Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Lobby counter that lists old and new pennies
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Disc Jockey

22 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  14:47:33  Show Profile Send Disc Jockey a Private Message
I found a lobby counter in a savings and loan last week that lists old and new pennies. I asked the teller what it means and she said that the composition of the pennies changed and it lists them seperately. I gave her my deposit receipt and left. Next week Im going back there and asking, does it seperate the pennies ? , if it does, who wants them seperated ? the bank or the manufacturers of the machine. OR the armoured car service ? This makes me think the copper is going to be removed from circulation soon, maybe a couple years. Its a Scan Coin model CDS 648. The other Scan Coin models dont list any differences on the receipt.

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  14:50:12  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
I think that it still dumps them into the same bag. If it separated the coins, ask if they will sell the bags. Then you could just buy the copper bags and not have to sort them.

You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be.......SLICK

Go to Top of Page

jacer333
Penny Pincher Member

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  15:24:14  Show Profile Send jacer333 a Private Message
Walking in and buying copper bags at face? Boy you can't do much better than that...
Go to Top of Page

Disc Jockey

22 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  16:06:29  Show Profile Send Disc Jockey a Private Message
Of course I'll try to buy them if seperated, but the big question is why did the mfgr make the machine this way. at whose request ? next time I go I'm going to sort some coppers into the zinc AND a silver dime with some clad ones.I want to see if it lists old dimes on my receipt
Go to Top of Page

highroller4321
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2648 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  15:17:55  Show Profile Send highroller4321 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by slickeast

I think that it still dumps them into the same bag. If it separated the coins, ask if they will sell the bags. Then you could just buy the copper bags and not have to sort them.

Yes, the put them into the same bag.

Copper Penny Investing
www.portlandmint.com
Go to Top of Page

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2010 :  15:54:11  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
highroller, what is the purpose behind the machine listing the coppers and zincs?

You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be.......SLICK

Go to Top of Page

highroller4321
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2648 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  16:14:59  Show Profile Send highroller4321 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by slickeast

highroller, what is the purpose behind the machine listing the coppers and zincs?

Over in Europe there is a LOT of counterfit coins. These machines were created to reject the forgien coin. The technology is simply also being installed into the "U.S" models as well. It really doesn't serve the average person any good. However, this has been going on for a little while now and is also a sign that the melt ban will lift.

Copper Penny Investing
www.portlandmint.com
Go to Top of Page

illeagle
Penny Sorter Member

56 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  16:32:43  Show Profile Send illeagle a Private Message
There is a counter at a dump bank I frequent that has a metal tray, separate from the plastic coin bags inside it. I have seen it several times, when the teller changes the coin bags. I have seen it full of varying amounts of silver coin. I have questioned tellers about it and a loose one of them admitted to me that the machine does sort out silver coin. Naturally, I offered to buy the coin and was rejected. Bankers are savvy to the intrinsic value of the money they work with; I know quite a few banker/numismatists. I would not be surprised if now or later there are counters that sort copper.

Would Like To Trade: Coins for 1 acre of rural land.
Go to Top of Page

highroller4321
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2648 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  16:50:04  Show Profile Send highroller4321 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by illeagle

There is a counter at a dump bank I frequent that has a metal tray, separate from the plastic coin bags inside it. I have seen it several times, when the teller changes the coin bags. I have seen it full of varying amounts of silver coin. I have questioned tellers about it and a loose one of them admitted to me that the machine does sort out silver coin. Naturally, I offered to buy the coin and was rejected. Bankers are savvy to the intrinsic value of the money they work with; I know quite a few banker/numismatists. I would not be surprised if now or later there are counters that sort copper.

Do you mind sharing what bank this was.

Copper Penny Investing
www.portlandmint.com
Go to Top of Page

illeagle
Penny Sorter Member

56 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  17:01:15  Show Profile Send illeagle a Private Message
PNC, Formerly National City

Would Like To Trade: Coins for 1 acre of rural land.
Go to Top of Page

fasTTcar
Penny Hoarding Member

Canada
573 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2010 :  22:57:41  Show Profile Send fasTTcar a Private Message
My understanding is that they use weight to determine the full bag and the copper and zincs weigh differently, so the count would be more accurate if they had a composition breakdown.

www.londongoldbuyer.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2