel in my forge and get it hot enough with natural charcoal and air that when I pull it out, it looks like a 4th of July sparkler, just burns it up, and the carbon is what is "sparking out".

The silver [is] mine, and the gold [is] mine, saith the LORD of hosts. Hag 2:8 [/b]
He created it. He controls it. He gave it to us for His use. Why did we turn from sound scriptural currency that PROTECTS us?

KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The book of The Hundreds: http://www.land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/boh/bookOfTheHundreds_v4.1.pdf
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE_TWO_REPUBLICS.pdf
Good reading: http://ecclesia.org/truth/government.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears

Go to Top of Page

hobo finds
Penny Hoarding Member

838 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2010 :  18:53:57  Show Profile Send hobo finds a Private Message
Kurr cool info! I need to get a grinder and have my own 4th of July party!
Go to Top of Page

jacer333
Penny Pincher Member

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2010 :  20:25:06  Show Profile Send jacer333 a Private Message
Thanks for the links hobo, and great info Kurr! That planet metals site was especially helpful. What are the typical prices for steel and iron respectively? Sounds like iron brings a slightly higher price but it may not be worth the time to separate them.
Go to Top of Page

Treasurekidd
Penny Sorter Member

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2010 :  20:33:25  Show Profile Send Treasurekidd a Private Message
I don't bother to sort ferrous metals. If it's magnetic, it goes in one pile, if it's non magnetic, it gets sorted by type (brass, copper, bronze, stainless or aluminum.)

Ebay Stuff: http://shop.ebay.com/pktchng/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=25
Go to Top of Page

mjcurley3
Penny Sorter Member

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2010 :  06:30:13  Show Profile Send mjcurley3 a Private Message
I dont sort the metal at all I just haul it up there and help them sort it around the scale.
Go to Top of Page

jacer333
Penny Pincher Member

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2010 :  09:12:03  Show Profile Send jacer333 a Private Message
Thanks for the advice everyone...I'll just head that route with one big pile of ferrous metals and pick out my copper, brass, and aluminum from there.
Go to Top of Page

wayne1956
Penny Pincher Member

177 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2010 :  09:35:58  Show Profile Send wayne1956 a Private Message
That is your best bet.
Go to Top of Page

hobo finds
Penny Hoarding Member

838 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2010 :  12:27:13  Show Profile Send hobo finds a Private Message
It is best to have your stuff seperated before you get there. That way it is faster and the yard staff wont be looking too close for missed screws or gaskets on your Alum. Seperate out the different types of Aluminum, Extruded, Cast, Painted and MLC. Good Luck and have some fun!

I just turned in 300 lbs of iron and got paid the same as sheet steel. So don't bother! Turn it in all as one!

Edited by - hobo finds on 06/16/2010 19:35:16
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2