Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 What's the best way to ask for nickels at a bank?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PointOmega
Penny Sorter Member

50 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  10:12:46  Show Profile Send PointOmega a Private Message
How does everybody ask for large quantities of nickels at a bank? Do you ask for a certain amount of rolls like I do, which is usually about 15 rolls or 30 dollars. (I bring my own bag) Or do you ask for a box of nickels. Will the teller roll her eyes at me for making this request, since it requires she get off her butt and lift something somewhat heavy. And while on the subject of boxes, is it considered appropriate to ask for more than one box of nickels per bank visit? I use Bank of America in a decent size town. What do you all think? Thanks in advance for responses.

aloneibreak
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
672 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  14:12:19  Show Profile Send aloneibreak a Private Message
when i was paid weekly i got $20 a week when i cashed my check no problem. i usually couldnt budget in for a whole box.

i think its polite to ask them to order - especially if its multiple boxes.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  14:51:21  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
I just ask what would best for the teller. They will tell what day and what will work out.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  14:58:01  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
I never ask for nickels. They are usually just thrilled that I am willing to take all their CWR's. Sometimes it is 5 or 10 rolls.. sometimes it is a couple of hundred rolls.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  19:15:24  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
One of my banks has $100 bags that they'd otherwise ship back to the Fed. I've started picking those up instead of asking another branch to order boxes for me.

Hoard, isn't a couple hundred rolls an awfully small pickup for you?

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp

Edited by - Nickelless on 04/18/2010 19:16:01
Go to Top of Page

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  20:46:20  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
Hoard like to go back to the earlier days when he was just starting once in a while.
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2010 :  20:54:17  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by dakota1955

Hoard like to go back to the earlier days when he was just starting once in a while.

You mean when he didn't have to sort coppers because they were ALL coppers?

---------------

Go to Top of Page

PointOmega
Penny Sorter Member

50 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  18:47:37  Show Profile Send PointOmega a Private Message
when they were all copper??? have to go back 20 years for those glory days.
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  18:55:52  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by PointOmega

when they were all copper??? have to go back 20 years for those glory days.

1982 and before was when pennies were 95 percent copper. I think Hoard knows a little bit about copper that he might be willing to tell you.

---------------

Edited by - Nickelless on 04/19/2010 18:59:16
Go to Top of Page

Copper Catcher
Administrator

USA
2092 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2010 :  20:47:34  Show Profile Send Copper Catcher a Private Message
I know I have mentioned this before but what makes a nickel have valuable above the face value is the copper content.

It is true that you can buy a box of nickels and put them up and not sort them and you do have a slim chance of finding a war nickel that has silver in them.

Ok, but let's look at the facts if you are planning on gathering a little horde of coins and you have a small budget. What really makes more sense or should I say cents?

Using Coinflation: You must be logged in to see this link.

$1.00 in .05 = Total melt value is $1.25.

$1.00 in 95% Copper .01 = Total melt value is $2.31.

So, do you want to put $1 in nickels to see a .25 return or do you think it would be better to put $1.00 in copper pennies and see a return of $1.31? Again, it is your call....
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  01:03:29  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Copper Catcher

I know I have mentioned this before but what makes a nickel have valuable above the face value is the copper content.

It is true that you can buy a box of nickels and put them up and not sort them and you do have a slim chance of finding a war nickel that has silver in them.

Ok, but let's look at the facts if you are planning on gathering a little horde of coins and you have a small budget. What really makes more sense or should I say cents?

So, do you want to put $1 in nickels to see a .25 return or do you think it would be better to put $1.00 in copper pennies and see a return of $1.31? Again, it is your call....

The tradeoff is copper percentages in our area and how much time we have to sort. I sold my Ryedale a little over a year ago because I didn't have time to sort pennies as I was commuting 150 miles twice a week and working insane hours (and I still am). At least with nickels I can rest assured that I have 75 percent copper if I don't have time to sort, and I'm sure there are other base-metalheads in the same boat I'm in.

---------------

Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2010 :  01:31:27  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
For nickels.. a couple of hundred rolls is plenty to sort.. since it takes me so long. No machines to do it for me.. I actually have to look at the nickels. Those nickel pickups are just drivebys. I don't ask for them.. but they talk me into taking them anyway. I don't preorder nickels.

Yes, I go back to the glory days when all pennies were copper.. and we just sorted for wheats.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

TheSilverTiger
Penny Sorter Member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  08:37:05  Show Profile Send TheSilverTiger a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by PointOmega

How does everybody ask for large quantities of nickels at a bank? Do you ask for a certain amount of rolls like I do, which is usually about 15 rolls or 30 dollars. (I bring my own bag) Or do you ask for a box of nickels. Will the teller roll her eyes at me for making this request, since it requires she get off her butt and lift something somewhat heavy. And while on the subject of boxes, is it considered appropriate to ask for more than one box of nickels per bank visit? I use Bank of America in a decent size town. What do you all think? Thanks in advance for responses.

Yesterday, I went to the bank to cash a check and the teller asked me how I wanted my money. I told her I would like it in mixed bills and if it was possible I would like $20 in nickels. She said no problem and opened the safe in her cubicle. She looked at me and said that she only had 6 rolls. She asked the teller next to her to see if she had any rolls. That teller only had one roll, so she went to the main vault and returned with a box of nickels. She was very petite and struggled to get it to her desk. I smiled at her and asked if it would help if I just took the whole box off her hands. She quickly accepted the offer, glanced at the much beefier teller, and whispered "she has one roll and will need more before I do, so she can get the next box." She gave me a wink and I walked to my truck with a huge grin and of course my box of nickels.
Go to Top of Page

Deathsled11
Penny Sorter Member

55 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  14:10:33  Show Profile Send Deathsled11 a Private Message
Ive been grabbing a box a week, sometimes more at one of my banks. Today they told me it'd be easier to just take the bags off their hands. So today I got my first bag of nickels and first bag of pennies. Yay! No more opening rolls !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

PennySaved
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1720 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  15:16:27  Show Profile Send PennySaved a Private Message
I get about 3 boxes a week of nickels. I am behind on sorting of course.

I try to go the branches that have high volume business banking.

Last week, the teller forgot to order one of my boxes of nickels and instead said she could give me 4 boxes of pennies without blinking an eye. They even let me use their cart to wheel my coin out to the car. I think if I asked for 1k a week of coin she would probably oblidge me. Just no way I could keep up with it haha.

SELLING COPPER PENNIES 1.4X FACE SHIPPED......“I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principles of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale” Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

coppernickel
Penny Pincher Member

USA
131 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  18:45:57  Show Profile Send coppernickel a Private Message
The banks with a bussiness line are more welcoming to sell boxes. The bigger the bank the better. I have a few boxes of nickels, and have not opened one. I may sort them in the future, if not they are still copper and nickel.

Side note -- I think it is very funny the Nickels are 25% copper and 75% nickel, except the war Nickels which have no nickel.

Silver Monometalism is the most permanent and stable form of money the world has seen. Natural law and history prove silver value is best multiplied by gold and best divided by copper. It is only in this counterfeit currency time when the natural law appears suspended.
Go to Top of Page

johnbrickner
Penny Pincher Member

154 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  02:27:03  Show Profile Send johnbrickner a Private Message
PointOmega: I use a small town, local bank. I "order" my boxes a week in advance and dump at a different bank. I've even had one of the tellers save me some silver coinage and let me know by calling me directly on my cell. It's a good relationship.

"I Killed the Bank" from the tombstone of Andrew Jackson
Go to Top of Page

cpthnsolo
Penny Sorter Member

50 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  10:45:13  Show Profile Send cpthnsolo a Private Message
quote:

WRONG. Even though the nickel is 75% copper the 25% nickel is worth more. From coinflation:

quote:
1. Calculate 75% copper value :

(3.5167 × .00220462262 × 5.00 × .75) = $0.0290733

2. Calculate 25% nickel value :

(12.2719 × .00220462262 × 5.00 × .25) = $0.0338181

3. Add the two together :

$0.0290733 + $0.0338181 = $0.0628914

$0.0628914 is the melt value for the 1946-2010 nickel on April 21, 2010.

quote:

Using your logic, ie comparing nickels to pennies you have to sort for, then why not only sort silver halves or dimes as one dollar in face of either is worth much more than $2.31? The thing about nickels is the fact there is NO work or time involved. Simply buy a box or as many rolls as you can whenever you're near your bank and forget about them. No need to sort, reroll, bag, etc. and no need to dump the rejects. For some people time is money...
Go to Top of Page

twentybux
Penny Pincher Member

174 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  13:43:47  Show Profile Send twentybux a Private Message
Very good point about the time v. money statement. That is always my dilemma. I know how much silver and copper I want to sort. Just finding, scratch that, making the time is the issue. Like the Eagles said in Take it to the Limit, some people spend all their time making money, some people spend all their money making time. Which are you? Or better yet, can you find your own middle ground? Nickels take alot of the time out of the hunt if you are looking at metal content only. And the beat goes on...
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2