Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Looking for a good coin error book
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

knibloe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1066 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  16:10:38  Show Profile Send knibloe a Private Message
Any suggestions on a good book that outlines coin errors. I have never looked for them before, and think it is about time that I tried.

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  16:37:32  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
Cherry pickers guide?

You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be.......SLICK

Go to Top of Page

garnede
Penny Collector Member

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  17:20:53  Show Profile Send garnede a Private Message
Strike it rich with pocket change.

It does not go too far back 50's or 60's but it gives pictures and descriptions for most.
Go to Top of Page

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  17:32:00  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
I concur that Strike It Rich with Pocket Change is a good inexpensive book to use to get your feet wet in knowing what to look for in the way of errors. Just be sure to get the Second Edition--it is a reddish color cover.

I am sure there are much better, more detailed books out there but they will command a much higher price and if searching for errors isn't something you are going to enjoy, then it would be a waste of your money. However, should you decide you enjoy searching for coin errors after trying it for awhile, then you can do some more research and acquire a larger library to assist you in this endeavor.

Be sure you have a good light source and a good loupe to use. I have a lighted magnifier plus three different loupes and a pocket microscope that goes from 60x - 100x.

Good Luck and I hope you enjoy this new aspect of our hobby.

Go to Top of Page

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  18:01:25  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
I've got a cherry pickers guide. cents and nickels not covered. more die varieties than errors. (ie: no cuds, blanks, etc...)
If anyone knows of a good variety book frp cents and nickels I'd like to hear it.

Go to Top of Page

G Powerbuck
Penny Collector Member

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  18:37:35  Show Profile Send G Powerbuck a Private Message
Personally I use Strike it Rich with Pocket Change. It is less expensive than the cherry pickers guide and is great for errors found roll searching.
fb101- the cherry pickers guide also has a volume for nickels and cents. Other than that I don't know any books that just covers nickels and cents.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2