Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Shut down!!!
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BadKarma
Penny Sorter Member

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  06:28:49  Show Profile Send BadKarma a Private Message
I went to my main bank branch to pick up a box of cents and was informed that because I am not a business I can't buy boxes of cents anymore!!!!!

They have been selling me these boxes for 2 weeks! I have banked there for 10 years, paid off a couple loans and never complained and now they can't trade me a box of pennies!!!!

So I went to a branch office and got my pennies. 1st roll had a very nice Canadian cent!!! 6th roll had a very very nice Canadian KG VI. So my blood pressure went down accordingly! ;)

If you bowhunt Cape Buffalo, you just might wet your pants!

mauk13r
Penny Sorter Member

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  08:54:37  Show Profile Send mauk13r a Private Message
My chase bank branch will sell me as much as I want...
Go to Top of Page

theo
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
588 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  09:27:26  Show Profile Send theo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BadKarma

I went to my main bank branch to pick up a box of cents and was informed that because I am not a business I can't buy boxes of cents anymore!!!!!

They have been selling me these boxes for 2 weeks! I have banked there for 10 years, paid off a couple loans and never complained and now they can't trade me a box of pennies!!!!

So I went to a branch office and got my pennies. 1st roll had a very nice Canadian cent!!! 6th roll had a very very nice Canadian KG VI. So my blood pressure went down accordingly! ;)

They shut you off for one box? Sounds like a teller that doesn't want to do the heavy lifting. The fact that another branch will still sell you pennies, tells me that this is probably not a bank-wide policy.

Ask to see the bank manager. If you reasonably state your case you should be able to get pennies from them again. If not; make them your dump bank. Remember that you are the customer.

Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  10:35:57  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
Sorry to hear that, BK. I'm afraid... that as more and more others take up our hobby, that eventually this will happen to all of us. But give Theo's idea a try, it might work

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

PennySaved
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1720 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  10:59:20  Show Profile Send PennySaved a Private Message
Sounds like you found a new dump bank :-)

SELLING COPPER PENNIES 1.4X FACE SHIPPED......“I sincerely believe that banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies, and that the principles of spending money to be paid by posterity, under the name of funding, is but swindling futurity on a large scale” Thomas Jefferson
Go to Top of Page

BadKarma
Penny Sorter Member

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  12:28:51  Show Profile Send BadKarma a Private Message
Well, being as this is a rather small community and my brother and myself know the VP a bit, I sent him an email asking why. We'll see how this goes. If nothing else, they'll be my full time dump.

Go to Top of Page

abe
Penny Pincher Member

117 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  14:43:28  Show Profile Send abe a Private Message
Yea, sounds like someone is afraid of a little x-tra work. Personally, I bank out of state, I'm in a small town and the bankers like telling who has what at a bar. Not Cool.
Go to Top of Page

vrbsroma
Penny Collector Member

394 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  16:36:33  Show Profile Send vrbsroma a Private Message
I've learned that each branch has its own policies. They may give numerous reasons, but bottom line is they just don't want to be bothered with ordering more coins from the armored car agency (which may cost them money) and/or they don't want to deal with all the heavy boxes. If you explain that you will only be purchasing coin there, and will dump it at their competitor across town they may change their minds ;)

As far as I know, it is stated "In God We Trust" on the US dollar. How can I trust this currency if I do not believe in God?

Possession is nine-tenths of the law.

When I give my two cents, they're always copper!
Go to Top of Page

dakota1955
1000+ Penny Miser Member

2212 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  17:09:15  Show Profile  Send dakota1955 a Yahoo! Message Send dakota1955 a Private Message
I'm having a harder time to find both supply banks and dump banks. That is the one thing that limits what I can do.
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  17:24:40  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by dakota1955

I'm having a harder time to find both supply banks and dump banks. That is the one thing that limits what I can do.

My understanding is that as long as your are depositing coinage they have to take them. As for supply bank, they don't have to supply you but if you let them know you won't dump on them it may be an incentive.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

beauanderos
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2408 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  17:24:42  Show Profile Send beauanderos a Private Message
quote:

Couldn't you ask the congregation to donate to a pennies only fundraiser, for some worthy cause? Then place an equivalent amount in the pot?

Hoard now and hold on!

http://coppermillions.blogspot.com/
http://wherewillyoubein2012.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

stateofmind
Penny Pincher Member

143 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  17:46:24  Show Profile Send stateofmind a Private Message
Sorry to hear about that. I recently was told that I need to tone down my 16-box-a-week pickups, or I am going to get cut off as well. =/

Check out our new site, RealCent.org!

"There are people who are very resourceful, at being remorseful, and who apparently feel that the best way to make friends is to do something terrible and then make amends."
-Ogden Nash
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  17:52:04  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
It happens to the best of us. Do they have a coin machine? If so, and the machine seperates by denomination, offer to buy all their cents. This actually saves them money.

Or just turn them into your dump. Tell them you would rather get your coin from them than to MAKE them take you returns. Or the infamous, "Gimme coins or else I'll close my accounts." It works as well sometimes.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  01:48:41  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
It is your duty to help out any bank that needs their precious coins for more important business clients by increasing their penny supply exponentially. Supply banks are groomed, dump banks self select themselves.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  07:16:22  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by jadedragon

It is your duty to help out any bank that needs their precious coins for more important business clients by increasing their penny supply exponentially. Supply banks are groomed, dump banks self select themselves.

Yeah. What he said. Find out if it's a teller or branch issue. If it's a teller issue, complain. If it's a branch issue, Dump bank!

Go to Top of Page

BadKarma
Penny Sorter Member

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  10:11:53  Show Profile Send BadKarma a Private Message
Yeah, I'll find out something today. Head teller is a good friend of my brothers. He'll see her at the bank today.

Go to Top of Page

frugalcanuck
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
103 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2010 :  12:04:09  Show Profile Send frugalcanuck a Private Message
My dump bank was a dump bank for a reason. But last time I dumpped they had silver and old bank notes saved for me. I think Im going to keep dumping there until another one threatens to cut me off.

One box of Nickels

11.65% .999 Ni
Go to Top of Page

BadKarma
Penny Sorter Member

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  06:37:10  Show Profile Send BadKarma a Private Message
Unreal!! To support my 1 or 2 box a week habit, they want $.05 per roll!!!!

It's not so much the charges, it's the fact that they sold them to me for 3 weeks before they decided to have this policy.

So now it comes down to see how much of a pain in the butt I can be. Full time dump? Oh yeah. How many loose rolls can I get before they want to charge me? Can I get $20 in cents and $10 in nickles? Can I play another bank off against this one?

This could be a little fun.

Go to Top of Page

AgCollector
Penny Collector Member

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  08:49:25  Show Profile Send AgCollector a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BadKarma

Unreal!! To support my 1 or 2 box a week habit, they want $.05 per roll!!!!

It's not so much the charges, it's the fact that they sold them to me for 3 weeks before they decided to have this policy.

So now it comes down to see how much of a pain in the butt I can be. Full time dump? Oh yeah. How many loose rolls can I get before they want to charge me? Can I get $20 in cents and $10 in nickles? Can I play another bank off against this one?

This could be a little fun.

Ok, now they're being ridiculous. Are they a big bank or just a small one?
Go to Top of Page

BadKarma
Penny Sorter Member

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  09:21:51  Show Profile Send BadKarma a Private Message
Pretty good sized bank spread out in the SW part of Missouri.

Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  09:37:33  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ardent Listener

quote:

My understanding is that as long as your are depositing coinage they have to take them. As for supply bank, they don't have to supply you but if you let them know you won't dump on them it may be an incentive.

Oh yeah? Try dumping 2300 rolls at once and see what they say.

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

Silverhead

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2010 :  11:39:56  Show Profile Send Silverhead a Private Message
I heard Some banks are charging fees for boxes of coins,this has not happened to me yet.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2