Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Scrap Metal Salvage
 The Number One Rule of Scrapping
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dr. Cadmium
Penny Sorter Member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  10:03:21  Show Profile Send Dr. Cadmium a Private Message
Greetings all.

I've watched this forum with some interest for several months. There's a lot of good information here for both the seasoned and the novice scrapper.

However, based on a few comments I've read and my own experiences I suggest my number one rule:

RESEARCH what you have before you scrap it.

A great example is restaurant equipment. Sure, it's a great source of aluminum and stainless steel. But even if it's broken, it's usually worth several hundred dollars or more for repair or parts.

Another area: antiques and vintage items. A simple looking cast iron item or an old beat up sign can be worth several hundred dollars. Most very old copper items are worth many times their scrap value.

And don't cut the cord off of that broken amplifier for ten cents when it's still worth $150 for parts.

Whether you're scavenging on the roadside or doing organized pickups and cleanouts, remember that scrapping should be the final step of a several step process of evaluating and selling your material and items.

Find out exactly what it is and what it's worth, then compare to it's scrap value and the amount of time it will take to disassemble.

Feel free to suggest your own "number one" rules.

battlecat
Penny Pincher Member

152 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  11:14:17  Show Profile Send battlecat a Private Message
Great advice!
Go to Top of Page

rambo_k9
Penny Pincher Member

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  14:54:51  Show Profile Send rambo_k9 a Private Message
Very good advice... sure its not as fun as totally destroying something for profit...lol...BUT... very good advice.

Looking for a great summer read?? Stop by www.glennrambo.com You think the US/Mexican border is bad now??
Go to Top of Page

messymessy
Penny Sorter Member

88 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  21:33:21  Show Profile Send messymessy a Private Message
My number one rule is "What's your time really worth?"

Suppose you've got something you can sell for $10 with no effort or $30 if you separate everything. Obviously, you want to get the most possible, but just how long will it take you to separate everything? Is your time really worth it?
Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  21:39:55  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by messymessy

My number one rule is "What's your time really worth?"

Suppose you've got something you can sell for $10 with no effort or $30 if you separate everything. Obviously, you want to get the most possible, but just how long will it take you to separate everything? Is your time really worth it?

Our time is priceless.
I went through this exercise today and scrapped a lot of stuff that could have been sold out-right, several tons of stuff.

We just didn't have the time to mess with it.

Time just kicks your as$, doesn't it.

Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org
Go to Top of Page

rambo_k9
Penny Pincher Member

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  22:38:10  Show Profile Send rambo_k9 a Private Message
I'm kind of in the opposite spectrum. I'm enjoying taking every scrap apart down to the thread of copper. To me its relaxing. Takes my mind off of work and sometimes I can get the wife involved and she has a good time too. I'll enjoy the money when it comes but knowing stuff isn't going to a landfill gives me some satisfaction as well.

Looking for a great summer read?? Stop by www.glennrambo.com You think the US/Mexican border is bad now??
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Cadmium
Penny Sorter Member

USA
26 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  22:46:35  Show Profile Send Dr. Cadmium a Private Message
Of course it's important to factor in time. If a low cost item is only worth 10% more than scrap value it's not worth saving unless you can sell it as fast as scrap.

But given a choice between a dime today or a dollar within 30 days, I will take the later.

Example: Last month I picked up an under-the counter microwave for free.

As is it would have been only $2 as scrap (40 lbs x $.05/lb)

Broken down and separated (time investment = 10 minutes) it would have been about $5.

However I pulled three working parts off of it, sold them online and then broke down the rest. I made my $5 the next day at the scrap yard and $50 profit over the next 24 days by selling the parts. Total time invested: 40 minutes including break down, listing and shipping items.

No time invested: $2.
10 minutes invested: $5, an additional $3 or $30/hour.
40 minutes invested: $55, an additional $53 or $79.50/hour.

Sure, destruction and disassembly can be therapeutic but I'd rather have the money.

quote:

Originally posted by thogey

We just didn't have the time to mess with it.

Two words: flea market. I make at least $50/hr at mine, and that's after subtracting the setup fees. And almost everything I sell there I get from the trash or next to nothing at garage sales. Or if you're that busy, find someone who has the time to setup there and sell them items at 2X or more what you get for them as broken down or sorted scrap.
Go to Top of Page

mjcurley3
Penny Sorter Member

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  04:44:51  Show Profile Send mjcurley3 a Private Message
So how about scrapping a fire hydrant. ....they are heaaaaaaavy.....but what are they made of I could barely get it out of my car.
Go to Top of Page

silversaddle1
Penny Pincher Member

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  22:34:22  Show Profile Send silversaddle1 a Private Message
#1 rule of being a good scrap man---- Don't fall in love with your scrap.

If you fall in love with your scrap, you're a junk man.

I ain't no junk man!
Go to Top of Page

abe
Penny Pincher Member

117 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  07:55:44  Show Profile Send abe a Private Message
Time? I've got plenty of time thats why I take my time. I agree with Dr. Cadmium why get scrap price when with a little advertizing your piece could fetch 100x or 1000x. I'm in to make the largest possible $$$ signs that I can.
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  11:51:45  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by silversaddle1

I ain't no junk man!

Although most people won't fall victim to this, to some it IS like an addiction.

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

rambo_k9
Penny Pincher Member

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  14:03:18  Show Profile Send rambo_k9 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by silversaddle1

I ain't no junk man!

Don't tell me what I can't love!!!!! Arrrrrgghhhh. Alright with that out of the way... Can I just like my scrap a WHOLE LOT??!!...lol

Go to Top of Page

Numis Pam
Penny Sorter Member

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  02:54:56  Show Profile Send Numis Pam a Private Message
Interesting food for thought, Thanks for sharing. I hope to convince my hubby to start doing some of this stuff with me. I think it would be a good, but profitable hobby for us as a couple.

http://www.extrabux.com/r/4c6f54ba32 1% -27% cash back on purchases. Plus Refer Friends and Get $5 to Spend at Ebay or any of hundreds of participating online stores.

Edited by - Numis Pam on 08/05/2010 02:55:42
Go to Top of Page

cptindy
Penny Hoarding Member

572 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  17:10:18  Show Profile Send cptindy a Private Message
Some good advice here...

I will say a top priority for any scrapper would be...

SPARE TIRES

"It is the nature of the human species to reject what is true but unpleasant and to embrace what is obviously false but comforting"

" The average man doesn't want to be free. He wants to be safe."

H.L. Mencken

http://silver-news-today.com/
Go to Top of Page

slickeast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2533 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  18:09:22  Show Profile Send slickeast a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by mjcurley3

So how about scrapping a fire hydrant. ....they are heaaaaaaavy.....but what are they made of I could barely get it out of my car.

Is there water shooting out of the ground somewhere?

You don't have to be the BEST you just have to be.......SLICK

Go to Top of Page

bruce hylton
Penny Pincher Member

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  19:03:55  Show Profile Send bruce hylton a Private Message
I think I have to admit to being a junk man. I have never heard that definition before, but it does fit. And I do sell a lot of odd pieces to be put back into use.
Go to Top of Page

wolvesdad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2164 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  22:27:37  Show Profile Send wolvesdad a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by slickeast

quote:

Is there water shooting out of the ground somewhere?

had the same thought.

"May your percentages ever increase!"
Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2010 :  18:36:55  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
Hmm, I will sell stuff I find, and I take everything apart for better value, but I draw the line at "projects". If it requires money or very much time I just let it go. If I kept everything I thought I could fix and sell, I'd have no room for my scrap! Of course, I say that after just tripping over the old style Singer sewing machine I brought in the house to try and sell!!

Are you throwing that out?
Go to Top of Page

cpthnsolo
Penny Sorter Member

50 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2010 :  14:06:46  Show Profile Send cpthnsolo a Private Message
quote:

Belive it or not a number of people would be interested in purchasing a fire hydrant for more than scrap weight (I would love to have one for my backyard dog area). List it for two to three times its value in scrap on CL and it will sell quickly.
Go to Top of Page

quanahparker

8 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2010 :  21:20:25  Show Profile Send quanahparker a Private Message
My advice is this; scrap doesn't wait around for anybody so be prepared. If you drive by something get it then and there. Many times I've been driving home in my car, seen a washing machine or grill, and came back 10 minutes later with my van and the scrap was gone. So now I always drive the van on pickup days and keep my tools with me.
Go to Top of Page

carterandsabina

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2010 :  14:53:52  Show Profile Send carterandsabina a Private Message
this is some great advice. I might have to start getting into scrapping. what are your biggest scores?
Go to Top of Page

iSortpennies

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2010 :  18:13:06  Show Profile  Send iSortpennies an AOL message  Send iSortpennies an ICQ Message  Send iSortpennies a Yahoo! Message Send iSortpennies a Private Message
Sounds cool i might get into it.

Got Pennies?
Go to Top of Page

rambo_k9
Penny Pincher Member

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2010 :  17:22:04  Show Profile Send rambo_k9 a Private Message
Had a good lesson in this. I picked up several bike frames from where I work that were in a trash pile. Brought them home with the intention to scrap but decided to put ad on Craigslist. Found a guy in city across the river that rebuilds. Sold him some bike frames that I would have got pennies for in the scrap pile.
We now have a relationship and he'll buy anything else I can get him.

Go to Top of Page

Flbandit
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2010 :  17:05:46  Show Profile Send Flbandit a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by carterandsabina

this is some great advice. I might have to start getting into scrapping. what are your biggest scores?

My best to date was a bicycle frame with some parts attached. Turns out it's a hand built frame made by a guy up in Chicago. It also had a Campy Super Record Crank on it. I got $125.00 for the crank and had offers on the frame. I kept the frame and plan to build it up with vintage Sun Tour parts.

Are you throwing that out?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2