Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 quick question about pre 1960 nickels
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

blacksheep404

12 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  07:39:18  Show Profile Send blacksheep404 a Private Message
What is special about pre 1960 nickels and is it worth sorting for them? Thanks.

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  08:11:14  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
We save them now for that fact that they are starting to be harder to find and if the melt ban is lifted they should become almost like the wheatback.
Go to Top of Page

PennySaved
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1720 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  09:07:16  Show Profile Send PennySaved a Private Message
I save all the pre-1960 nickels that I sort

SELLING COPPER PENNIES 1.4X FACE SHIPPED......“I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principles of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale” Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2010 :  19:44:52  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by dakota1955

We save them now for that fact that they are starting to be harder to find and if the melt ban is lifted they should become almost like the wheatback.

But they've had the same composition since 1946--75 percent copper and 25 percent nickel. What's special about non-war nickels??

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp
Go to Top of Page

johnbrickner
Penny Pincher Member

154 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  00:59:48  Show Profile Send johnbrickner a Private Message
From my (if I remember correctly) very first post: They are the only U.S. coin still being minted that has not been debased. The are considered by so called experts as undervalued, and for the most part they are under the radar. Few find them or want them as collectable. Once the govt. put the melt/export ban on them that solidified my belief. But the ONLY reason I need is only coin still minted not debased.

I find it rare for me to be ahead of the curve but, I think my "hobby" of Jeffersons is. I even own a few graded ones, I was able to cherry pick from HA.com a few years back when they were even lower on the radar than now. Putting a set together perhaps.

I personally keep all the pre-'64s as they minted a bazillion of 64s, literally and even a few of the lower mintages of the post 64's in better condition. I'll fill a coin container of these post '64s full then keep the best conditioned of the lot and recycle the rest.

Now if economic conditions continue to degrade and get worse or if Jeffersons are debased, I'll drop a load of FRNs and pick up 10 cases just for starts.

It's a jungle out there,

"I Killed the Bank" from the tombstone of Andrew Jackson
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  08:43:36  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
But John, what's the significance of '64 nickels other than the fact that there are a lot of them? Unlike dimes, quarters and halves, the only nickels with silver in them are from 1942-45.

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp
Go to Top of Page

ZigMeister
Penny Pincher Member

USA
229 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  10:43:37  Show Profile Send ZigMeister a Private Message
They have some numismatic value because like the Wheat cents are getting difficult to find. One dealer at a local coin show last week had a box of common pre-1960 nickels he had priced at 15 cents ea. New collectors trying to put together a Jefferson set will pay the .15. The price will probably go higher as they further disappear from circulation.

Edited by - ZigMeister on 02/23/2010 10:45:30
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  11:11:35  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
Okay the relationship with the Melt Ban is:
After it is lifted and assuming the price of copper and nickel have doubled or so, then when the coins start getting melted, those older dates will become more and more rare. If nickels get traded as bags of junk metal(like junk silver) then they will get picked through of all the good dates, but won't become that much more rare.

Just depends on when happens and what the driving factors are.
You have a three-way win situation.
1- they are always worth 5 cents
2- they have been and will be again worth more than 5 cents in metal content
3- pre-1963s may one day bring a significant numismatic premium

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

johnbrickner
Penny Pincher Member

154 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  22:01:58  Show Profile Send johnbrickner a Private Message
Nicklless? - I don't think the '64 Jefferson will ever have numismatic value because of the bazillion minted. My thanx to Kirkland, Zig, and Wolvesdad for the continued answers. I couldn't provide better than those you all have put forth.

It is my belief the pre64s will provide a numismatic value for the reasons stated above. also, I am willing to wait for that to happen or pass my collection on to my son for him to reap the value of my efforts with this hobby.

When TSHTF good chance the Jefferson will be a low value form of real currency. Most likely a form of smaller change for silver dimes. Hummmm, I wonder . . . So many bronze and brass Lincolns to the Jefferson, so many Jeffersons to the War Jefferson, so many War Jeffersons to the silver dime, and so on up to a gold coin? Anyone want to take a guess as to how the ratios of the Real Currency will break down? Just a thought to stimulate conversation.

"I Killed the Bank" from the tombstone of Andrew Jackson
Go to Top of Page

cwgii
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
924 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2010 :  12:36:57  Show Profile Send cwgii a Private Message
wish i could find a dealer willing to pay .15 each. my stockpile is getting up there.the buyer i had been sorting for, backed out
Go to Top of Page

TheSilverTiger
Penny Sorter Member

USA
25 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  16:15:12  Show Profile Send TheSilverTiger a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by cwgii

wish i could find a dealer willing to pay .15 each. my stockpile is getting up there.the buyer i had been sorting for, backed out

I'm not a dealer, but when your ready let's talk.
Go to Top of Page

TXTim
Penny Hoarding Member

629 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  20:48:41  Show Profile Send TXTim a Private Message
Yeah-
I have a $100 boxful and a $100 bag if someone wants to buy them for a decent price. I'll even throw in a 39-D and a 50-D.

Beer is my currency.
Go to Top of Page

Be Nice to BankTellers
Penny Sorter Member

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  23:52:53  Show Profile Send Be Nice to BankTellers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by johnbrickner

so many War Jeffersons to the silver dime, and so on

That conversion would need to be fairly close to 1:1. Maybe 3:2 at most I would think.

I have a simple formula:
10 zinkers to a nickel.
$10 in nickels = $1 in silver
Realcents trade at 3 to a nickel, that will be the odd man out, like that British shilling/pence/pound/guinea (and farthings?- who knows).

Hmm, 600 copper pennies for $1 FV in 90% silver.

Grandpa always told me, "Back in 1964..." I listened.

Selling copper cents @ $2.50/lb. + shipping.
Go to Top of Page

etdaddy

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2010 :  10:15:27  Show Profile Send etdaddy a Private Message
Interesting topic.
"Be Nice" - I think you've nailed it 'spot on' but I don't understand your comment of 1:1 or 3:2 at best. What are you comparing?

Coinflation holds the key to conversion as the "metal's" true (and relative) value has been meted out for centuries. It is simple division to compare any coin to any other to find 'how many' of each coin buys another. For instance a nickel buys 2.68 copper cents by dividing $0.0620726 by $0.0231488. Really though, these conversions will be more exact. Ten nickels will buy about 27 copper pennies, always. The cooler thing for us hoarders to remember is that each one of our nickels will buy a new 'golden' dollar forever. That is, WTSHTF.

A person who won't read has no advantage over one who can't read.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2