Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Cleaning a BU cent
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  22:40:41  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
I found a blazing BU 1956 tonite, but it has a spot of tar or blackened gum built up on it. Any ideas how to dissolve it without damaging the lustre of the penny?

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  22:42:16  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Trichloratriforethane might work. But most likely whatever you use is gonna leave a mark.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  22:45:00  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
what about gasoline or fingernail polish remover?

Hoard now and hold on!

Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  22:49:34  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
I think the Freon would work better. That was what the old stuff in the silver can called "Dissolve" was that all the coin dealers used before it got outlawed over concerns about the ozone layer.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Go to Top of Page

barrytrot
Administrator

USA
721 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  22:52:22  Show Profile Send barrytrot a Private Message
A "blazing 1956" cent would be worth getting graded potentially and ANY evidence of ANY KIND of cleaning and you can't get it "true graded", it will either be "net graded" (ANACS) or just "genuine" for the other 2 major services.

I would send it in to be graded.

Cleaning it will get your coin in trouble almost every time when it is in "BU" condition. Those coins show any attempt to clean them pretty easily. Especially, as it turns out, copper!
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  22:54:35  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
I agree with Barry on the cleaning. Copper is the trickiest metal to clean. Most folks foul it up horribly. But a blazing 1956 cent is not worth the cost of having it professionally graded. Do you want a roll of them?

Go to Top of Page

thedrifter
Penny Sorter Member

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  22:55:43  Show Profile Send thedrifter a Private Message
A few weeks ago I had a thread about cleaning dirty a corroded cents. I asked if anyone knew how to clean these. At that time I was using vinegar. Those coins did not turn out so well. They ended up tarnished. I have since done a few small experiements using hydrogen peroxide. They have turned pretty well. They need to be left in for AT LEAST 4-5 hours. I have not had much time to do large scale test or test on extreamely dirty coins, but I hope to soon.

The Drifter
Go to Top of Page

barrytrot
Administrator

USA
721 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  23:10:28  Show Profile Send barrytrot a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by HoardCopperByTheTon

I agree with Barry on the cleaning. Copper is the trickiest metal to clean. Most folks foul it up horribly. But a blazing 1956 cent is not worth the cost of having it professionally graded. Do you want a roll of them?

A blazing wheat is definitely worth grading. Well, it depends what you mean by blazing. I take it to mean "really really RED!". If that's what it means you could have a $50+ coin on your hands. Numismedia has MS67 as $600, much lower down in the lower ranks, but "blazing" is pretty high grade in my language :)
Go to Top of Page

DSK

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2010 :  23:16:53  Show Profile Send DSK a Private Message
Use bi-carb soda...mix with little water and cover the paster over the coin....leave on for a few minutes
and with wet fingers slowly in circulare motion clean......then rinse....this cleans anything//

DSK
Go to Top of Page

rakattack
Penny Pincher Member

105 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  00:24:08  Show Profile Send rakattack a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by barrytrot

quote:
Originally posted by HoardCopperByTheTon

A blazing wheat is definitely worth grading. Well, it depends what you mean by blazing. I take it to mean "really really RED!". If that's what it means you could have a $50+ coin on your hands. Numismedia has MS67 as $600, much lower down in the lower ranks, but "blazing" is pretty high grade in my language :)

I'm sorry barry, but you can get a roll of solid date "blazing" wheat cents on eBay for about $15.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  00:28:32  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
I am thinking if it managed to pick up a blob of tar that it also managed to pick up enough nicks and minute scratches to keep it out of the "wondercoin" category.

Go to Top of Page

bman
Penny Collector Member

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  05:37:54  Show Profile Send bman a Private Message
a cent can be blazing red and still only grade MS60 depending on the number and location of bag marks.

check out my coins for sale on ecrater : http://bmanscoinsforsale.ecrater.com/
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  06:01:28  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
ok, ok, I'll leave it as is... just seems to be a shame as the 1/8 inch spot detracts from the appearance. Thanks for all the tips, guys and I didn't want to "clean" the cent, just dissolve the spot.

Hoard now and hold on!

Go to Top of Page

Mikep2020
Penny Collector Member

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  07:41:56  Show Profile Send Mikep2020 a Private Message
Wow, speaking of BU wheaties, I found not one, but TWO brilliant, shinny and flawless wheaties last night, my first ever BU wheat finds in circulation, must've been part of a larger collection someone cashed in somewhere. I wonder how often BU wheaties are found in circulation.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2