Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Tips to speed up rolling
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

subaqua99
Penny Sorter Member

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  22:01:00  Show Profile Send subaqua99 a Private Message
Just finished a 12 hour marathon handsorting session of 200 rolls. Starting to question my sanity at this point.

Took me about 8 hours to sort and about 4 hours to roll $55.00 bucks worth to go back to bank. ( minus an hour for break to eat and stuff)

My sorting actually goes relatively quickly. Canadian pennies are pretty easy as they change the queens head so a quick glance at her tells me the year range it is. The rolling is what is sucking up all my time.

Anyone have any tips to speed up rolling? I start by making two stacks of 25 pennies, then keep stacking to height the rest. But takes forever when I have a big pile of over 5000 pennies to do at a time. Anyone using any type of machine? or those plastic counters?

You lucky bastards who get to return and buy in bags. We don't have any coinstars or machine of that type in this area. I would kill for one of those.

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  22:18:24  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
I haven't tried this myself (maybe someone else has?) but was wondering if it would work. When I do rarely take the time to roll, I use your method of stacking 25's, but you have to count every so often or the stacks will start creeping up an extra cent. What if you got yourself a plastic penny contained like the coin shops sell. Put a black marker pen mark where fifty stops and then just fill to that point? I'm thinking that they don't completely fill the tube, so maybe you could slide a penny wrapper over the tubed cents and then invert it to dump them out. Like I said, I haven't tried it yet. They sell little plastic funnels on ebay with coin shutes on them which is supposed to make wrapping easy, but they want a ridiculous amount for them ($15 for a ten cent piece of plastic). Hope this helps

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Kurr
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2906 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  22:47:58  Show Profile Send Kurr a Private Message
Coin funnels. If you are particular you can verify by weight on a digital scale.

The silver [is] mine, and the gold [is] mine, saith the LORD of hosts. Hag 2:8 [/b]
He created it. He controls it. He gave it to us for His use. Why did we turn from sound scriptural currency that PROTECTS us?

KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The book of The Hundreds: http://www.land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/boh/bookOfTheHundreds_v4.1.pdf
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE_TWO_REPUBLICS.pdf
Good reading: http://ecclesia.org/truth/government.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears

Go to Top of Page

subaqua99
Penny Sorter Member

Canada
25 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  23:05:11  Show Profile Send subaqua99 a Private Message
It looks like my next logical step is a funnel. Are they that much quicker then making piles like I do?

Checked out some of the small cheap machine's that count out into a roll. But I'm thinking by the time you pull it out empty into wrapper, put tray back, probably just as time consuming as making my little pile. Plus I'm thinking the ones you put wrappers in, I couldn't use the used wrappers as they are kind of out of shape and opening of wrappers are all mushed up. Thinking more trouble then they are worth.

Just figuresd others have been down this road before and I could learn by your experiences. Thanks for the responses

Other thing about funnels-How accurate are they for canadian pennies? I know different years are different thicknesses. I have some plastic wrappers and I can put (52) 2009 pennies in one but only cram like (48) coppers in one. Just used that as example. So I was wondering if a funnel would have me putting in 52 in a roll? Thats why i shyed away from a funnel at first. But i'm willing to try anything now. lol
Go to Top of Page

wheeler_dealer
Penny Collector Member

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2010 :  23:15:50  Show Profile  Send wheeler_dealer a Yahoo! Message Send wheeler_dealer a Private Message
I tried stacks of twenty five but they kept coming up over/under after a few stacks. Now I do ten to a stack laid out on an empty table rows of five. Less tip overs,less inaccuracy. I recruit help from the nephews sometimes. They like to sort and roll and appreciate the occasional wheat penny rewards they get. I also tried a cent tray from the bank with a black line at the fifty mark. Still come up off once in awhile.
Go to Top of Page

Mikep2020
Penny Collector Member

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  06:43:58  Show Profile Send Mikep2020 a Private Message
I don't know what I would do without my coin funnels. They are an absolute time saver for hand rolling. I have a set similar to this:

You must be logged in to see this link.

You just grab a handful of pennies and pile them into the funnel and there is a mark on the funnel for 50 coins with an overflow so you can slide out any extras. I can bang out 50 rolls in a matter of minutes with this device. The design even allows the wrapper to slide between the stack of coins and the wall of the funnel for easy rolling.
Go to Top of Page

pennywise

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  10:46:00  Show Profile Send pennywise a Private Message
I'm glad I found this thread because I wasn't sure what to do about wrapping either. I'm probably better off not buying one of those cheap counter machines. I found this set of funnels on Amazon, much cheaper than the guy on ebay is asking for his funnels. You must be logged in to see this link.

So I got that plus 1000 paper rolls for $22.50. Now if I can just convince my wife to let me get a Ryedale.

Edited by - pennywise on 01/14/2010 10:50:49
Go to Top of Page

Zyll
Penny Pincher Member

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  10:59:58  Show Profile Send Zyll a Private Message
I use these funnels too. The slot on the side keeps you from underfilling a roll. My method:

1. Drop the coins into the funnel until they slip out the side slot.
2. Open a paper roll wrapper (the flat ones) and shimmy it down over the coins.
3. Invert the funnel and slide coins plus wrapper out.
4. fold down edge enough to keep coins in place and weigh roll on a simple Weight Watchers food scale.
5. Place a coin on or remove a coin from the scale until the weight is right for the correct $ value.
6. fold up rest of edges and place in the box.

It goes fairly quickly because I don't, at any point in the process, have to count the coins.
-----
Edited to include an ebay link to the kind of wrappers I buy:

Edited by - Zyll on 01/14/2010 11:17:08
Go to Top of Page

Zyll
Penny Pincher Member

USA
214 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  11:21:26  Show Profile Send Zyll a Private Message
By the way, has anyone ever bought these interlocking penny-roll trays?
They look intriguing but I'm not sure they would be more useful than the cardboard boxes.

Edited by - Zyll on 01/14/2010 11:27:24
Go to Top of Page

Junk Woody
Penny Collector Member

Canada
262 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  11:46:54  Show Profile Send Junk Woody a Private Message
I don't know if you do this already but seeing as you are in Canada and are handsorting.

When I dump out unsorted cents from their rolls I dump about 5 rolls into a bowl and use a strong magnet to sort out the newer plated steel cents from the coppers and zincs.

It saves quite a bit of time and the zinc Canadians and US cents are the only coins left to sort out.
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  12:05:35  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Yes Canadian coins come in various thicknesses, but the steel and zinc ones you want to dump (1997 forward) are all the same thickness. So even if you end up with a US oriented coin tube you can mark the correct level with a black marker.

I don't reroll copper for many reasons. One good reason is that copper rolls are too tempting for others to take to the bank intentionally or by accident.

I got a tube and tray set from Staples (green tube). It's ok, but then I upgraded to a Royal Sovereign sorter, then to a CS-10 with coin tubes. Your choice of equipment depends on how much you value your time and frustration levels vs the nominal cost of the equipment. A $20 - $300 investment in coin processing equipment will quickly pay for itself if you do much volume and you place any value on your time.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  12:26:33  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
I'm just glad I can dump bulk coins.
Go to Top of Page

garnede
Penny Collector Member

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  20:33:58  Show Profile Send garnede a Private Message
I bought something similar to the coin funnels, but it has penny nickel, dime, quarter arranged in a square. It has a slice in the side so you can see the coins and markings that tell you how many are in it. It cost about $10 at office max/depot. I never let a penny stick up above the top of the slit at the 50 cent mark since wear and the occasional canadian will make it shorter but not taller. I have checked the count several dozen times using this method and I always get an accurate count. I can count and make a roll every 45 seconds, faster if I'm using new wrappers instead of reusing old ones.
Go to Top of Page

Kurr
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2906 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  20:38:19  Show Profile Send Kurr a Private Message
JadeDragon,

How much FV could you roll in say, an hour on a cs-10? I have seriously been wanting to upgrade. Are the tubes worth it, or be better to save for the big glory auto wrapper?

The silver [is] mine, and the gold [is] mine, saith the LORD of hosts. Hag 2:8 [/b]
He created it. He controls it. He gave it to us for His use. Why did we turn from sound scriptural currency that PROTECTS us?

KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The book of The Hundreds: http://www.land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/boh/bookOfTheHundreds_v4.1.pdf
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE_TWO_REPUBLICS.pdf
Good reading: http://ecclesia.org/truth/government.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears

Go to Top of Page

garnede
Penny Collector Member

USA
386 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  21:08:45  Show Profile Send garnede a Private Message
I bought something similar to the coin funnels, but it has penny nickel, dime, quarter arranged in a square. It has a slice in the side so you can see the coins and markings that tell you how many are in it. It cost about $10 at office max/depot. I never let a penny stick up above the top of the slit at the 50 cent mark since wear and the occasional canadian will make it shorter but not taller. I have checked the count several dozen times using this method and I always get an accurate count. I can count and make a roll every 45 seconds, faster if I'm using new wrappers instead of reusing old ones.
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 01/14/2010 :  21:40:24  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kurr

JadeDragon,

How much FV could you roll in say, an hour on a cs-10? I have seriously been wanting to upgrade. Are the tubes worth it, or be better to save for the big glory auto wrapper?

I've never timed it. Several things slow me down. I pull all the US zincs out by hand and I often reuse old wrappers. It goes much faster with new shotgun shells. The machine just flies, it takes longer to fold the top closed and drop it in the box.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  01:23:52  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Zyll

By the way, has anyone ever bought these interlocking penny-roll trays?
They look intriguing but I'm not sure they would be more useful than the cardboard boxes.

I bought 'em! I already had several of these, but could always use more and this was a good price.. especially after Bing cashback and using my eBay bucks. They are sturdier than the cardboard boxes, and stack really nice. This is what the banks use.

Kurr.. those big Glory autowrappers are the way to go.. very, very convenient.. and they roll up your pennies while you are off sorting more with one of your Ryedales.

When I used to roll by hand, the best method I found was just to verify the weight on a digital scale. A roll of zinc should weigh about 126 grams.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  01:31:55  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
They sell coin counting trays.. usually used by banks. They are set up so each denomination lays on its side and stacks up.. the total count for each stack is printed next to the place where the coins lie. You could actually make your own stacker just for pennies with a router and a chunk of wood. Cut the groove for the coins to lay in.. then count out 50 pennies and notch it or saw off the end at that level.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  01:34:21  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by garnede

Wow.. that is fast for hand rolling.. I could never do it that fast. Even my big machines take 5-6 seconds to roll a roll. Of course if all 3 are running at once they are chunking out a roll every 2 seconds.

Go to Top of Page

JobIII
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1507 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  11:35:09  Show Profile Send JobIII a Private Message
I agree with garnede, re-using the CWI wrappers slow down the works. I believe i wasn't able to roll more than 30 or 40 dollars worth of pennies in an hour and that may have been under better than ideal circumstances.

Selling Copper cents. $0 FV available at 1.4xFV. Also interested in trading for wheat pennies and other coins Please pm me for requests or inquiries.

Go to Top of Page

george454
Penny Pincher Member

242 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2010 :  12:36:29  Show Profile Send george454 a Private Message
I borrow the tubes we have here at work every now and then and they work great, however if you are like me and you bank will only take back papper rolls then I definetly suggest using new roll to make the process quicker. If I do not have new rolls then I usually fill the tube, then dump and roll, a little extra work but saves me money on buying new tubes. I just ordered some tubes from this website, they were the cheapest I could find them, as well as a flat box of coin tubes.
Link:

Edited by - george454 on 02/01/2010 12:39:02
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2