Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Scrap Metal Salvage
 stainless
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

phatboy2014

1 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2010 :  23:27:32  Show Profile Send phatboy2014 a Private Message
ive just come accros a few hundred pounds of stainless steel but when i checked it it was magnetic. Does this have any value or do i just put it in my scrap steel pile

cptindy
Penny Hoarding Member

572 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  07:56:04  Show Profile Send cptindy a Private Message
Scrap,

Make sure to check all pieces. Sometimes they are mixed together, let's say in restaurant equipment, table legs versus table top.

I could be wrong but I have never gotten anything for that metal.

"It is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting"

" The average man doesn't want to be free. He wants to be safe."

H.L. Mencken

http://silver-news-today.com/
Go to Top of Page

cpthnsolo
Penny Sorter Member

50 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  08:46:29  Show Profile Send cpthnsolo a Private Message
Stainless steel is typically non-magnetic but it can be partially magnetic as well. Does your magnet have the same attraction to the stainless as regular steel?

quote:
I could be wrong but I have never gotten anything for that metal.

One of the yards around here was paying $.75/lb for stainless so phatboy should definitely call around. Just let them know it's magnetic stainless when you call. Good luck :)

Go to Top of Page

hobo finds
Penny Hoarding Member

838 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  13:19:13  Show Profile Send hobo finds a Private Message
Generaly put it with your steel. One time i had them tell me it was dirty stainless and i got .15 a pound for it. If you have a bunch I would call and see if they will pay more than the steel price.
Go to Top of Page

NiBullionCu
Penny Pincher Member

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  14:24:17  Show Profile Send NiBullionCu a Private Message
Austenitic grades are those alloys which are commonly in use for stainless applications. The austenitic grades are not magnetic. The most common austenitic alloys are iron-chromium-nickel steels and are widely known as the 300 series.

Martensitic grades of stainless steel ...are magnetic and can be hardened by heat treating. The martensitic grades are mainly used where hardness, strength, and wear resistance are required. (typically grades 410 - 440)

Ferritic grades have been developed to provide a group of stainless steel to resist corrosion and oxidation, while being highly resistant to stress corrosion cracking. These steels are magnetic but cannot be hardened or strengthened by heat treatment. (typically grades 430 - 446)

Magnetic stainless, from reports on this forum, seem to be less desirable, or the yards do not pay a premium for it.
Go to Top of Page

bruce hylton
Penny Pincher Member

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2010 :  16:36:57  Show Profile Send bruce hylton a Private Message
If you come across 18-8, it can be magnetic and is worth the same as non-magnetic. Do a spark test. You can find it on the net. Last week I got 87 cents a pound.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2