Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 Difference in value between Silver Eagle 1 oz
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PennySaved
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1720 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2009 :  16:49:12  Show Profile Send PennySaved a Private Message
Is there a reason the premium is higher on older Silver one ounce eagles? I noticed this on APMEX. I assume it was because fewer were minted. Is the difference in premium really warranted?

SELLING COPPER PENNIES 1.4X FACE SHIPPED......“I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principles of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale” Thomas Jefferson

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2009 :  16:51:37  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by PennySaved

Is there a reason the premium is higher on older Silver one ounce eagles? I noticed this on APMEX. I assume it was because fewer were minted. Is the difference in premium really warranted?

only to some people. not warranted in my view. i have a hard time paying any premium for ASE's when you can get 90% in smaller denominations, its more readiliy recognizable, and has no premium right now.

Buying:
Peace/Morgan G+ at $15.00
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

cecropia_moth
Penny Pincher Member

USA
222 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2009 :  21:42:34  Show Profile Send cecropia_moth a Private Message
Can anyone shed any light on why the 1996 ASE has such a huge premium? I've always wondered about that. It has the lowest mintage of the series, but it is not that much lower than 94/95/97/98 (these are all under 5 MM...96 is 3.6 MM). Historically the 1996 has been priced at least 2X higher than any other year in the series.

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

Investin Cents
Penny Pincher Member

USA
129 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2009 :  23:47:58  Show Profile Send Investin Cents a Private Message
The 1996's low mintage is what drives the price - numismatically anyway. I have 4 of them & yes overpaid for 1 of them when I thought the price would go higher. Should have waited but oh well. Otherwise I think 1986 is also another "key" date if you value the "coin" aspect of this bullion issue.

Most recent book I've read: "Meltdown" by Thomas E. Woods Jr. Current book: "I.O.U.: Why Everyone Owes Everyone & No One Can Pay" by John Lanchester
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2009 :  06:32:02  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
when the SHTF and you are bartering with "Bubba" at the newly formed outside market, one once of silver will be one ounce of silver, no matter the date, name, etc.

Well, there is the possibility that even some common folk will prefer an American government made silver ounce than all the others!???? And with guys in the know they may actually even pay a 'higher than now' premium because they can count on the Eagles not being counterfeit. .... At least is one argument I've heard.

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

uthminsta
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1872 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2009 :  10:03:39  Show Profile Send uthminsta a Private Message
Perhaps the day before the CHTF (sorry, I'm a minister haha) you can sell all your 1986 and 1996 ASE's, two for one, for common dates!!!

Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org
Go to Top of Page

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2009 :  11:02:21  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
I see that you uthminsta are a minister so am I.
Go to Top of Page

Jangles
Penny Sorter Member

31 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2009 :  21:13:40  Show Profile Send Jangles a Private Message
The older years have a shinier appearance while newer years have a more "frosty" appearance. I suppose the older ones aren’t as common either which might make them worth a little more, you will run across 2008/2009 coins all day long but rarely do you see any from the 90’s. From a stackers perspective it’s all just another one ounce silver coin
Go to Top of Page

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2009 :  21:32:38  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message

Saying silver is silver is like saying a dime is a dime or a wheat is a wheat. Sell me your key date dimes for melt or that 1909 S VDB for a common wheat price. Some people are numismatic driven, some are bullion driven. You just have to sell to the right market.

You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be.......SLICK

Go to Top of Page

oober
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1304 Posts

Posted - 12/30/2009 :  22:55:28  Show Profile Send oober a Private Message
Unfortunately the market drives prices. Supply and demand.
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  10:00:40  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
But the question with the 1996 is "was it a manipulated rarity?" Ie, did a couple big distributors have inside knowledge that it would be a lower mintage and hoard them? Or did they just realize it early on by the lack of supply from the Mint.

So they set them asside and squeeze the market. Then guys who make year sets or whatever notice that it is hard to get these, then once the price has been inflated to $30 or $50 a round (when the price of silver was less than $10 an ounce) they start leaking them out a couple rolls at a time.

I'm just saying.....

Go to Top of Page

AGgressive Metal
Administrator

USA
1937 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  10:22:52  Show Profile Send AGgressive Metal a Private Message
You see this in other US coins. The rarest year is very expensive, but other years that are almost as rare are only half the price. People like to have the rarest year in order to make sure they can complete the set, I suppose.

And he that hath lyberte ought to kepe hit wel / For nothyng is better than lyberte / For lyberte shold not be wel sold for alle the gold and syluer of all the world.
-Caxton's edition of Aesop's Fables, 1484
Go to Top of Page

sheba
Penny Pincher Member

USA
191 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  20:17:11  Show Profile Send sheba a Private Message
As others on this thread have mentioned, I feel that the 'reason' one buys silver (1 oz or whatever size) or silver coins (numismatics) depends on each individual person.

For those who feel that they are buying PMs against a day when the FRN notes will be worthless, or at least will buy much less then they buy even today, ... it probably doesn't matter much to them what kind of silver they get.

wolvesdad hit the nail on the head ... silver is silver and if some sort of terrible financial crisis comes on this country and people begin bartering, buying, selling, based on silver or other PMs, numismatic value will probably have little influence. Like he said, 'Bubba' who is running the local gas station and grocery store is looking for PM value, not collector value.

OTH, there are those who love to 'collect' ... coins, stamps, silver 1 oz rounds, bars, etc, etc, etc. To them, no doubt, dates are very important and if a date is very hard to find, they will pay a premium to get that date.

I'm not a collector though numismatics is an interesting field of collecting (and I don't have enough 'discretionary funds' to be a PM hoarder, outside of a small quantity of Lincolns ).

But for those who feel there is going to be a time of 'super inflation' or 'super deflation', or whatever it is that finally ruins the US financial system, I would think that PMs (silver, gold, copper, platinum, etc.) in any form would be most important.

sheba

woof ... wag ... whine
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  21:57:50  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
Yeah, i mostly just have a small quantity of Lincolns too.

Compared to others anyway.

Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  23:23:07  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
I bid on five eagle lots on ebay fairly often. If there's a 1996 in the group, then the price goes way up. Every once in awhile, if you're bidding when no one else is alert, you can pick them up for melt, but you have to as vigilant as a hungry falcon waiting to prey on a mouse.

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2009 :  23:26:27  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
But it's basically supply and demand. If collector's are willing to pay for them and investors are willing to hold onto them, it provides a greater artificial scarcity than the numbers minted would seem to indicate. Certainly the price difference far exceeds the proportionality of the premium you pay. They're only 50% scarcer than any other date, but much more than double in price.

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  06:57:47  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
my prediction is that people who buy numismatic ASE's are going to be sorely disappointed. they'll end up like proof sets or something. the reason is that these are not circulating coins, so collectors have a ton of them.

Buying:
Peace/Morgan G+ at $15.00
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2010 :  17:50:35  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
I wouldn't pay more for them. To me .999 silver is .999 silver. I'm just trying to get as much of it for as low as a price as I can get. Its a little boring, but to pay so much more even for silver eagles in general just doesn't make sense to me.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2