Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Just getting started...
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

squashpup

9 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  11:12:46  Show Profile Send squashpup a Private Message
I've been lurking here for about a month, and got into stockpiling at about the same time.

This "hobby" is remarkably addictive, and the longer you go, the more you desire to interact with people who appreciate a good "find". Although, the more I do, the more my wife takes an interest in it too.

Yesterday and today were pretty darn good. I have a deal with a local concessions operator that will allow me to trade out any coins I find. I was looking through that cash drawer and found a 1944 war nickel. I rounded up four more pre-70 nickels, swapped them out for a quarter, and left rather satisfied with myself.

This morning, I stopped at the bank with my last four dollars of play money. I got a roll of nickels and four penny rolls. Percentages for the first 3 rolls were pretty good...got almost a full roll of copper out of it.

But, when I opened the fourth roll, I got a full roll of wheat pennies. Every single one, dating from 1942-1959. (Alas, no '43s). I will look at these closer this evening, but that was pretty exciting.

When I told my wife, she said that it was possible that someone could have cashed in an old stash, and that maybe I should go back and try to get some silver. So, I did, and ended up finding a '59 dime.

In two days, I've found 50 wheat pennies, worth over a dollar at least, and also picked up over $2 worth of silver for 15 cents.

I'm thinking that no one is working my local bank for coins, which is good news.

oldBPman
Penny Sorter Member

83 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  11:43:48  Show Profile Send oldBPman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by squashpup

I've been lurking here for about a month, and got into stockpiling at about the same time.

But, when I opened the fourth roll, I got a full roll of wheat pennies. Every single one, dating from 1942-1959. (Alas, no '43s). I will look at these closer this evening, but that was pretty exciting.

In two days, I've found 50 wheat pennies, worth over a dollar at least, and also picked up over $2 worth of silver for 15 cents.

it sounds like someone is like me, getting old,senile, careless and dropped the wheaties or a burgular picked them up on a job and just wanted the cash. I've also been finding morewheaties since xmas than i found all last yr.

PS I've been looking for a 1943 copper since 1945 and can't even remember seeing a picture of one.

Edited by - oldBPman on 03/11/2010 11:56:52
Go to Top of Page

squashpup

9 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  12:07:39  Show Profile Send squashpup a Private Message
Yeah, what I've heard is, because of the recession, people who normally would hold on to old stacks of wheaties have been getting them out to spend. Unfortunate, but people who are interested in stockpiling old coins can capitalize from it if they pay attention. I'd think for the immediate future, if not longer, we should see more old coins re-enter circulation from peoples' personal hoards.

I'm fortunate in that I have a couple of vendors with a fairly high coin turnover rate I can work and look at coins without actually buying them, so most of the time, I don't have to worry about what I'm going to do with my zinc pennies or my copper dimes and quarters. I can just change out what I want and leave the rest.

One of my best sources is a vendor that sells primarily to children. One person I talked to there said that kids will spend any money they can get their hands on, and don't understand collector or melt value. So, when they find Daddy's stash of rare coins, they don't consider that they're worth anything more than face (whoever heard of a quarter worth over $2.00?), and they don't think it is so bad to steal change (because it is just change), so you probably see more rare coins come through there than anywhere else. I've found most of my silver there.

I've been pretty much consumed with finding different coins since I caught the bug, and since I'm not actually SPENDING any money, my wife couldn't be happier.

I've read up on what to look for and whatnot, but is there anything else I should know about?

Edited by - squashpup on 03/11/2010 13:00:06
Go to Top of Page

Copper Catcher
Administrator

USA
2092 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  13:37:43  Show Profile Send Copper Catcher a Private Message
squashpup glad you joined the discussion. Congrats on your recent finds! Keep hunting and gathering all the good stuff while you can.
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  13:46:44  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
SP... welcome to the forum If you've got questions about anything try scrolling tens of pages deep thru past posts and you'll likely find your question has been asked before. You might find a thread with thirty or forty responses in the archives

and I think you're correct with your rationale of how coins are re-entering circulation

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  14:03:37  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
Welcome to the fourm and you have had great luck. the only that I would look at is that I save nickels pre 64.
Go to Top of Page

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2010 :  19:17:40  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
squashpup, You need to ask for halves the next time you are at your bank.

just getting started.....let the fun begin!!!!

You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be.......SLICK

Go to Top of Page

rosco
Penny Collector Member

USA
254 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  23:36:12  Show Profile Send rosco a Private Message
It is fun an the problems we have with Zinc that you are able to skip is good for you. ENJOY.

Old Geezer a HAND Sorter
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2