Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Sorting standards for "uglies" ???
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

64HalfStacker

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  14:27:41  Show Profile Send 64HalfStacker a Private Message
I am beginning to sort out the "uglies". Aside from the obviously corroded coins, what guidelines do you use to place copper pennies in this catagory?

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  16:26:22  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
I'm sorting my uglies according to the principle of "do unto others as you would have them do unto you." If I were a buyer of a large lot, and found (descriptions to follow) certain pennies in the batch, would I be disappointed they had been included? Would I feel ripped off? I'm actually not sure what I'll do with my ugly pile, but I'm not going to sell them to someone else, and I don't particularly want to send them back with the zincs and have to face them again. If the melt ban is lifted, these will head to the smelter. I wonder if we write to the Treasury Department if they would pay us to return cents that should be destroyed? My ugly pile contains, green or blue corroded, crushed/scraped/abraded/unrecognizable dates, blackened, deep red (or otherwise significantly colored differently from normal copper) and miscellaneous (ink marks, punched, cut, painted, etc.) It only costs us a cent apiece to "beautify" the circulating cents stream, I think it's the least we can do

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1112 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  17:29:17  Show Profile Send Computer Jones a Private Message
I toss them all in the Cu pile and will decide what to do with them once the Cu dries up or the melt ban lifts.
Cu is Cu.

There's profit if you melt things!!
8{>
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  17:31:14  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Nate sells the uglies by the pound. He keeps running out too.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

theo
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
588 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  17:56:21  Show Profile Send theo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beauanderos

I'm sorting my uglies according to the principle of "do unto others as you would have them do unto you." If I were a buyer of a large lot, and found (descriptions to follow) certain pennies in the batch, would I be disappointed they had been included? Would I feel ripped off? I'm actually not sure what I'll do with my ugly pile, but I'm not going to sell them to someone else, and I don't particularly want to send them back with the zincs and have to face them again. If the melt ban is lifted, these will head to the smelter. I wonder if we write to the Treasury Department if they would pay us to return cents that should be destroyed? My ugly pile contains, green or blue corroded, crushed/scraped/abraded/unrecognizable dates, blackened, deep red (or otherwise significantly colored differently from normal copper) and miscellaneous (ink marks, punched, cut, painted, etc.) It only costs us a cent apiece to "beautify" the circulating cents stream, I think it's the least we can do

I basically agree. I also separate out any coin with an unreadable date.
Go to Top of Page

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  22:29:27  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
for now they're just all together.

Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  22:55:10  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
I've heard speculation that leaving them mingled can cause the corrosion to spread to adjacent coins. Does anyone know for sure? Is this just an urban myth? Nightmare on Lincoln Avenue?

Hoard now and hold on!

Go to Top of Page

Shattered
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
523 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  08:05:42  Show Profile Send Shattered a Private Message
quote:

I've heard speculation that leaving them mingled can cause the corrosion to spread to adjacent coins. Does anyone know for sure? Is this just an urban myth? Nightmare on Lincoln Avenue?

I asked this same question a while back and was told that yes it can spread, but I don't know if it is true or how long it takes.

"I need metal in my life, just like an eagle needs to fly."
-Joseph DeMaio : Die For Metal
Go to Top of Page

64HalfStacker

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  09:57:46  Show Profile Send 64HalfStacker a Private Message
quote:

Thanks, beauanderos!

I appreciate the descriptions, and "do unto others..." is a good rule of thumb. I am really glad I asked, as I would not have been put off by, say, bent or scraped or cut coins if they were otherwise "clean".

Thanks for raising my standards!
Go to Top of Page

cwgii
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
924 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  11:37:43  Show Profile Send cwgii a Private Message
yup , i take out 'uglies' into a 1.75l patron tequila bottle. i go one step further. i take out the ugly zincxz. i take them to the local coinstar and get a lowes gift card.
Go to Top of Page

64HalfStacker

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  13:02:59  Show Profile Send 64HalfStacker a Private Message
LOL I think all zincs are ugly.

How about minor scratches? Or spotting?
Go to Top of Page

Shattered
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
523 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  13:09:51  Show Profile Send Shattered a Private Message
Copper is copper.

"I need metal in my life, just like an eagle needs to fly."
-Joseph DeMaio : Die For Metal
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  13:44:41  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by 64HalfStacker

LOL I think all zincs are ugly.

How about minor scratches? Or spotting?

You could go to an extreme here and save nothing but BU's or AU's, but like shattered says, copper is copper. The big hot cauldron at the smelter isn't going to care what the cent looks like. Individuals might be a little more discriminating in their taste, but I think you're gonna be okay keeping small scratches or spotted coins... even if they are meant for eventual resale to others. I mean... who even opens a roll they've bought from anyone else to inspect them? I just weigh them to ensure I'm getting copper and not zinc, if and when I buy from other members.

Hoard now and hold on!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2