Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Scrap Metal Salvage
 Pb - useful or not??
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Investin Cents
Penny Pincher Member

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  22:14:34  Show Profile Send Investin Cents a Private Message
OK, it is not a "bullion" metal and not exactly what one normally looks for to scrap or use much on their own. But I recently came across several pounds of the heavy, greyish, soft metal in a person's home. (They were using it for fishing-line weights and casting their own sizes.)

Should I shun this stuff like plutonium?

Or keep some for future uses, such as ????

Thanks all!

Most recent book I've read: "Meltdown" by Thomas E. Woods Jr. Current book: "I.O.U.: Why Everyone Owes Everyone & No One Can Pay" by John Lanchester

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  22:43:11  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
Don't lick it.

Seriously, you may need a permit to handle or dispose of it, not to mention a superb ventilation system. Are you positive that it's lead?

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp
Go to Top of Page

natsb88
Administrator

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2010 :  23:12:25  Show Profile Send natsb88 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelless
Seriously, you may need a permit to handle or dispose of it, not to mention a superb ventilation system. Are you positive that it's lead?

Huh?!? I have a stack of the stuff (999 fine ingots) and I think most scrap yards will buy it as well (that's why they buy car batteries). Lead is still used in many products. It's used in many alloys to make metal more machinable. It's used in batteries. It's used in solder (not for water pipes). Obviously it's used in ammunition.

I'm no lawyer, but I don't think buying/selling lead is a big deal if it is clearly identified as lead. Throwing it in the dump might be frowned upon, and certainly things like outdoor lead paint removal (where you could be exposing other people to airborne particles) are regulated, but having a chunk in your basement shouldn't be an issue. Just don't lick it or melt it and breathe the fumes Wash your hands after handling if it's a concern.

I think lead only becomes a legal issue if it's in a product and you don't disclose it, or if it's in a specifically regulated product (in paint on made-in-China children's toys, for instance, or in gasoline).

Nate
The Copper Cave

Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  09:37:24  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
My bad, Nate, I've never had occasion to work with lead, I guess in my mind I was lumping it in with mercury and other elements that cause neurological damage.

I take that back, I guess I work with lead every weekend, it's just at 1280 feet per second at the range.

---------------

Go to Top of Page

hobo finds
Penny Hoarding Member

838 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  14:17:18  Show Profile Send hobo finds a Private Message
I got .15 a pound for auto batts. I am sure you will get much more without the plastic and acid in pure form
Go to Top of Page

aloneibreak
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
672 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  14:40:22  Show Profile Send aloneibreak a Private Message
lead prices are down a bit right now - like a bunch of other base metals.

ive got a bucket almost full of old wheel weights, sinkers and various other chunks

i'd save it if i were you. either wait till prices go up a bit and sell as scrap or get someone to mold some bullets for you

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

hobo finds
Penny Hoarding Member

838 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  18:24:11  Show Profile Send hobo finds a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by aloneibreak

lead prices are down a bit right now - like a bunch of other base metals.

ive got a bucket almost full of old wheel weights, sinkers and various other chunks

i'd save it if i were you. either wait till prices go up a bit and sell as scrap or get someone to mold some bullets for you

On the wheel weights do you need to remove the steel or do they pay the same with it on?

Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  19:34:40  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
How about a Pb and jelly sandwich?

---------------

Go to Top of Page

Investin Cents
Penny Pincher Member

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  19:49:23  Show Profile Send Investin Cents a Private Message
Oh, it's real Lead alright. He probably collected scrap from construction sites he worked at. He melted & molded it himself into fishing weights for lines & nets. It is extremely dense (heavy) and soft enough so that I can scratch it with my fingernail.

I see from Kitco it goes for less per pound than Zinc or Aluminum. I may have 20 or more pounds. I'll keep it in case TSHTF. Yes, I have been careful to clean-up after handling.

Lead bullets? I thought they made them from steel nowadays? (For example, they call the mini-gun on military aircraft "steel rain", yes?)

Thanks all!

Most recent book I've read: "Meltdown" by Thomas E. Woods Jr. Current book: "I.O.U.: Why Everyone Owes Everyone & No One Can Pay" by John Lanchester
Go to Top of Page

aloneibreak
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
672 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  19:51:34  Show Profile Send aloneibreak a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by hobo finds

On the wheel weights do you need to remove the steel or do they pay the same with it on?

ive been working on filling this bucket for a few years so i havent taken any in to find out !

i think according to this you can leave the metal clips on...

You must be logged in to see this link.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

messymessy
Penny Sorter Member

88 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2010 :  20:20:56  Show Profile Send messymessy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelless

How about a Pb and jelly sandwich?

I thought that was really funny.
Go to Top of Page

misteroman
Administrator

USA
2565 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  21:10:40  Show Profile Send misteroman a Private Message
what is lead a lb these days? I have a few ppl at tires shops that would save the old weights

Buying CU cents!!!! Paying 1.2 unlimited amounts wanted. Can pick up if near Ohio area.
Go to Top of Page

hobo finds
Penny Hoarding Member

838 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  21:18:54  Show Profile Send hobo finds a Private Message
.09 a pound for auto batteries. But i still want to know if you turn in wheel weights do you need to remove the steel?
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2010 :  06:25:53  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Investin Cents

Oh, it's real Lead alright. He probably collected scrap from construction sites he worked at. He melted & molded it himself into fishing weights for lines & nets. It is extremely dense (heavy) and soft enough so that I can scratch it with my fingernail.

I see from Kitco it goes for less per pound than Zinc or Aluminum. I may have 20 or more pounds. I'll keep it in case TSHTF. Yes, I have been careful to clean-up after handling.

Lead bullets? I thought they made them from steel nowadays? (For example, they call the mini-gun on military aircraft "steel rain", yes?)

Thanks all!

No sir. Most, but not all, ammo is at least lead core. Most recreational rounds are copper jacketed lead bullets. There are rounds with steel cores, but those have restricted ownership in some states. Luckly not mine, hehe.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2