Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Scrap Metal Salvage
 Ferrite Cores and Canadian Cu Pennies
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

MatLock
Penny Pincher Member

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2010 :  21:44:30  Show Profile Send MatLock a Private Message
Hey everyone, I have been quite busy lately but wanted to come on to ask this.

Are ferrite cores good for scrap steel/"tin"? They seem to be made from Iron Oxide, which as far as I know, usually melts just below 3000 degrees F. Don't most steel foundries get around 3000? I just don't want to add these to my steel and get paid on weight that cannot be recycled. I don't have much but if I can, would like to toss my small collection into my steel collection.
You must be logged in to see this link.

Also, in the U.S., it should be legal to melt canadian pennies, right? I don't get much of these since I am in California but have a few pounds, so can pre-1997 pennies be sold as scrap? I would like to toss these into #2 scrap but feel weird about it. If it's legal, do the scrap yards really want to deal with these coins? Perhaps a could mix a few Canadian pennies into other scrap copper each time I take a trip?

Thanks for any advice.
-MatLock

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2010 :  02:45:11  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
There is no law against melting non-US coins in the US (and no law against scraping silver coins etc other than US pennies and nickels). If I were you, I'd try scrapping the Canadian copper and see what happens.

For Canadian steel pennies, toss them back into circulation.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Cadmium
Penny Sorter Member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2010 :  21:23:45  Show Profile Send Dr. Cadmium a Private Message
Yards by me will pay light iron/shredder scrap prices for small or broken up ferrite cores. If you have very large or thick ones you could probably get steel/cast iron prices at some yards.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2