Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Copper Penny Bullion Investing
 How do you open your rolls?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  11:11:59  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Poll Question:
As we process more and more pennies in our copper mining adventure it occurs to me that there are many ways to free the little round treasures from their tubular tombs. Maybe somebody out there has a better way to get them out. When surfing the net I did come across the ultimate method.. it is a machine called the RollCracker 3000. It can open 100 rolls per minute.. you just feed them in. The machine weighs 1500 pounds so I don't think I could sneak it into the garage without anyone noticing. Here are the basic ways I have come up with to open rolls.. select your favorite.

"Preserving coinage.. 2 tons at a time"

HoardCode0.1:M48/14USCA:US1Cu639700:US5Ni2400:CA5Ni46

Choices:

Peeler
Whacker
Snapper
End Opener
Slicer
Twister
Machine assisted
Waiting for development of the Ryedale Roll Breaker

n/a
deleted

132 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  11:27:40  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Flathead screwdriver is my tool for freedom.
Big One
About 11"-12" long
1 Whack is all it takes.

"To the uninformed, pocket change.
To the informed, an investment."
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  11:51:35  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pre-82

Flathead screwdriver is my tool for freedom.
Big One
About 11"-12" long
1 Whack is all it takes.

I always wondered what that big assed scewdriver they included in the set was for.. now I know.

Go to Top of Page

Ryedale
Administrator

USA
523 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  14:05:35  Show Profile Send Ryedale a Private Message
I learned the neatest trick for paper machine wrapped rolls. A picture or movie is worth a thousand words, but I will try to describe.
I had a service call done on my commercial wrapper, when the coin hooks that make the end crimps wore out. The service tech came by, and I gleaned this industry trick from him. This also works on shotgun wrapped rolls with one "roll crimp" end. You take a small pocket knife, with a 1/4 inch height blade by about 1.5 to 2 inch long. This is one like a small swiss army style pocket knife. You can get a cheap import model for much less. You hold the roll (if your right handed) with your left hand, knife in right. working from the exposed coin on the end of the roll, push the knife carefully out and under the tight paper ring, pull now and then pull the whole ring of paper off, leave it on the blade of the knife, then flip the roll, and repeat on the other end. Do this over a bucket or pan, and then the paper is completly free, and the coins pour out of the paper. No more pushing coins out from the tight paper ends. You can leave the rings on your knife blade for 2 to 3 rolls, till it's uncomfortable leaving it on the knife. The shotgun style customer wrapped rolls, you only need "shuck" the ring on one end and they are usually loose enough to pour out. Think of it as peeling potatoes, sit on a chair or step, shuck a bunch, and sort away. I think a roll every 3 seconds is feasable, without doing any empirical testing. Give it a try.
Now on to Brinks style plastic wrapped rolls (coin condoms). I have found a seam ripper (found in fabric store, used by seamstresses) to be able to pierce the plastic. Hold again in the left hand, pierce the plastic gently, then push away slowly and you can easily free the coins from the sleeve. Just stay focused or wear a leather glove on your "holding the roll" hand, so you dont pierce your fingers with the point. Remember all the coin germs you would quickly inject directly into your body, if you stab yourself.
Plastic takes longer than paper wrapped rolls. Have fun

Ryedale

Hoard Copper Pennies,
The market will develop
Go to Top of Page

c140cessna
Penny Collector Member

USA
419 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  19:40:41  Show Profile Send c140cessna a Private Message
I use the small knife trick as described by Ryedale on the shotgun and commercial paper rolls.....it works great....after I stick the knife in under the end ring, I do give it a bit of a cutting turn around the end of the roll and then give it a pull to tear the ring off....call it a 25% cut and 75% tear.

On the Brinks plastic condoms - I wear a leather glove to hold the roll and cut down the edge with a utility knife. I can then give the roll a bend in the middle and shake out the coins.

On the customer Flat Rolls, I just bang them on the lip of my 5 gallon bucket.....like breaking open eggs.

I do all this while sitting on the steps in my garage....I work over a 5 gal bucket and have a second bucket for the wrapper scrap. I recycle both wrapper materials. By sitting on the step, I can empty an entire coin box between my legs, one step down from the one I'm sitting on.....makes it easy to pick up rolls to be opened.

If I'm organized, I can just keep up with my Rydale 300.....about 6 rolls per minute....including feeding the machine and keeping the area cleaned up.

Edited by - c140cessna on 04/15/2007 19:54:21
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  11:12:50  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
Thanks for the tips, guys! I knew there was some expertise out there. Damn, I only have BIG knives!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.18 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2