Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 CU hunt interrupted by AG distraction
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

collectorofmanythings

2 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  18:58:52  Show Profile Send collectorofmanythings a Private Message
I am new to the forum. Long time reader, first time contributor. I know this part of the forum is about CU, but I did want to share this story about my recent cu hunt/ag distraction.

At a bank where I frequently pick up penny bags from the machine, but never dump, the teller I have befriended told me a guy saw a coin in the halves bag when he opened the machine the other day and said "thats a $30 coin". Initially I was very skeptacle how someone could spot a "$30 coin" in a bag; however, my curiosity got the best of me and I asked the teller if he could open the machine and show me. He opened the machine and showed me the back of a walking liberty, no mint mark. He then told me the total of the halves bag ($615), but told me he could not remove the coin or sell me the bag until it was full. I the set out on a mission all around the city in search of $385 of halves to fill up the bag and buy it. At one bank I purchased $34 of halves that came in an envelope (looked like a customer turned them in) marked $34 with a magic marker. When I got to the car an opened it I realized it was all silver. They were all 40%, but still a great find. I went to probably 20 different banks and accumulated around $350 in halves. My brother gave me a roll of uncirculated 1974 and I took additional 40% kennedy's to fill up the bag the next morning. I got to the bank the next morning, filled up the bag, then bought it for $1,000.......Once I got home and searched the back I found 2 walking liberty's (1938,1944), 1 franklin ('55), 2 '64 kennedy's, and 7 more 40% kennedy's. Overall, it was a great 24 hours of entertainment, anticipation and ultimately satisfaction....although, no "$30 coin".

Edited by - collectorofmanythings on 03/12/2010 19:14:16

metalmoney.ca
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
223 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  19:17:43  Show Profile Send metalmoney.ca a Private Message
cool story, welcome!

metal is a claim on future human labour. let's all go get some while the getting is good, eh?
Go to Top of Page

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  19:51:31  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
great job on filling the bag and getting what you wanted.
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  19:56:20  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
Conga rats, newbie.

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

NDFARMER
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1197 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  20:08:51  Show Profile Send NDFARMER a Private Message
Nice score and welcome. I kind of do the same thing. I will go into a bank tell them I have some halves to dump but if the bag gets full I want to be able to buy it back. If they say that is O.K. then I go out to the car and get about $800.00 in halves bring them in and dump them. I figure if I get the bag full for less than about $500.00 then it is worth my while to buy them back and search the $500.00 that was in the bag. But if it take most of the $800.00 to fill the bag then I leave it, but it is not a total loss because now I have $800.00 in cash to go buy more halves with.

COPPER - the "poormans" precious metal!!!

SELLING - $100.00 face copper shipped to you for $189.00 machine rolled or bagged - PM me if your interested.
Go to Top of Page

No82s
Penny Pincher Member

USA
198 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  23:45:15  Show Profile Send No82s a Private Message
great story and great plan NDF.

The difference between an optimist and a pessimist is that the pessimist is better informed.
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  00:25:02  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Nothing like recycling your silver through a machine to buy the bag. Too funny.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

george454
Penny Pincher Member

242 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  08:09:46  Show Profile Send george454 a Private Message
You got the bug man and you got it bad. Many people would not go through that much trouble, but the people on this forum would. You will fit right in here, and congrats on the first post.
Go to Top of Page

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  08:59:56  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
Good work, sometimes you have to work the system to get what you want. Bags are the way to go, I get my best finds in bags.

You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be.......SLICK

Go to Top of Page

knibloe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1066 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  09:49:48  Show Profile Send knibloe a Private Message
I did the same thing with the last bag of halves that I bought. It had $890 in it. I think that there were 50-60 silvers in it, 9-10 $2 canadians.
Go to Top of Page

fasteddy
Penny Collector Member

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  15:12:47  Show Profile Send fasteddy a Private Message
I have been distracted from my Cu sorting by Ag halves...my penny boxes are piling up. Soon may have a picture like Hoards' penny boxes awaiting sorting.
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  15:54:10  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
been there, done that... twice (once paying out about as well or maybe a couple more 1964s, and once only lending 3 40%.

Haven't done it in over two years though! Even before I moved my supply banks cut me off.... no more buying the bags off machine. :(

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  18:21:21  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Welcome to the forum collectorofmanythings. Great story! Pretty soon guys will be doing this with pennies just to get the penny bags and capture the copper.

Those boxes pile up that all the time fasteddy. I have to hurry up and sort a bunch this weekend to make room for all the ones coming in next week.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

jacer333
Penny Pincher Member

USA
119 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2010 :  20:58:26  Show Profile Send jacer333 a Private Message
Welcome to realcent collector!

Great story...atleast you got "$30 worth of coins" out of it!
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  10:43:28  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Welcome and well done sir. Post well and post often.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  14:47:27  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you. Filling a bag up so you can buy it is a SLICK move.

You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be.......SLICK

Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2010 :  15:17:08  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
What Kind of shape is the 55 Franklin in? It's one of the more sought of of the set. To bad the 1938 Walker isn't a 1938D. That one only had a mintage of 491,000 and lists for $120 in G4!

Are you throwing that out?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2