Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Optimum Containers
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

zerocd
Penny Hoarding Member

555 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  06:39:02  Show Profile Send zerocd a Private Message
Well, I have filled every jar, jug, plastic leftover container, etc. with copper and use 5 gallon buckets to haul out the zincs. I don't fill the 5 gallon buckets with copper yet, too heavy for me. I just fill them with coins, maybe a third full, to haul and dump.

I think 5 gallon buckets with lids are great and maybe with a hand truck, would be OK to get down my outside basement steps.

Love to hear your storage methods for copper. Economy is a factor of course.

Cheap place to get 1-2.5 gallon containers?

0CD

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  09:16:30  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
Have you asked at bakeries, sub shops, delis, etc?

Or, do any of your friends have cats and get the litter in the plastic pails? Just because you would have a pail you wouldn't necessarily have to fill it up, especially if it didn't cost you anything.

Enjoy your coin searches, everyone.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  09:41:16  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
The kitty litter buckets are great for processing or keeping copper in for a while, but are a little bit heavy for transporting zinc if you fill them over halfway. Even zinc is heavy. Canvas bank bags work great for transporting zinc up and down stairs and are reuseable. Sturdy tote bags work really well for me to get rid of my zinc. They have convenient handles and can easily hold up to 2 bags each. Just fill them to whatever weight level you are comfortable with. I recently got a bunch of 2.5 gallon buckets with rope handles at the dollar store.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  10:18:39  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
I store mine in 2 1/2 gallon frosting buckets that I get from the deli at work. Ask the deli/bakery clerks at your local grocery store. I use the big kitty litter for returning zincs. Yes they get heavy with $275 of zincs. I use a hand truck for taking them in the bank.

You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be.......SLICK

Go to Top of Page

zerocd
Penny Hoarding Member

555 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  10:20:18  Show Profile Send zerocd a Private Message
Dollar store is gonna get checked out.

I was at a resaurant doing a fire inspection yesterday.

Good source for five gallon buckets.

I think donut goo is five gallons also.

What (food item) comes in 2.5 gallon buckets?

Lids at dollar store?

Scavenger hunt later when I look for nickels.

0CD
Go to Top of Page

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  10:24:58  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
The colored cake frosting comes in the smaller 2 1/2 gallon buckets. They hold around $110-$115

You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be.......SLICK

Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  10:31:41  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
They always have a variety of things at the dollar store. You just have to look to see if they have something that works for you. If you get the rope handle buckets you may want to reknot the ends so they don't pull through when full of pennies. Those kitty litter buckets come with lids and stack well.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Go to Top of Page

BOHICA
Penny Sorter Member

USA
41 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  11:52:40  Show Profile Send BOHICA a Private Message
I use small size metal ammo cans. They stack nicely, are air and water tight, and have handles to make carrying easy. As a benefit, I get them from work when ever I need them. :)
Go to Top of Page

zerocd
Penny Hoarding Member

555 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  11:59:35  Show Profile Send zerocd a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BOHICA

I use small size metal ammo cans. They stack nicely, are air and water tight, and have handles to make carrying easy. As a benefit, I get them from work when ever I need them. :)

I have six ammo cans full now. The other hundred+ are full of ammo.
I have to buy them, lol.

Love ammo cans!

Will check with large grocer with a cake bakery for those frosting tubs. We also have cats in the family and I think some use the buckets, have to check.

I like stackable.

0CD

Edited by - zerocd on 02/18/2010 12:00:56
Go to Top of Page

JustSayNoToFiat
Penny Pincher Member

110 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  13:22:03  Show Profile Send JustSayNoToFiat a Private Message
[/quote]

I have to buy them, lol.

Love ammo cans!

I like stackable.[/quote]

+1 for ammo cans. I have to buy them as well, but I can get them pretty cheaply. I used them for dumps before I got ahold of the Coin Lock bags.

I don't have much of a horde yet, but what I do have stores nicely in them.

BTW, If you've got 100+ full cans, that's about 60-100k rounds, depending on caliber and assuming it's all center fire.

You got me beat in the "just in case" department there.

Please tell me you have a respectable amount of food and fuel as well.

It's Half Time...all the time.

Edited by - JustSayNoToFiat on 02/18/2010 13:23:00
Go to Top of Page

theo
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
588 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  14:11:59  Show Profile Send theo a Private Message
I store my copper pennies loose in Brinks boxes, since they can be re-closed and are easily stackable. I put about 15 pounds of copper in each (2250 pennies). I wish I could say that was it my idea, but I was inpired by several people here who do something very similar. I bring my zincs to the bank in a 5 pound bucket.
Go to Top of Page

bman
Penny Collector Member

USA
425 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2010 :  18:40:42  Show Profile Send bman a Private Message
OK...where do you work that you can get ammo boxes for free? where can you get them cheap? The local military surplus stores here want a small fortune for them.

check out my coins for sale on ecrater : http://bmanscoinsforsale.ecrater.com/
Go to Top of Page

zerocd
Penny Hoarding Member

555 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2010 :  05:02:04  Show Profile Send zerocd a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by JustSayNoToFiat

I have to buy them, lol.

Love ammo cans!

I like stackable.[/quote]

+1 for ammo cans. I have to buy them as well, but I can get them pretty cheaply. I used them for dumps before I got ahold of the Coin Lock bags.

I don't have much of a horde yet, but what I do have stores nicely in them.

BTW, If you've got 100+ full cans, that's about 60-100k rounds, depending on caliber and assuming it's all center fire.

You got me beat in the "just in case" department there.

Please tell me you have a respectable amount of food and fuel as well.
[/quote]

I posted pics here on the forum. Search and send me an email.

"+1"??? belong to AR15.com?

0CD

Edited by - zerocd on 02/19/2010 05:04:08
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  12:37:27  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
I like the ammo cans too. The .30 cal holds 100 rolls perfectly. The best I have been able to do on them is at the military surplus store. I think the last time I picked some up they were $3 for .30 and $5 for the .50 cal.

Go to Top of Page

Be Nice to BankTellers
Penny Sorter Member

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  13:59:51  Show Profile Send Be Nice to BankTellers a Private Message
Scoopable kitty litter plastic for storage, coffee cans for transport.

What are those ammo cans made of? I would be a little concerned about chemical reactions.

Grandpa always told me, "Back in 1964..." I listened.

Selling copper cents @ $2.50/lb. + shipping.
Go to Top of Page

kirkland

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  14:03:26  Show Profile Send kirkland a Private Message
Just a regular basket from the Container Store (a store right across the street from that plane crash a few days ago). It is a big basket, but I'm eventually going to have to find a new one, because my hoard is gradually growing every day!
Go to Top of Page

El Dee
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
547 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  14:06:42  Show Profile Send El Dee a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Be Nice to BankTellers

Scoopable kitty litter plastic for storage, coffee cans for transport.

What are those ammo cans made of? I would be a little concerned about chemical reactions.

Steel, painted with OD paint. Made to store brass cartridges for years and years without corroding.

Trust the government? Ask an Indian.
Go to Top of Page

cesario
Penny Pincher Member

129 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  14:26:43  Show Profile Send cesario a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Be Nice to BankTellers

I would be a little concerned about chemical reactions.

I've actually had some reactions with coppers in an ammo can marked for flares. Turned them green for some reason. Did a quick simple green washout and it stores fine.
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  15:36:27  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
Sounds like all the bases have been covered. I wish I had re-acquired a supply of kitty litter buckets. The ones I have are great!!

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  16:59:35  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
I use just canvas bags with a zip tie when full and coffee container to haul zinc back to the bank
Go to Top of Page

Derick

4 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  18:20:30  Show Profile Send Derick a Private Message
What do you think about these 4 gallon pals from Uline? Probably just like the kitty litter pals (but I don't have a cat). They are only about $5.50 with the lid if you get 10, not sure how much shipping would be, but I have a Uline (nationwide company) not too far from me so I would just pick them up.

The specs show it is for up to 36 pounds, I sure it could hold more, but who knows how much more?

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  18:27:27  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
You don't have to have a cat to get the kitty litter pails. I have friends that have cats that give them to me. They are happy to see them being put to good use. Just ask your friends and relatives that have cats.

Go to Top of Page

PennySaved
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1720 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  18:38:31  Show Profile Send PennySaved a Private Message
I like using used plastic coffee cans

SELLING COPPER PENNIES 1.4X FACE SHIPPED......“I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principles of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale” Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

CrazyTom
Penny Sorter Member

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2010 :  18:41:55  Show Profile Send CrazyTom a Private Message
I have been using laundry detergent buckets. The smaller ones have a metal handle.

Read Atlas Shrugged if you want to know why this country is in the crapper.
Go to Top of Page

Be Nice to BankTellers
Penny Sorter Member

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  16:39:17  Show Profile Send Be Nice to BankTellers a Private Message
Derick,

If you are willing to pay $5.50+ shipping for kitty litter containers, find someone who uses the stuff and offer them a few bucks. Those pails are only about $12-$15 when filled with litter. You can find a cheaper source.

I had three cats (only one now, sadly) and I have extra pails for bird seed, grass seed, garden tools, pennies and still have a few to spare in addition to the ones I recycled - not to mention I switched to a brand that uses a cardboard container years ago.

Grandpa always told me, "Back in 1964..." I listened.

Selling copper cents @ $2.50/lb. + shipping.
Go to Top of Page

StuffGiant

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2010 :  18:27:52  Show Profile Send StuffGiant a Private Message
I have been thinking about using PVC pipe with end caps to create a storage tube for my copper pennies. I would be able to handle them and they could be stored in a steel drum or plastic garbage can. Has anyone here done anything like this? See any problems with it?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 1.31 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2