Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 Importing pre 1996 Canada to usa to melt
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

34 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  15:10:18  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
In the usa is illgral to melt down or destoy pre 1982 coppers. Us customs will let you bring 10000 dollars worth money back to usa undeclared in trucks. Canada customs law says you can carry 10000 worth money into there place no problem.

Can an usa citzen go into Canada to there banks and buy up say 10000 dollers or serval truck loads full of pennys from there banks.I want to pull all pre 1996 coppers from Candada and sort them . All 1997 and up will be sent back to candada.

All Pre 96 copper pennys will be destoyed in the usa and sold as scrap metal . There is an Law saying you cant destoy usa money in the usa. Can I destoy Money from Canada in usa since its not usa legral tender. I need to know where I dont go to jail or get an 10000 fine.

I am Unemployed in texas and was thinking driving up there in my truck and maybe rent trailer to carry back an 10000 doller truck load back into usa to be sold scrap metal. You know prices on number 1 or 2 copper at scrap yards. Its expensive.
Thanks

Ridewithme38
Penny Sorter Member

USA
79 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  16:54:59  Show Profile  Send Ridewithme38 an AOL message  Send Ridewithme38 a Yahoo! Message Send Ridewithme38 a Private Message
honestly if i was going that route i'd be going for the canadian nickels instead...10,000 will buy alot of nickels and still be a truck full but atleast you won't need to drag the trailer...and the candian nickels from before some year are .999 bullion grade nickel so easier to melt

RUNNING TOTAL: APROXIMATELY..
6002 Copper
158 wheat
63 canadian
1 Guatemala coin?(1979)and a 250gram .999 pure copper bar(Jetco USA)
Go to Top of Page

Canadian_Nickle
Penny Hoarding Member

Canada
938 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  17:03:41  Show Profile Send Canadian_Nickle a Private Message
I imagine you'd get some funny looks.

HoardCode0.1: M28/5CAON:CA5Ni35000:CA1Cu1200:CA100Ag345:
CA10Ag250:CA50Ag100:CA25Ag30:CA500Ag48:US100Ag20:CA1000Ag16

How to read a HoardCode:
You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

c140cessna
Penny Collector Member

USA
419 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  19:18:17  Show Profile Send c140cessna a Private Message
Most banks in Canada only have a few boxes of pennies or nickles and are pretty stingy about selling them.....sometimes you can get a few boxes if they have extras. It is simply not feasible to get more than 5 - 10 boxes in a single town of say 50,000 population and that will require going to 5 - 10 banks.....it eats up most of a day doing this. It is a nice hobby and you can step it up to a serious hobby if you are a local and live in the town. Even then, you will still need to return 60% of the pennies (a lot higher percentage when going for nickels) to the bank. One last comment - when even 1 or 2 guys start working a set of banks in a town, they can cover it up pretty good and it is not too long before you start getting your own sorted coins back.....I know this first hand.....I'm starting to see sorted boxes all the time....

I still go to Canada when I have business that places me there....otherwise, I concentrate on US pennies.....just wait a while and you'll be able to scrap them here in the US. I added 200 lbs of copper to my hoard this past week.....and plan to keep adding about 100 lbs every week going forward.

My Ryedale machine has processed over 500,000 coins in the past 2 months. This is a must have for anyone that wants to put away serious pounds.

40 year old guy trying to look out for my family. My great country is headed for the dumpster....and worst yet, no one knows/cares it is happening.....
Go to Top of Page

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  20:03:49  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message
This might not work out so well, but here is an idea-
Since you are closer to Mexico than Canada,
And if you can exchange dollars for centavos with a minimum of fuss,

Consider getting 20 centavo coins from a Mexican Bank (the smallest non steel coin available in Mexico is the 20 centavo coin.)

With the exchange rate of one dollar to 11 Mexican Pesos, you will end up with 55 of the 20 centavo coins (a mix of aluminum-bronze. I do not know how much the coins weigh, the 20 centavo looks to be about the size of a US Cent though.)

Again, I do not know if you will profit from this endeavor, but if the Mexican Peso drops, you could buy more of the 20 centavo coins for your dollars, maybe coming out ahead, melt value wise.

I should have chosen "Cut-n-Paste" as a forum name, since that is what I do, mostly.

Edited by - pencilvanian on 04/23/2007 20:05:54
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

59 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  22:50:35  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ridewithme38

and the candian nickels from before some year are .999 bullion grade nickel so easier to melt

Do you mean easier to sell for melt value? They have a much higher melt temperature than Cu.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One of the chief attractions of the life of the wilderness is its rugged and stalwart democracy;
there every man stands for what he actually is, and can show himself to be.

-- Theodore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

34 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  23:13:32  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Thanks for advice on this project I was thinking about. I never thought abought mexico . Mexico the cenvtos is worthless over there and dont they use them. Example an coke is 4 pesos.

Thats not much stock in bank in candada serval boxes per 50000 thousand peaple. I tryed geting an 100 doller fed box worth nickels at my bank. My bank did not have them stock since there comercial stores needed them. I had to ask the bank officer to ordor an extra box from fed reserve . They will have them one week later I hope. I never tryed yet on geting fed boxes on pennys yet from my bank.

Where I live I can get boxes shiped from houston the main bank office that supplys the 50 to 100 other the banks it suplleys with money. My bank ordors once an week from main office that buys direct from fed reserve in dallas texas or houston. I guess I could start saving pre 82 usa pennys by opening up fed boxs as an hobbie. On pulling money the fed rolls and boxes are the best. I can dump the new zinc stuff all over houston texas to get rid off it. I sometimes get lots old 1939 or 1950 nickels to sell on ebay going thru an fed wraped rolls for ebay.

Reason I was asking about north of bordor is I am hobbie coin dealer that sells on ebay that dont make that much money at it. I thought canada was good idea to go up there and buy up serval semi truck load or trailers full to flaten or melt them down once in usa. Its just idea and maybe there banks can help me ordor thousands of dollers worth nickels or pennys . I guess I could set up commercial account in bank in canada and act I own an store over there and start buying up trucks to bring into usa.

Your correct about the funny looks I get when go banks when I ask the bank teller for serval fed boxes full of nickels. They think I am nuts.
Dale

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

34 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2007 :  23:19:22  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Thanks I just added an new singture.

I love those fed boxes and hoard up pre 64 silver coins such as rolls of 64 half dollers. Maybe copper will be very expensive such as silver is.
Go to Top of Page

NiBullionCu
Penny Pincher Member

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  10:25:03  Show Profile Send NiBullionCu a Private Message
According to Wikipedia on the Mexican peso:
The 20 Centavo and 50 Centavo are

Aluminum bronze
92% copper
6% aluminum
2% nickel

the 20¢ is 3.04 g
and the 50¢ is 4.39 g

Note:edited for spelling

Edited by - NiBullionCu on 04/24/2007 14:49:26
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

479 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2007 :  21:51:19  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I edit almost every post here for spelling, grammar and my general tendency to make mistakes.
To do otherwise would be top subject you all to my lack of education.

On April 24th, 2007, Dennis Kucinich submitted articles of Impeachment against Dick Cheney.
I think it is called House Resolution 333.

My response was to immediately send him a monetary contribution.
Actions speak louder than words.

If you agree that someone should Impeach Dick Cheney, then please show the world and future historians that you think so.
Send him whatever makes sense for you.

I'm sure that if you sent him at least $5 they would come out ahead after processing the transaction.
What matters is that we support those who do the right thing.

You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2