Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Secret Techniques ???
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FormerHSPrincipal
Penny Sorter Member

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  16:54:50  Show Profile Send FormerHSPrincipal a Private Message
Earlier today as I was sorting a few rolls of the nickels I picked up recently, I realized that I seem to have developed a kind of sorting technique that at least works for me. I also realize that there are some real pros around here that could show me a thing or two when it comes to sorting. Always interested in learning how to do things better and more efficiently.

SOOOOOO, would those reading this please share how you sort your nickels from the time you take them out of the rolls, until storage.

You kindness would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you.

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  18:44:31  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
Not until you disclose your secret first. Just kidding, I have none to offer.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

FormerHSPrincipal
Penny Sorter Member

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  19:12:01  Show Profile Send FormerHSPrincipal a Private Message
Actually I have no real secrets ... It is quite systematic:
1. Take all 40 nickels out of the roll and place on table.
2. Turn all nickels heads side up.
3. Look at each nickel's date. If it is pre 65, I immediately look for a mintmark. If there is one, I toss it into my pre 65 mintmark container. If there is none, I toss it into my pre 65 container.
4. While looking at the date, I quickly scan the coin for any obvious errors of any kind. If I find an error, I toss it into my error container.
5. At this point I flip the coin over and place on table tails side up. This allows me a quick search for mintmarks and obvious errors.
6. At this point I generally count out 40 nickels and re-roll the nickels.

Unlike many here, I keep no written records of interesting finds ...

Suggestions????
Go to Top of Page

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2010 :  20:06:44  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
It just take time and pactice. I get my nickels in bag so I just grab a handful and go through them and I don't have to re-roll the ones I can't use. They go back loose.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  02:42:06  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Nickels take the longest of any coins for me to sort. I used to almost dread getting them.. until a got a roll with 31 Buffalos and 5 silvers in it!

Not much of a secret but I will tell you how I have improved my nickel sorting speed a little.

I have a lamp with a built in magnifying glass. I place a large plastic basket under the ramp. I pour a roll of nickels into one hand and look at them under the glass.. dropping all the rejects as soon as I see they are 1960 or newer. Pre-60's I drop in a basket to the right of the reject bin. Silvers I put in a little tube. When I have done a box or whatever pile of rolls I have on hand I take the bucket of rejects and dump it into one of the automatic rolling machines and hit the button. Then I go back to sorting pennies while the machine rolls the nickels. When it is done I rack them up for deposit at the bank.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

garnede
Penny Collector Member

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  17:42:35  Show Profile Send garnede a Private Message
I pour the coins out of the roll in a long line. By making a line you can flip 5+ tails to heads in one move. Then I flip all of the coins heads up and pull any canadians (that row of dots around the rim gives them away). Then I quickly sort, usually not looking at the date, but the mint mark and how deep the strike is and amount of wear. I can usually pick the pre 60's from the reverse wear. If the strike makes it look like an old coin then I will look at the date. Pre 60, canadian pre 82, and war go into a pile. another stack of searched coins gives me the replacement coins. I slide them off of the table into a coin counter/stacker and then into my hand so I can slide them back into the roll.

After I'm finished I separate the 30's 40's and 50's; the canadians; and the silver (or foreign) if any. I took about twice as long to sort my first hundred dollars worth of nickels, as it does to do a hundred now. Counting takes too long so I trust my coin stacker's markings, except on older coins. you get an extra coin in a roll of 1950's and 2 extra in a roll of 1940's.
Go to Top of Page

The Finest
Penny Sorter Member

USA
56 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  02:02:39  Show Profile Send The Finest a Private Message
Can you get a box of nickels anytime at a bank or do they need to order them like they do for halves? Same question goes for obtaining a box of pennies.

A fool and his money are soon parted. I would pay someone a lot of money to explain that to me.-Homer Simpson
Go to Top of Page

G Powerbuck
Penny Collector Member

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  15:51:45  Show Profile Send G Powerbuck a Private Message
It depends on the bank. Some banks I go to keep a large stack of boxed coin in the vault where others only have a few and they save them for businesses. The only way to find out is to ask, but if you are looking to get more than a box or 2 you probably will need to place an order.
Go to Top of Page

garnede
Penny Collector Member

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2010 :  22:25:26  Show Profile Send garnede a Private Message
Most will have $100 boxes, but smaller branches might only be able to give you 40-50 worth.
Go to Top of Page

zerocd
Penny Hoarding Member

555 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  05:21:10  Show Profile Send zerocd a Private Message
It's all about pattern recognition. I hunt fossils and rocks and minerals. Sharks teeth on the beach for instance.

I also am a hunter. Spotting game is the same learned skill.

Ask any bird watcher.

I look at piles of coins and my eyes do the work.

Practice.

0CD
Go to Top of Page

garnede
Penny Collector Member

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2010 :  12:19:05  Show Profile Send garnede a Private Message
Funny zerocd, I'm a rock hound and hunter/fisherman too. Once you get familiar with what to look for it becomes easy to pick out what is different from the rest.
Go to Top of Page

oly1oly1
Penny Sorter Member

USA
81 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2010 :  19:56:03  Show Profile Send oly1oly1 a Private Message
I put a handfull of nickels in a lid from a box of copy paper and spread out nickels(works best when box gets warn and isn't as slippery) once nickels are all flat I tip them so I can see dates.
I look at all heads up coins from bottom then work back and forth to top. I then have another paper box lid cut out (sides off) to fit perfectly inside of first lid. I turn upside down and flip all coins. I carefully look at all dates of heads up coins again (these were tails at first. I pull all prior to 1963's and then pour into my coin counter tray to bag out for bank. I can go thru bags of nickels much quicker than hand sorting. I don't handle the nickels nearly as much and feel like I get just as many pre 1963s as I did when hand sorting and rip through a lot more coin.

T.O.
Go to Top of Page

metalmoney.ca
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
223 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  09:59:25  Show Profile Send metalmoney.ca a Private Message
I put the whole roll in my hand, resting only on my middle finger, then i kind of let gravity do most of the work. since im sorting canadian nickels, recognizing the different compositions is relatively easy just by the lustre of the coin. I seperate into these groups: george's (pre 53), young queens with edges (53-62), rounded YQ's (63-64), ".999" (65-81), "CuNi" (82-99), and "CuNi*" (00-06 no p/mintmark), as a sidenote, 2000 "p" are not CuNi, however many more CuNi were made that year, and I have only ever found ONE plated 2000. so...keep those, they are rare. I also get a crapton of American pennies. Unlike most on here, I keep my CuNi's as part of my "cash" portion of my portfolio. patience...

metal is a claim on future human labour. let's all go get some while the getting is good, eh?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.18 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2