Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 International Coin & Currency Collecting
 Currently Circulating World Coins Forum
 2001 Canadian 10 cent Special Edition
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  13:14:55  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
2001: A special edition 10-cent coin was released to honour volunteers; notable for a reconfigured obverse which did not include the phrase D. G. Regina. A small number of volunteer coins were accidentally issued with a die break error, causing the lettering to bleed into the reeded edge of the coin.

The above info was taken from Wikipedia.

Just had a strange experience searching a roll of US dimes. I saw that I had a US penny painted silver/white to try to make it look like a dime, so I know I am shorted 9 cents. Then I spot the reverse of another coin that was cool looking and definitely not a US dime. Flipped it over and saw it was a 2001 Canadian dime.

Did a quick Google search and found the article on Wikipedia that said it was a special edition coin. Then it mentioned the error on some of them. I don't know for sure if this is what I found or not. But, I am setting the coin aside to take to a coin expert at an upcoming coin show. There is definitely something weird coming off of the top side edges of some of the letters.

I don't think I can get a good enough picture of this to post. I had to use my new 60x - 100x pocket microscope that I picked up at the FUN Show to really see the details. Under just a lighted magnifier with one of my hand loupes it definitely looks like there is something amiss.

I'll keep you posted when/if I learn any more about it.

Does anyone know how many of the Special Edition were minted? The article I found doesn't give mintage numbers.

Bluegill
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  13:48:13  Show Profile Send Bluegill a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by PreservingThePast

Does anyone know how many of the Special Edition were minted? The article I found doesn't give mintage numbers.

224,714,000 of them.

Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  18:10:13  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
I find lots of these 2001 dimes - but I've never seen that error - hope you got something valuable.

The omitted phrase makes it the first "Godless" Canadian coin in may years. The Olympic quarters are also Godless.
You must be logged in to see this link.

From the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation site back when the new dime was coming out:
You must be logged in to see this link.

Best quote (I'd like to meet this guy) "I'm real mad about it," says 90-year-old Clem Hitz who used to work aboard the legendary vessel in the 1930's. "Why didn't they take that old beaver off the nickel? To hell with the beaver."

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  18:20:06  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
did not know this
Go to Top of Page

Junk Woody
Penny Collector Member

Canada
262 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  18:30:37  Show Profile Send Junk Woody a Private Message
I've put a roll of those dimes together just because they are different looking.

I have not heard of the 2001 error variety before Thanks.
I will have to check mine out.

Edited by - Junk Woody on 02/01/2010 18:33:25
Go to Top of Page

BCNumismatics
Penny Sorter Member

New Zealand
77 Posts

Posted - 03/28/2010 :  02:49:53  Show Profile Send BCNumismatics a Private Message
Can you please upload some photos?

Aidan.

Aidan Work.

My numismatic photos can be found here; http://www.coinforums.com/gallery/u6-bcnumismatics.html .

Please let me know what you think.
Go to Top of Page

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2010 :  08:43:29  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BCNumismatics

Can you please upload some photos?

Aidan.

Not at the moment. I will attempt to get some photos but I doubt my camera can capture what I see on the coin. Don't know how to work the scanner either. Sorry.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2