Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Do you guys really...
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

stateofmind
Penny Pincher Member

143 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  15:13:24  Show Profile Send stateofmind a Private Message
Collect copper and go to the banks on such a large scale? I've read some posts here since I've been lurking for a while and there was this one guy with over 4000 posts talking about all the machines he has at the "penny processing center". Is it really feasible to do all this? I figure most here just sort through the pennies by hand, right

Check out our new site, RealCent.org!

"There are people who are very resourceful, at being remorseful, and who apparently feel that the best way to make friends is to do something terrible and then make amends."
-Ogden Nash

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  15:26:03  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
Hey stateofmind,

Welcome to realcent. What you are about to read, and probably see on this thread you started is going to blow your mind.

I'm looking forward to it.

Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org
Go to Top of Page

fasteddy
Penny Collector Member

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  15:27:57  Show Profile Send fasteddy a Private Message
many here have penny processing centers...many centers are small...some are multiple machines like what you have read, it is true...there is equipment available to do this(copper cent acquistioning) but many many many more are hand sorters like me. I feel that I am a small/casual sorter...4 boxes $100 a week. Try it...you might like it but beware it can get out of control...set your goals and strive to achieve...mine is simple finish filling my barrel-o-pennies Cheers...oh yesterday I had to use a dolley to transport 4 boxes of half dollars and four boxes of cents.
Go to Top of Page

Corsair
Penny Hoarding Member

811 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  15:29:56  Show Profile  Send Corsair a Yahoo! Message Send Corsair a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by stateofmind

Collect copper and go to the banks on such a large scale? I've read some posts here since I've been lurking for a while and there was this one guy with over 4000 posts talking about all the machines he has at the "penny processing center". Is it really feasible to do all this? I figure most here just sort through the pennies by hand, right

Now who in the world could that be?

So long, Realcent 1. Come visit us at Realcent.org!
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  15:31:00  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
Maybe we should have a poll asking that question but I think most who come here still sort by hand.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

NDFARMER
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1197 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  15:31:32  Show Profile Send NDFARMER a Private Message
That is the beauty of this hobby. You can do as much or as little as you like. Yes there are guys that sort thousands of dollars of pennies per week and have several machines, and several tons of copper set aside and then there are hand sorters that sort just a few rolls per week. But it is addicting as you get into it more and more you will want to start getting machines to make your sorting less time consuming and more profitable.

COPPER - the "poormans" precious metal!!!

SELLING - $100.00 face copper shipped to you for $189.00 machine rolled or bagged - PM me if your interested.
Go to Top of Page

cptindy
Penny Hoarding Member

572 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  15:32:08  Show Profile Send cptindy a Private Message
Ha HA ! Welcome to Metaland! Be prepared to absorb and comprehend!

I won't touch this one but I will read!

Welcome to the realcent forum!

Oh yeah!

I sort by hand currently!

"It is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting"

" The average man doesn't want to be free. He wants to be safe."

H.L. Mencken

http://silver-news-today.com/

Edited by - cptindy on 03/07/2010 15:33:57
Go to Top of Page

fasteddy
Penny Collector Member

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  15:34:53  Show Profile Send fasteddy a Private Message
dang, where are my manners...welcome to RealCent, stateofmind,
my brain is cramping from sorting 4000 halves today....now for 10000 cents...maybe later.
Go to Top of Page

NDFARMER
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1197 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  15:35:08  Show Profile Send NDFARMER a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by cptindy

Ha HA ! Welcome to Metaland! Be prepared to absorb and comprehend!

I won't touch this one but I will read!

Welcome to the realcent forum!

Did you mean "Mentaland". My family thinks I am nuts for playing with pennies.

COPPER - the "poormans" precious metal!!!

SELLING - $100.00 face copper shipped to you for $189.00 machine rolled or bagged - PM me if your interested.
Go to Top of Page

cptindy
Penny Hoarding Member

572 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  15:37:51  Show Profile Send cptindy a Private Message
It is a state of mind! That is for sure! Love It!

"It is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting"

" The average man doesn't want to be free. He wants to be safe."

H.L. Mencken

http://silver-news-today.com/
Go to Top of Page

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  15:42:39  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
Welcome to the fourm and I know that you will find you own niche in sorting.
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  15:54:13  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
quote:

Nope not true. Everything you read here is made up.... What kind of question is this? You know you are on a copper penny forum right?

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

Neckro
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Saudi Arabia
2080 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  16:04:17  Show Profile  Send Neckro an AOL message  Click to see Neckro's MSN Messenger address  Send Neckro a Yahoo! Message Send Neckro a Private Message
Just don't expect to get rich quick.

Trolling is an art.
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  16:19:35  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by NotABigDeal

quote:

Nope not true. Everything you read here is made up.... What kind of question is this? You know you are on a copper penny forum right?

Deal

I don't think he is calling anyone a liar, but he wants to know if it is "feasible". Well it isn't feasible for me to do so on such a massive scale. It takes not only an investment but also a lot time and a commitment to a lot of work. One should consider such massive sorting as a labor of love.

All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  16:22:08  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
Pennies? Who us sorting pennies?

Maybe this guy?

You must be logged in to see this link.

You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be.......SLICK

Go to Top of Page

AGgressive Metal
Administrator

USA
1937 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  16:24:57  Show Profile Send AGgressive Metal a Private Message
To give a straight answer, I would guess there are roughly two dozen people on this forum with "processing centers" of one magnitude or another - from one machine to several. There are hundreds of casual hand-sorters as well.

And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel / For nothyng is better than lyberte / For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world.
-Caxton's edition of Aesop's Fables, 1484

Edited by - AGgressive Metal on 03/07/2010 16:25:29
Go to Top of Page

stateofmind
Penny Pincher Member

143 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  17:08:41  Show Profile Send stateofmind a Private Message
Wow, I didn't expect so many of you to respond. I just watched the video posted by slickeast. How many pennies/how fast can that ryedale sort? and how much does one cost? And I hope I didn't offend anyone, I wasn't trying to say that you were lying or anything notabigdeal.

Check out our new site, RealCent.org!

"There are people who are very resourceful, at being remorseful, and who apparently feel that the best way to make friends is to do something terrible and then make amends."
-Ogden Nash
Go to Top of Page

AGgressive Metal
Administrator

USA
1937 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  17:18:57  Show Profile Send AGgressive Metal a Private Message
I don't have a Ryedale, but I think they are about $500 new. If you figure that you find 20% copper and that copper yields a 50% profit, you need to sort about $1700 (68 boxes) of pennies to break even. $500/1.5 = $333.33, 333 x 5 = 1666.66 (because selling at 1.5x face for the Cu, and 20% = 1/5, hence you need to sort five times 333 to get $333 of Cu pennies).

And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel / For nothyng is better than lyberte / For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world.
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  17:25:51  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:

Wow, I didn't expect so many of you to respond. I just watched the video posted by slickeast. How many pennies/how fast can that ryedale sort? and how much does one cost? And I hope I didn't offend anyone, I wasn't trying to say that you were lying or anything notabigdeal.

You are asking questions that someone new to Realcent should ask. If you were lurking out there and had such questions then there may be many others who are doing the same.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  17:40:10  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:

lol.. must have been an old post. I have over 6000 posts.. and even more machines now. Of course it all started with hand sorting. This hobby can be addictive. The beauty of it is that you can play at whatever level you want. Welcome to the forum!

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  17:45:11  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AGgressive Metal

I don't have a Ryedale, but I think they are about $500 new. If you figure that you find 20% copper and that copper yields a 50% profit, you need to sort about $1700 (68 boxes) of pennies to break even. $500/1.5 = $333.33, 333 x 5 = 1666.66 (because selling at 1.5x face for the Cu, and 20% = 1/5, hence you need to sort five times 333 to get $333 of Cu pennies).

I think you need to up your estimate to break even.

Because you still have to replace you original penny buy

For every 333 in copper your profit is 167
So you would have to come up with 999 in copper to profit 501.
But you still have to replace the 999 FV.

So 4995 X .2 =999, 999 X 1.5=1498.5
1499-500 (for rydale)=999

Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  17:46:00  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Well, first thing ya gotta do is get a few boxes of pennies.

That's the easy part.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

AGgressive Metal
Administrator

USA
1937 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  17:48:20  Show Profile Send AGgressive Metal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by thogey

[quote]
For every 333 in copper your profit is 167
So you would have to come up with 999 in copper to profit 501.
But you still have to replace the 999 FV.

So 4995 X .2 =999, 999 X 1.5=1498.5
1499-500 (for rydale)=999

Oh yeah, duh.

They don't teach logic in school anymore, its not my fault.

Edited by - AGgressive Metal on 03/07/2010 17:48:56
Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  17:50:22  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AGgressive Metal

Ug, math, hurts my head! Two trainloads of copper leave Chicago......
Welcome to the forum. I'm small time in this hobby and only sort maybe a box a week. I do half's now and then also, but only a roll or two at a time. It is addicting, and I once spent my prescription and Doctor co-pay on some rolls of half's that I found to have silver, UNC's and Proofs. Wife was a bit miffed when I told her I had to get more money out of the bank!

Are you throwing that out?
Go to Top of Page

AGgressive Metal
Administrator

USA
1937 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  17:51:36  Show Profile Send AGgressive Metal a Private Message
Don't listen to my math, it assumed you were getting the coppers free and only paying for the zincs. Don't ask why I did it that way, I promise I was not on anything illegal.

Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2010 :  17:53:55  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HoardCopperByTheTon

Well, first thing ya gotta do is get a few boxes of pennies.

That's the easy part.

And a couple of boxes of nickels won't obtrude....

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2