Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Related Topics, Learning and Information
 Non-Metals Necessities and Things To Think About
 Retreat Locations
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jtm3
Penny Pincher Member

USA
187 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  14:19:43  Show Profile Send jtm3 a Private Message
In all of North America what States or regions do you consider to be the best places to have a retreat?

Also I would like to see what terrain and population density you would prefer.

Copper Cent Hoarding Wiki

coppercenthoarding.wikia.com

+637 posts

hobo finds
Penny Hoarding Member

838 Posts

Posted - 12/17/2009 :  15:24:21  Show Profile Send hobo finds a Private Message
I say we all go stay with Ponce!
Go to Top of Page

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  11:47:02  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
I like the Black Hills in South Dakota or the badlands in North Dakota if you like western themes.
Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  12:04:51  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
anyone who is wise enough to have a retreat would not post its location on the net.

Buying:
Peace/Morgan G+ at $15.00
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

jtm3
Penny Pincher Member

USA
187 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  16:13:19  Show Profile Send jtm3 a Private Message
I wasn't looking for a location of your retreat, or even asking if you had one.

I was wanting to know what States or regions you found to be good for a retreat.

+637 posts
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  17:05:26  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
Personally, I'd rather establish a retreat close to where I currently live--not where I myself am at right now, but anywhere I might happen to be if and when TSHTF--for the sake of reducing the amount of logistical maneuvering if things don't go as planned in distant locales or in my trying to get there WTSHTF. I think a compelling case can be made to plan to shelter in areas you are most familiar with, and for a lot of us that's going to be right where we're at. I'm sure most of us have plenty of sheeple relatives, but thankfully many of us also have relatives and friends who are spot-on when it comes to preparing, and those are the people we need to connect with as things get bad. I think a lot of people's ideas about setting up a retreat by themselves in the middle of nowhere can be a little naive and misguided--who's going to have our back if we need backup? I'd much rather utilize the situation where I'm at as long as there are people here who can help and whom I can help. One of my mom's brothers is a retired firefighter and paramedic and serves on local advisory boards for emergency responders. My mom's other brother was a small-arms instructor in the Air Force. My mom, on the other hand, is still firmly in the sheeple camp, but given that my brothers, my fiancee, myself and some key relatives have a good head on their shoulders on what to do in an emergency (which is not to say they're all on board with preps yet, but they're inclined to band together in an emergency), I'd rather stay right where I'm at and plan to retreat as close as possible among like-minded relatives and people I trust.

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp
Go to Top of Page

Bluegill
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2009 :  19:03:06  Show Profile Send Bluegill a Private Message
If things ever really get so bad that a retreat is necessary, I'm outta here. I'm going to Canada. Canada is by no means a utopia, but it will be better than here.

Edited by - Bluegill on 12/18/2009 19:03:30
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  16:58:39  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bluegill

If things ever really get so bad that a retreat is necessary, I'm outta here. I'm going to Canada. Canada is by no means a utopia, but it will be better than here.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Canada starting to become more and more like the U.K.--in a bad way? I realize we have absolute imbeciles running the show in D.C., but we don't have European-caliber privacy invasion and strangleholds on personal liberty in the U.S. yet, and I get the impression that Canada is a lot more restrictive than most of us libertarian Americans would want to put up with.

---------------

Go to Top of Page

copperhead57
Penny Collector Member

USA
255 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2009 :  17:21:51  Show Profile Send copperhead57 a Private Message
Far enough from major cities, and preferably in the mountains. Having abundant game, firewood and a reliable source of water is essential. However, I don't think it is a good idea to chose a location that is too remote.

It could be in any region of North America, but the Southeast would be my choice, because of the milder climate.

copperhead57

Edited by - copperhead57 on 12/19/2009 17:33:08
Go to Top of Page

JustSayNoToFiat
Penny Pincher Member

110 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2010 :  21:08:30  Show Profile Send JustSayNoToFiat a Private Message
You might find this useful, if you are into that sort of thing.

You must be logged in to see this link.

It's Half Time...all the time.

Edited by - JustSayNoToFiat on 01/18/2010 21:09:26
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2010 :  21:39:11  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelless

quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Canada starting to become more and more like the U.K.--in a bad way? I realize we have absolute imbeciles running the show in D.C., but we don't have European-caliber privacy invasion and strangleholds on personal liberty in the U.S. yet, and I get the impression that Canada is a lot more restrictive than most of us libertarian Americans would want to put up with.

Not at all. We have a good government comparatively and as much freedom as the US. Guns are more restricted but the crooks don't have as many guns either. You can easily find a place to retreat in Canada. Heck you might even want to visit me :)

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  00:53:55  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Yes.. let's all invade western Canada!

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

Lemon Thrower
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1588 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  05:11:21  Show Profile Send Lemon Thrower a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelless

quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, . . . we don't have European-caliber privacy invasion and strangleholds on personal liberty in the U.S. yet

the u.s. already has those - it just has better propoganda and control of the media.

i echo the poster who said a retreat needs to be accessible. i think a u.s. civil war is possible. a lot of states are broke and are rethinking their relationship with the federal government. 90% of an americans tax dollars go to the central government rather than to the states, but the states get little back in return.

Buying:
Peace/Morgan G+ at $15.00
copper cents at 1.3X
wheat pennies at 3X

Go to Top of Page

Mikep2020
Penny Collector Member

USA
402 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  13:08:50  Show Profile Send Mikep2020 a Private Message
Since i'm in the northeast, I favor the adirondack and catskill mountain ranges in NY for a retreat location. A major portion of the catskills is the watershed for new york city so there has been little to no development in this area. There are tons of wildlife, densely wooded forests, and enough fresh spring water to supply millions. The only problem with the catskills is that it is within 60 miles or so of NYC, and if the people ever evacuated out of NYC, this is an area a lot of them would migrate to.
Ideally you would want a location that is elevated above the surrounding terrain for three reasons: You would have a nice vantage point overlooking the valleys around you, you would be safe from any flooding, and its easier to defend against invaders.
Go to Top of Page

Delawhere Jack
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1680 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2010 :  18:23:10  Show Profile Send Delawhere Jack a Private Message
When TSHTF, I'll be high-tailin' it to Newark NJ!

Actually, I've got a place lined up 2 hours away to retreat to. A large farm owned by an inlaw. The inlaw is an older guy who is somewhat aware of where things are headed. He described it as "we're going into a period of winter".

The area is rural, about 8 miles from a small town/city. It's not my ideal location, but it's what's available to me now.

But to the original question, you've got to consider what is realisticly possible. Moving to a place where you don't know anyone, and don't know the local customs or culture would be a bad idea.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Edited by - Delawhere Jack on 01/19/2010 18:26:33
Go to Top of Page

kirkland

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  06:54:45  Show Profile Send kirkland a Private Message
Southern California has many great places, and the best retreat would be on Catalina Island in Avalon. They drive golf-carts there instead of cars!
Also, you could think about The Del Coronado near San Diego or Shutters on the Beach in Santa Monica. I've got great memories from those places.
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2010 :  17:48:06  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by kirkland

Southern California has many great places, and the best retreat would be on Catalina Island in Avalon. They drive golf-carts there instead of cars!
Also, you could think about The Del Coronado near San Diego or Shutters on the Beach in Santa Monica. I've got great memories from those places.

Is it really a good idea to have your bug-out retreat in an upscale area after TSHTF???

---------------

Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  00:17:37  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
This guy wrote the book (Patriots) James Rawles, and he pinpoints the Pacific Northwest (Idaho, Montana) as the best place to retreat if TSHTF. I think just as important is having a like-minded cadre of compatriots... you can't do it by yourself. We (realcenter's) should set up regional areas to head to if it ever comes to that, at least we have some common backgrounds.

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

kirkland

USA
0 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2010 :  08:11:24  Show Profile Send kirkland a Private Message
No, I was just joking around to see what you'd say.
No, if you wanted to get away from when TSHTF, you might try some place in the Great Plains or even the Hill Country here in Texas.
Go to Top of Page

jtm3
Penny Pincher Member

USA
187 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2010 :  21:47:34  Show Profile Send jtm3 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Lemon Thrower

anyone who is wise enough to have a retreat would not post its location on the net.

I have narrowed it down too far, now I'm afraid to post it.

Better safe than sorry.

+637 posts
Go to Top of Page

Roberto

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  01:14:51  Show Profile Send Roberto a Private Message
Hey all:

I've been thinking about this one for a LONG time.

I would want the following for a retreat area:

1). Low population density
2). Good supply of fresh, drinkable, water
3). Able to be reached within 1 day of hard travel
4). Good supply of trees (fuel & building material)
5). Ample supply of game
6). In the U.S.
7). not near major population centers
8). located in temperate climate
9). ease of defense
10). not downwind of known nuclear targets
11). not near nuclear or chemical plants
12). Ability to own land in "fee simple"
13). Not near an active fault line
14). Not near river or coastal area (ocean)
15). Cheap land & housing

I would suggest that the Upper Peninsula (UP)of Michigan has MOST of these qualities. The UP is truly a remote area. The cost of housing and land is quite low.

There is an abundance of forest & game. There is also some fresh water up there.

Certain areas of the UP are also very rich in minerals (copper & iron).

There is enough wood to supply you with fuel throughout the long winter. You could supplement your food options by having a greenhouse (can be powered by burning wood). There are lots of national forests up here. National forests make EXCELLENT neighbors.

The climate is a bit harsh. However, if you can stand the weather, this could work to your advantage. If the SHTF, you would need to be prepared to live up here. This might discourage casual migration...

You have access to the Great Lakes. These are a tremendous resource. Lots of fresh water, fishing, and navigation. You can get to a lot of places traveling on the Great Lakes.

Roberto
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  20:08:06  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
I plan to go to You must be logged in to see this link.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

tunylune

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  02:01:20  Show Profile Send tunylune a Private Message
I'm going to go live in the White House because I figure no one will be home!!!!! (giggles)

When the People fear the Government there is tyranny. When the Government fears the People there is Freedom. Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

Alpacafarmer
Penny Pincher Member

130 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  16:16:24  Show Profile Send Alpacafarmer a Private Message
Monroe County Ohio. Cheap land, great people, low low crime, ample game, low low taxes, guns out number people 4 to 1 (this has a lot to do with the low crime). The main thing is good neighbors because if TSHTF you will not be able to go it alone. I recommend to anyone buying a retreat to spend a good bit of time getting to know the people in the area of your retreat.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2