Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 My first concerted effort to pick up nickels
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  02:21:28  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
I've been picking up about $50 a week in nickels for a while now just to help build up my "oh crap fund", but I hadn't gone out of my way to ask for large amounts of nickels until today. So I walked into one branch (not the main branch) where I make somewhat regular FRN deposits and asked if they had $250 in nickels that I could buy off of them. They looked at me like I was from Mars and the vault teller came back and said all they had was about five trays ($100) but that they could only sell me one tray as they didn't have many nickels and usually didn't, which struck me as kind of odd. So I took the $20 they were willing to sell me and went downtown to the main branches of two of my banks where I'd had good rapport with them anyway. They also raised eyebrows, but one branch had only (but at least a full) one bag that they sold me, and the biggest bank in town said they had plenty of nickels at any given time although early in the week is usually the best time to pick up change orders. I still had another $100 in FRNs, so I went to a nearby branch (not the main one) of another bank, and after giving me another strange look, the head teller said she could have a box of nickels ($100) next Friday that she could order for a 1 percent surcharge (which I declined).

So I guess my question to those of you who've been sorting nickels for a while is, do you guys have trouble getting large quantities of nickels without placing orders for them? I figure asking for large amounts of nickels may seem less eccentric to tellers than asking for nickels, but I never expected nickels to seem so hard to get.

Incidentally, I've only had time to go through about $25 worth so far, but the oldest nickel I've found so far is a 1939 that looks pretty decent except for a long scratch across most of the obverse side. I'll let you guys know what I find in this first batch.

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  06:54:36  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
i thought they came in $100 boxes, so that may be why they were giving you strange looks.

Buying:
Peace/Morgan G+ at $15.00
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  07:43:01  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
I get between $200 and $400 per week from just one bank and they are in $200 bags ready to ship back to the Feds.
Go to Top of Page

JWRAY
Penny Collector Member

USA
378 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  20:23:55  Show Profile Send JWRAY a Private Message
Only once would my two source banks sell me nickels without ordering, the first time I asked. Ever since they won't. They cut me off on pennies as well, so now all change I want HAS to be ordered. Although I dont have to pay any sort of fee like they asked you to pay.

MOVING SALE!!! Selling Copper Cents 1.4 shipped - in limited quantities PM me and we'll talk.
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  04:27:16  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Thrower

i thought they came in $100 boxes, so that may be why they were giving you strange looks.

One bank gave me a bag of $100 worth of nickels that they wrapped in-house (the largest bank in town) and the other bank gave me a $100 bag of loose nickels.

And having said that, I've had some interesting finds so far. I've sorted one bag already and have started sorting the second. Among the pre-1950 nickels so far, I've found one 1937 Buffalo in good condition, 2 1938s (one of which is G/VG), 5 1939s, most of which look pretty good, 2 1940s, a 1940-D and S, a 1941 on which I could barely make out the date because it was very scratched up, a 1941-S, a 1942 war nickel in fair to good condition, a 1946-D in F/G, a 1947-S and -D, both in F/G, a 1948 and a 1949-D in fair condition. I was pretty happy to find the Buffalo since this has been my first time actually sorting more than just a few rolls of nickels at a time. I wasn't especially happy to find a slug of some kind.

And among the foreign coins I've found so far are 1976, 1985 and 1987 Canadians, a 2000 nickel from the Bahamas, a 1993 25-cent piece from the Philippines and the most intriguing piece IMO, a 1996 five-dollar coin from Jamaica bearing a picture of "National Hero, The Rt. Excellent Norman Manley."

---------------

Go to Top of Page

realpenny

22 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  05:10:56  Show Profile Send realpenny a Private Message
Nice buffalo! I'm sure you were happy to see that one and the war nickel.
I never found a buffalo but I'm from Canada - I have found a war nickel here though.
Too bad about the slug, it looks like a crappy one at that.
Cheers

Edited by - realpenny on 04/11/2010 05:12:57
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  14:53:45  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
I finished the second bag last night and found a second war nickel (1945-S) and an interesting little PGA token. I'll post pics later tonight.

---------------

Go to Top of Page

Bluegill
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2010 :  15:07:36  Show Profile Send Bluegill a Private Message
That is the neat thing about searching nickels. You do find the most eclectic variety of stuff, I think even more so than pennies. You're getting the typical average for war nicks, about 1 every hundred bucks. It also appears the pre-'50 nickels are as common a dirt in your parts too.
Go to Top of Page

AGgressive Metal
Administrator

USA
1937 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  01:02:10  Show Profile Send AGgressive Metal a Private Message
I can't believe no one has said it yet:

Now you are no longer nickel-less!

And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel / For nothyng is better than lyberte / For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world.
-Caxton's edition of Aesop's Fables, 1484
Go to Top of Page

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  10:05:42  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AGgressive Metal

I was wondering the very same thing!

Nickelless, be sure to save the 38D, 38S, 39D, 39S and the 50D as these are the key dates for nickels. You'll be hooked before you know it and you'll have to change your name to MoreNickels or LotsofNickels...

Enjoy your coin searches, everyone.
Go to Top of Page

Zyll
Penny Pincher Member

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  14:14:47  Show Profile Send Zyll a Private Message
Looking at the picture above, I have noticed that all the war nickels I found in circulation have this dark coloring. Is it some result of its unique composition? Because 90% silver or even 40% silver clad doesn't have this malady. Anyone know scientific facts about them?
Go to Top of Page

TheSilverTiger
Penny Sorter Member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  14:20:26  Show Profile Send TheSilverTiger a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zyll

Looking at the picture above, I have noticed that all the war nickels I found in circulation have this dark coloring. Is it some result of its unique composition? Because 90% silver or even 40% silver clad doesn't have this malady. Anyone know scientific facts about them?

It's the manganese in the composition that causes the coloration. There are areas here in South Louisiana with very high levels in the water (especially near the mighty Mississip). People's bath fixtures have the same colored stains where the water drips on them. It's a blue/steel/green color.
Go to Top of Page

Zyll
Penny Pincher Member

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  14:42:06  Show Profile Send Zyll a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by TheSilverTiger
It's the manganese in the composition that causes the coloration. There are areas here in South Louisiana with very high levels in the water (especially near the mighty Mississip). People's bath fixtures have the same colored stains where the water drips on them. It's a blue/steel/green color.

Cool thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  14:45:33  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AGgressive Metal

Nah, I'll still be Nickelless, er, nickelless after Obama does his magic. And since I'm getting married, I'll also be penniless!

---------------

Go to Top of Page

TheSilverTiger
Penny Sorter Member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  14:50:17  Show Profile Send TheSilverTiger a Private Message
I said coloration, but I guess it is more like discoloration.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2