Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Coin star question
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

knibloe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1066 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  09:51:30  Show Profile Send knibloe a Private Message
I need to do some improvements on my house this summer. I would like to dump some of my zincs at a coin star for a Lowes gift card.

Has anybody done this before? What is the process?

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  10:10:51  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
I haven't done it, but I think I know how it works. Tou first find a CoinStar that has the Lowe's gift card option. Not all CoinStars have the same gift card options. Dump your zincs in and print it out.

Be sure to go the post office and get a change of address kit so you can get a 10% off coupon from Lowes. You never want to buy major home improvement items without getting your 10% off. If you don't already have a Lowe's card you can usually get another 10% off by opening an account and using the card on your first purchase.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

knibloe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1066 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  10:25:51  Show Profile Send knibloe a Private Message
I read the machine earlier today, but it didn't make any sense. I wasn't sure if I got a paper receipt or I got a plastic gift card.

Great point on the 10% I would have to find a way to get the change of address to work for me. I cannot get the 10% for opening an account and paying with the card and still use my zinc credits.
Go to Top of Page

fasteddy
Penny Collector Member

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  10:31:02  Show Profile Send fasteddy a Private Message
I have done the coinstar thing for the Lowes certificate....it works...a bit slow in dumping and counting but it still works...just like Hoard said....and don't lose the receipt...it is money at Lowes. What's nice about the coinstar is going to one in the grocery store and using their cart to haul your coin in...win win for you and the grocery store
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  10:42:09  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
If for some reason you can't get the 10% coupon in your area, let me know and I will mail you one. They don't have Home Depot ones in my area, but they honor the competitor coupon so I am not locked into just one store. I always carry one of those Lowe's 10% coupons with me no matter what home improvement store I am shopping at. Last month I scored a nice wood $250 electric fireplace at Home Depot on clearance for $47.. and then got an extra 10% off for my Lowe's coupon!

For the extra 10% on the initial purchase after opening an account it might be worthwhile to forgo the zinc credits and just convert the zinc to FRN's at the bank like you normally do. Subsequent purchases after the first big one can be funded by the zinc credit method.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  10:48:25  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
The Lowes thing is great. I spend a lot there anyway for business purposes. So I get to run my zinc dumps through the business. As long as my business account cash withdraws exceed the Lowes gift card purchases I'm good. The machine provides directions on screen. After counting, it issues a paper with a gift card and PIN.

Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org
Go to Top of Page

fasteddy
Penny Collector Member

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  11:07:15  Show Profile Send fasteddy a Private Message
forgot to mention Lowes also does 10% discount for military id's...and i will be purchasing a home water softener from Lowes this next week with dumped half dollars at a coinstar to take some pressure off of my credit union "nice lady who will be changing alot of half dollar bags from the DeLaRue" next week. If you halve to special order home improvement items from Lowes, do so about a month ahead before you need the item. Cheers
Go to Top of Page

knibloe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1066 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  12:27:57  Show Profile Send knibloe a Private Message
Just completed dumping $50. Got my paper certificate. This helps me because I only have three dump banks that accept loose coins or have a counter. They are all an hour away, so I have to plan my dumps into my work schedule which doesn't always work out. Then I end up with a backlog of zincs and cannot sort more. Most larger towns in my area have a grocery store with a coin star. If I cannot get them to the bank, I can dump some at the grocery store and be done with them.

As far as the counter being slow, it isn't much slower than the counter at the bank.

Edit: Maybe faster if I don't have to stop and wait for them to change bags and I don't have to drive out of my way.

Edited by - knibloe on 03/13/2010 12:29:09
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2