Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 International Coin & Currency Collecting
 Obsolete and Historic World Coins
 British Farthings for sale from Craigs
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PennySaved
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1720 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  14:30:39  Show Profile Send PennySaved a Private Message
I was running an ad for wheat pennies and got a response from someone with British Farthings:

i have a ton of english farthing pennies
they are all in great condition ranging from the early to mid 1900's are you interested in taking a look

i can load them into the truck and can meet you anytime. i have 2 full shoe boxes so i cant give you an estimation on how many i have,,,but give me a call at your convenience and we can hook

Any good recommendation of what a resonable offer would be?

SELLING COPPER PENNIES 1.4X FACE SHIPPED......“I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principles of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale” Thomas Jefferson

El Dee
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
547 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  14:45:24  Show Profile Send El Dee a Private Message
Well...they're 95.5% copper and weigh 2.9 grams each.

Offer him $1 a pound.

Trust the government? Ask an Indian.
Go to Top of Page

PennySaved
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1720 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  17:52:50  Show Profile Send PennySaved a Private Message
I met the guy today and he had two old shoe boxes full of farthings. He said his mom and dad use to own a coin store in town and he has had these for years and years and was tired of carting them around.

Brief look there are some early 1900's I saw one roll that said 1900-1910; I saw 2 Queen Victoria's in there.

I am trying to organize the collection now.

SELLING COPPER PENNIES 1.4X FACE SHIPPED......“I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principles of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale” Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

PennySaved
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1720 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  18:27:34  Show Profile Send PennySaved a Private Message
Is there a thread somewhere for melt value of British farthings?

Go to Top of Page

PennySaved
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1720 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2010 :  22:42:37  Show Profile Send PennySaved a Private Message
hmmm no help here?

Go to Top of Page

uthminsta
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1872 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  17:20:48  Show Profile Send uthminsta a Private Message
Farthings 1860-1956 range from 2.7 to 2.9 grams each. Some 1860-1901 weigh up to 3 grams. They are all 95% copper. 453.6 grams in a pound. That means you would need between 156 and 168 farthings to make a pound of coins, and between 165 and 177 farthings to make a pound of pure copper.

As for some better dates, there are 2 types of 1895 and one is quite valuable. All the proofs are quite valuable if there are any of those. The are some dates, particularly the 1918, that were issued artificially darkened by the mint, and can be quite valuable if they still have original dark lustre. The ED VII (1902-1910) and most VIC (-1901) can get you a few bucks if they're in VF and better condition. The 1935 has a kind of low mintage so is a bit better.
Aaron

Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org
Go to Top of Page

uthminsta
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1872 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  17:26:56  Show Profile Send uthminsta a Private Message
1904, 1910, 1934, 1935, 1956 all have mintages under 4 million. Look for these in XF-UNC condition.

Go to Top of Page

PennySaved
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1720 Posts

Posted - 03/19/2010 :  17:41:20  Show Profile Send PennySaved a Private Message
Thanks I did end up with a roll that has some Ed VII and Vic in them so I'll have to look through those.

Go to Top of Page

uthminsta
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1872 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2010 :  11:32:01  Show Profile Send uthminsta a Private Message
So you bought them? Did you take both big boxes? That would be fun. Do you mind me asking about how many total there were, and how much you paid? That's cool if you don't want to, especially if you intend to piece them apart and sell them here or whatever.

I have updated my British wantlist (address in my signature) to include farthings back to 1880, in case there happens to be one or two in there.

I think it would be neat to build a set from 1900-1956 and sell them that way. You could probably put a set like that in a nickel tube. I'm already wishing I lived close enough to you to "help" with this. Haha.

Edited by - uthminsta on 03/20/2010 11:56:22
Go to Top of Page

PennySaved
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1720 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2010 :  13:22:31  Show Profile Send PennySaved a Private Message
SO far I have only went through one shoe box (I actually got 2 shoe boxes)

I had like 900 1954 Farthings, 700 1945 Farthings, 400 1941 Farthings, another 400 of another date.

I haven't went through the other box that has all the older Farthings.

Luckily for me, some of the bags he had that said 1945 Farthings actually had some 1917's in there.

Go to Top of Page

uthminsta
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1872 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2010 :  14:06:54  Show Profile Send uthminsta a Private Message
Wow that's a lot of the same date! Are there any really sharply defined pieces among those?

Go to Top of Page

PennySaved
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1720 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2010 :  15:40:54  Show Profile Send PennySaved a Private Message
He had a couple that may be close to AU. I am not good at grading. None of them are culls and all are full dates.

I am going to try to go through the rest of it this week and I'll report the breakdown by date.

I don't think I lucked out with any pre-1900 but I think I had the 2 1901's and several 1902-1910.

Go to Top of Page

JWRAY
Penny Collector Member

USA
378 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2010 :  23:51:21  Show Profile Send JWRAY a Private Message
What is a reasonable price for bulk farthings? I saw a box on ebay that has 1500 coins and they are asking $150 BIN.

MOVING SALE!!! Selling Copper Cents 1.4 shipped - in limited quantities PM me and we'll talk.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.92 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2