Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Scrap Metal Salvage
 Transistors
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mj74
Penny Sorter Member

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  03:42:59  Show Profile Send mj74 a Private Message
Anyone else actually take the time to remove the plastic to get the copper from the small trasistors that are on most circuit boards? I almost have a large coffee can full of them,and when the weather is good I try to get some done. it great job for kids,my nephew loves helping me with it.

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2010 :  19:33:55  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
I do. When I strip electronics, I take all transformers, transistors, heat sinks etc.

Are you throwing that out?
Go to Top of Page

Jason
Penny Pincher Member

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2010 :  20:59:58  Show Profile  Send Jason an AOL message Send Jason a Private Message
Personally I don't fool with transistors. I strip computers and the only thing i'm after is gold or silver. The relatively low price of copper doesn't make it worthwile to me.

Rule six: There is no rule six.
Go to Top of Page

Steven Turpyn

2 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2010 :  20:59:10  Show Profile Send Steven Turpyn a Private Message
Hi, i'm new here but I've been refining gold from computers for a while now. I save everything from computers, electronics and whatever else I find. I save the aluminum and copper just like I do the gold and silver. It all adds up in the long run. I'm disabled so I can sit around and unwind copper and take little things apart while some people don't have the free time I do. Even if you can't seperate things completely, it still adds up, even if it's just junk you throw in a 5 gallon bucket.

Steve
Go to Top of Page

Kurr
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2906 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2010 :  21:15:10  Show Profile Send Kurr a Private Message
Isn't there tantalum in some of those?

The silver [is] mine, and the gold [is] mine, saith the LORD of hosts. Hag 2:8 [/b]
He created it. He controls it. He gave it to us for His use. Why did we turn from sound scriptural currency that PROTECTS us?

KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The book of The Hundreds: http://www.land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/boh/bookOfTheHundreds_v4.1.pdf
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE_TWO_REPUBLICS.pdf
Good reading: http://ecclesia.org/truth/government.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears

Go to Top of Page

thedrifter
Penny Sorter Member

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2010 :  21:23:33  Show Profile Send thedrifter a Private Message
What is tantalum? A rare earth metal?

The Drifter
Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2010 :  23:43:59  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kurr

Isn't there tantalum in some of those?

There are caps made with tantalum, maybe you are thinking of those instead of transistors?

"99% of all lawyers give the rest of them a bad name"

Go to Top of Page

1945V
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
153 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2010 :  12:14:31  Show Profile Send 1945V a Private Message
Some capacitors are made with tantulum.
They usually look little "pears" with two leads on them and come in several colors like red, blue, orange and brown.

I would not bother salvage transistors for scrap metal value
They contain small amounts of silicon found (which is one of the most abundant elements on earth and is in common sand)
Older transistors from the 1950's and 1960's contain small amounts of germanium.
Transistors used in satellite dish LNA & LNB and other microwave equipments have small amounts of gallium arsenide.

Go to Top of Page

rambo_k9
Penny Pincher Member

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2010 :  20:47:25  Show Profile Send rambo_k9 a Private Message
Can anyone point out where the gold or silver is on circuit boards and how to retrieve it?? Have three of them sitting here, don't know what I'm looking at.

Looking for a great summer read?? Stop by www.glennrambo.com You think the US/Mexican border is bad now??
Go to Top of Page

Robarons
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 07/25/2010 :  22:22:42  Show Profile Send Robarons a Private Message
The older the computer the better. The processors contain gold and some of the older motherboards might have gold pins or solder.

I think older ribbon found in computers are gold plated. But I am thinking Apple 2 and Commodore 64's here!

Robber Baron= Robarons
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2