Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Scrap Metal Salvage
 Steel
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rexmerdinus
Penny Sorter Member

47 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2010 :  11:54:12  Show Profile Send rexmerdinus a Private Message
Wondering what the going scrap rate is for steel, specifically railroad spikes and the like?

rambo_k9
Penny Pincher Member

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2010 :  12:02:20  Show Profile Send rambo_k9 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by rexmerdinus

Wondering what the going scrap rate is for steel, specifically railroad spikes and the like?

As of Thursday my yard here in Southern NJ was paying $9.00 per hundred lbs of steel.

Looking for a great summer read?? Stop by www.glennrambo.com You think the US/Mexican border is bad now??
Go to Top of Page

hobo finds
Penny Hoarding Member

838 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2010 :  12:19:46  Show Profile Send hobo finds a Private Message
$.065 a pound in So. AZ.
Go to Top of Page

silversaddle1
Penny Pincher Member

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2010 :  12:46:15  Show Profile Send silversaddle1 a Private Message
If you plan on selling railroad scrap. you may need to prove to the scrapyard where you got the stuff, if they will even buy it from you.
Go to Top of Page

rexmerdinus
Penny Sorter Member

47 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2010 :  12:53:14  Show Profile Send rexmerdinus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by silversaddle1

If you plan on selling railroad scrap. you may need to prove to the scrapyard where you got the stuff, if they will even buy it from you.

Yeah I was thinking about that. There's miles of remote RR out where I live, with used spikes just strewn around. Also, miles and miles of old copper wire, I'd say 10-ga or bigger. I know it is unused right now because in some sections it is totally disconnected, or the poles down. I'd guess it's probably not legal to go in and snap it all up, even though I'm sure they wouldn't miss it!
Go to Top of Page

wayne1956
Penny Pincher Member

177 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2010 :  14:17:22  Show Profile Send wayne1956 a Private Message
The yards around me will NOT take anything related to railroads (track, spikes, etc).
Go to Top of Page

rambo_k9
Penny Pincher Member

USA
106 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2010 :  15:35:21  Show Profile Send rambo_k9 a Private Message
quote:

[quote]Originally posted by silversaddle1

Yeah I was thinking about that. There's miles of remote RR out where I live, with used spikes just strewn around. Also, miles and miles of old copper wire, I'd say 10-ga or bigger. I know it is unused right now because in some sections it is totally disconnected, or the poles down. I'd guess it's probably not legal to go in and snap it all up, even though I'm sure they wouldn't miss it!
[/quote

Get it and hang on to it or do your research with your scrap yard and see what they say. Take some Gatorade bottles or coffee with you when you go. You'd be surprised.

Looking for a great summer read?? Stop by www.glennrambo.com You think the US/Mexican border is bad now??
Go to Top of Page

natsb88
Administrator

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2010 :  15:41:44  Show Profile Send natsb88 a Private Message
Regardless of whether or not it's in use, it's probably still owned by the railroad, or whatever company bought out the railroad, so yes, it would be stealing. As others have mentioned, many yards will not take any type of railroad scrap for that very reason.

Nate
The Copper Cave

Edited by - natsb88 on 08/16/2010 15:42:22
Go to Top of Page

messymessy
Penny Sorter Member

88 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2010 :  20:06:10  Show Profile Send messymessy a Private Message
Be careful about railroad wire. Around here, the majority of it was copper coated steel.
Go to Top of Page

thogey
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1617 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2010 :  20:21:51  Show Profile Send thogey a Private Message
.06 in prescott for nasty unprepared type.

Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org
Go to Top of Page

rexmerdinus
Penny Sorter Member

47 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2010 :  23:26:46  Show Profile Send rexmerdinus a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by messymessy

Be careful about railroad wire. Around here, the majority of it was copper coated steel.

I found a section that was downed and clipped off a few of the broken ends--some were copper coated steel (about 12 or 14 gauge), but at least one strand was solid copper, nice and thick. Alas, being an officer of the law I can't just stake a claim and start mining it!
Go to Top of Page

messymessy
Penny Sorter Member

88 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2010 :  21:54:19  Show Profile Send messymessy a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by messymessy

I found a section that was downed and clipped off a few of the broken ends--some were copper coated steel (about 12 or 14 gauge), but at least one strand was solid copper, nice and thick. Alas, being an officer of the law I can't just stake a claim and start mining it!

That's sounds similar to around here. All of the bare ones that are oxidized are copper coated steel. There is one that is insulated and I believe it is #10 AWG copper.

You might check and see who actually owns the land now. All of the unused railroad right-of-ways around here were auctioned off. Depending on who bought it, they may just give you the scrap for cleaning it up.

And would you believe you could probably make more money selling the glass insulators off the top of the poles than you could selling the scrap wire?
Go to Top of Page

rexmerdinus
Penny Sorter Member

47 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2010 :  10:06:08  Show Profile Send rexmerdinus a Private Message
Well, the rr is still used, it's just the wires that are defunct. And yes, I may have grabbed a few glass insulators off a downed pole :) I checked on Ebay, and most of them seem to go unsold--I know there is a collector's market for these, but I think they're pretty common unless you find a particularly special one.
Go to Top of Page

scrapman1077
Penny Sorter Member

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2010 :  16:13:51  Show Profile Send scrapman1077 a Private Message
If you have RR spikes, you may find buyers here You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

Kurr
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2906 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2010 :  17:56:27  Show Profile Send Kurr a Private Message
Be VERY careful. Removing even 1 spike from an active railroad is a domestic terrorism charge since the patriot act.

Low to med carbon steel, makes nice letter openers, but not a GOOD blade. Looks cool though.

The silver [is] mine, and the gold [is] mine, saith the LORD of hosts. Hag 2:8 [/b]
He created it. He controls it. He gave it to us for His use. Why did we turn from sound scriptural currency that PROTECTS us?

KJV Bible w/ Strong's Concordance: http://www.blueletterbible.org/
The book of The Hundreds: http://www.land.netonecom.net/tlp/ref/boh/bookOfTheHundreds_v4.1.pdf
The Two Republics: http://www.whitehorsemedia.com/docs/THE_TWO_REPUBLICS.pdf
Good reading: http://ecclesia.org/truth/government.html

A number of people are educated beyond, sometimes way beyond, their intelligence. - Tenbears

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2