Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Were people melting nickels?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thebeave
Penny Sorter Member

USA
49 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  12:19:35  Show Profile Send thebeave a Private Message
Do you think people were melting nickels in large amounts before the ban or were they mainly focusing on copper cents. The reason I ask this is they made significantly less nickels therefore they would become scarce quicker than pennies.

-------------------------------------------------
You must be logged in to see this link.

2000 coppers

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  12:42:39  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by thebeave

Do you think people were melting nickels in large amounts before the ban or were they mainly focusing on copper cents. The reason I ask this is they made significantly less nickels therefore they would become scarce quicker than pennies.

2000 coppers

SLV appears to have been a major player prior to the melting ban. I don't recall him reporting if nickels were being melted or not. I know he did testing on Canadian nickels at that time so I assume U.S. nickels were at least being considered. If the profit was there at that time they would not have even needed sorting.

My guess though is that they were not melted. The melt value of the nickel had not peaked then and his buyers were not paying full melt value on any coins.

For good times to come or bad times to come, now is the time to save your copper or nickel coins.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

103 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  19:54:37  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ardent Listener

quote:
Originally posted by thebeave

2000 coppers

SLV appears to have been a major player prior to the melting ban. I don't recall him reporting if nickels were being melted or not. I know he did testing on Canadian nickels at that time so I assume U.S. nickels were at least being considered. If the profit was there at that time they would not have even needed sorting.

My guess though is that they were not melted. The melt value of the nickel had not peaked then and his buyers were not paying full melt value on any coins.

For good times to come or bad times to come, now is the time to save your copper or nickel coins.

Originally Posted by Copperhead
One more question please while I got you. Did you ever send U.S. nickels to the melting pot?

Nope. Waste of time. Our specialty that gave us the market edge was our ability to sort high volumes. With nickels there is nothing to sort. I understand, however, that Antares Metals in Pittsburg was strongly heading in the nickel direction... whether they ever did it, I don't know.

The above post is intended for entertainment purposes only and in no way reflect the opinions of the flesh and blood person writing the text. All writings under the screen name "copperhead" are merely a characterization of the personna created.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2