Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Change in sorting habit with nickel price up
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PennySaved
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1720 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  13:43:48  Show Profile Send PennySaved a Private Message
With a nickel now worth 6 cents in metal, is anyone changing their sorting practice with nickels? ie keeping all of them.

Up until now, I have been just saving the pre-1960's and buffalos and war time nickels and then returning the others.

I am a little behind on my sorting so I have some boxes I haven't sorted yet.

SELLING COPPER PENNIES 1.4X FACE SHIPPED......“I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principles of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale” Thomas Jefferson

Edited by - PennySaved on 04/13/2010 13:44:20

coincrazy

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  13:50:24  Show Profile Send coincrazy a Private Message
I'm keeping them all but still sorting out pre 64 etc.
Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  14:48:08  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
i do the ponce method.

Buying:
Peace/Morgan G+ at $15.00
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

theo
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
588 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  15:48:03  Show Profile Send theo a Private Message
I've always kept them all and separated pre-1960. I've never been a huge buyer($10 per week), however with the recent price increases, I might step my buying up a bit.
Go to Top of Page

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  16:40:14  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
I get at least $200 per week, so I just do pre 64s yet. I would get to much tie up. Still also do a few hundred in pennies.
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  17:12:27  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
I'm just casually eyeballing nickels and take a closer look at any that look worn or old. I'm saving all of my nickels, but I'm setting aside war nickels and the one Buffalo nickel I've found so far.

PennySaved, why hadn't you been saving all of your nickels until now since they're at least worth more than face value with copper prices most of, what, at least the past year?

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  18:54:41  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
Hey, I was hoarding nickels when hoarding nickels wasn't cool. Err, they are cool now aren't they?

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  19:10:30  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ardent Listener

Hey, I was hoarding nickels when hoarding nickels wasn't cool. Err, they are cool now aren't they?

Jamie, you're cooler than a a thousand $100 bags of nickels in a semi stuck in a blizzard.

---------------

Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  19:17:25  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelless

quote:

Jamie, you're cooler than a a thousand $100 bags of nickels in a semi stuck in a blizzard.

Don't remind me of that night!

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  19:24:06  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
All those coins give a whole new meaning to "hope" and "change"!

---------------

Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  01:40:58  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Yeah, when we saw those pics we thought Jamie was trying to move his hoard.

Didn't he dump a big portion of his hoard at one point?

I have some of those bags, but not enough nickels to fill them. I only save the pre-60's and I have a nice little pile of those so far.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

TheSilverTiger
Penny Sorter Member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  07:30:26  Show Profile Send TheSilverTiger a Private Message
quote:

I am right there with you big guy. I've been sorting (not hoarding until this year when I found this site!!!) nickels since I was a kid. I have just over 19,000 pre-60 nickels all wrapped and coded and documented. As a kid my friends just couldn't understand the draw they had for me. And now as an adult, my wife just thinks it is part of some weird OCD thing I must have. Our son just turned three and must have taken after me, because he just loves sorting with me and his "magniflying" glass.
Go to Top of Page

PennySaved
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1720 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  14:19:25  Show Profile Send PennySaved a Private Message
I wasn't keeping them all in the past because I didn't want to tie up money.

Figured I could turn them back in and get more nickels to sort to look for the war nickels, buffalos, and pre-1960's and any proofs (haven't found any proofs this year)

SELLING COPPER PENNIES 1.4X FACE SHIPPED......“I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principles of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale” Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Shattered
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
523 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  20:33:23  Show Profile Send Shattered a Private Message
I haven't bought any boxes of nickels but I keep all I get in pocket change and have a nice pile starting. I always bother my friends and family if I see them paying with a nickel.

"I need metal in my life, just like an eagle needs to fly."
-Joseph DeMaio : Die For Metal
Go to Top of Page

Zyll
Penny Pincher Member

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  10:02:21  Show Profile Send Zyll a Private Message
I do have a question about saving these "pre-64" nickels... When I went through the stash of nickels I recently obtained, I was mostly sorting out ones with mintmarks on the reverse, and of course pulling any old looking ones. Most of these were 1964-D, and most others were badly worn (ie. limited numismatic value). Are the 1960-1964's worth saving, really? They seem to be fairly common.

Also, I found a proof, a 1976-S. It's definitely circulated, though. Is that worth saving?
Go to Top of Page

Coppermonies
Penny Sorter Member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  16:25:05  Show Profile Send Coppermonies a Private Message
My sorting strategy with nickels is too always keep at least a $100 of junk nickels in my possesion at all times (you never know when the SHTF). I trade out nickel rolls I have sorted through with new CWRs weekly. Mainly looking for War Nickels, Buffs & pre 64s.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2