Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Bank almost gave me $400 for my $100 box nickels
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PennySaved
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1720 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  12:54:51  Show Profile Send PennySaved a Private Message
I went to B of A today and the teller saw me as I was walking up with my box of nickels.

I go to this branch every couple of weeks. She didn't ask for my account # because she has dealt with me before.

She asked me how I wanted my cash and I told her she could just give me $100.

She grabbed $100 and started counting out $400. I looked at her in amazement as she handed me $400. I told her are you sure you mean to give me $400 and she said yeah $400 for a box of nickels.

I told her no it was suppose to be $100. She realized her error and thanked me for telling her.

For a moment, it would have been nice to have an extra $300 but I don't think I would have felt good about it if a teller ended up losing her job over it.

SELLING COPPER PENNIES 1.4X FACE SHIPPED......“I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principles of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale” Thomas Jefferson

Robarons
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  13:05:20  Show Profile Send Robarons a Private Message
The only thing I would think she would have confused that with would be a box of dimes or halves with a $500 face value.

That was a pretty bad mistake, never heard of one that severe before. She would have lost her job- I think the lee-way is $50 and they may have gone after you.

But you did that right thing- expect a 1914-D in next weeks box- Instant Karma

Robber Baron= Robarons
Go to Top of Page

PennySaved
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1720 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  13:09:36  Show Profile Send PennySaved a Private Message
Well I told her I had a ton of pennies I need to turn in and she better be nice to me when I bring them in :-) haha

SELLING COPPER PENNIES 1.4X FACE SHIPPED......“I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principles of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale” Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Shattered
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
523 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  13:16:41  Show Profile Send Shattered a Private Message
Good choice. You would probably have a bad taste in your mouth if you took her job from her for 300 bucks.

"I need metal in my life, just like an eagle needs to fly."
-Joseph DeMaio : Die For Metal
Go to Top of Page

simplicitycounts
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
535 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  14:28:40  Show Profile Send simplicitycounts a Private Message
She would have called you at the end of the day. They have to balance at closing time. If they don't balance they can't go home, so she would have had to go through all the slips and figure out where it went wrong. They would have caught it eventually.
Go to Top of Page

PennySaved
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1720 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  14:32:32  Show Profile Send PennySaved a Private Message
Well the transaction never posted to my account; they know me by face but not by name.

She didn't even want to see my account info or my card or my driver's license.

That said I wouldn't want someone fired over a mistake I would have been a part of.

Go to Top of Page

twocents
Penny Collector Member

398 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  14:47:45  Show Profile Send twocents a Private Message
She will reward you someday with some very old, large dollar coins.

Just my two cents!
Go to Top of Page

JobIII
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  15:53:15  Show Profile Send JobIII a Private Message
Did any of you ever play monopoly? the chance card with the bank error in your favor. This never happens. And if the bank does give you too much money, they are quick to take it out of your account. In this case its good, because you could have overdrafted as a result of the $300 error correction.

It's always nice to be honest and do the right thing.

Selling Copper cents. $0 FV available at 1.4xFV. Also interested in trading for wheat pennies and other coins Please pm me for requests or inquiries.

Go to Top of Page

Junk Woody
Penny Collector Member

Canada
262 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  15:56:45  Show Profile Send Junk Woody a Private Message
I've had tellers try to overpay me on my coin returns before,I always point out their error and hand them back the "bonus" money.
Go to Top of Page

uthminsta
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1872 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  16:41:31  Show Profile Send uthminsta a Private Message
The part that weirds me out is that when I get overpaid and I try to point it out, the person almost never seems grateful. They seem somewhat snotty, perhaps because of embarrassment. I guess they're used to people only complaining for getting shorted, so they revert to the reaction for that scenario.

Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org
Go to Top of Page

garnede
Penny Collector Member

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  00:23:00  Show Profile Send garnede a Private Message
I had a teller try to sell me some "Large half dollars". She was thankful I told her that they were dollars and not halves.
Go to Top of Page

PennySaved
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1720 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  00:57:23  Show Profile Send PennySaved a Private Message
Were they ikes?

Go to Top of Page

poordriver

22 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2010 :  21:14:14  Show Profile Send poordriver a Private Message
ive always found tellers dont blink at cash..........but hand them some coin they start thinking too much and kinda mess up...u did good..good karma
Go to Top of Page

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  07:56:04  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
good move on your part and maybe she remember you for that later on
Go to Top of Page

poordriver

22 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2010 :  17:53:50  Show Profile Send poordriver a Private Message
ive always found tellers dont blink at cash..........but hand them some coin they start thinking too much and kinda mess up...u did good..good karma
Go to Top of Page

Dave
Penny Pincher Member

156 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2010 :  05:35:46  Show Profile Send Dave a Private Message
I had a teller wanting to sell me 50 Ikes for $25, I told her they were $1 coins and she was very happy I told her. There has been a number of times where the tellers have made mistakes of trying to give out to much money back for coins. A few have told me that is why they HATE having coins returned to them. Buy them candy and it all goes away.
Go to Top of Page

Wanderer

Canada
16 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  20:52:57  Show Profile Send Wanderer a Private Message
I was reminded about this topic today:

I was doing a coin dump at the machine, then deposited the slip with a teller. As I was walking away, I noticed the receipt had an extra $10 (in my favor). The teller was already with another client, but I just thought I would quickly let him know about the error. He was rather rude, and said that he would fix it later. (he did)

I suspect if I hadn't said anything, it still would have been corrected somewhere down the line, but I was still somewhat amused at his reaction. A simple 'thanks' would have been very much appreciated...
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  23:09:01  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Nah, they never want to be told they could have "possibly" made a mistake. Hey, it's not like it was your fault he messed up.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  22:11:13  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
I usually buy rolls of nickels and rolls of pennies. One common mistake I find is that the teller will want to bring me rolls of dimes instead of pennies--the same number of rolls of dimes. It happened about four times in a row, and the last time, I even told the teller beforehand not to bring me dimes--and she still brought me dimes. I always correct their mistake though--after all, there isn't much to find in dimes.

Not all who wander are lost.
Go to Top of Page

wiper
Penny Sorter Member

36 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  00:24:25  Show Profile Send wiper a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by simplicitycounts

She would have called you at the end of the day. They have to balance at closing time. If they don't balance they can't go home, so she would have had to go through all the slips and figure out where it went wrong. They would have caught it eventually.

indeed they would have.

i deposited $200 or something to my CU when i was 19, and they credited my account with $1200.

i recognized it on the receipt as soon as i was in my car, but did nothing, figuring they'd figure it out or they wouldn't.

got a call at 5pmish that afternoon asking about it. i pretty quickly admitted that i saw the mistake, teller said, 'why didn't you come back in and tell me?', i responded, 'because i figured you'd eventually call me, and i was already on my way back to school'.

felt a little bad about it, but use the bathroom i was 19 and didn't run right to an atm or anything. now i'd probably just point out the mistake and take the karma.

Edited by - wiper on 04/05/2010 00:25:02
Go to Top of Page

JustSayNoToFiat
Penny Pincher Member

110 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  17:34:07  Show Profile Send JustSayNoToFiat a Private Message
Something similar happened to me last week,

I dropped off $175 of mixed denomination rolled coins at my main bank. The teller (male) counted $275 to himself. I told him to recount. He did and gave me $275 anyways. I think he was distracted by the drive up window.

I knew the guy was a good kid and wouldn't want to screw anyone over regardless. I waited till he finished up and wrote out what I gave him and showed him. He knew what he did and he was grateful, and I gained some respect.

It's Half Time...all the time.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2