Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 NF and String Box
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

G Powerbuck
Penny Collector Member

USA
256 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  18:35:54  Show Profile Send G Powerbuck a Private Message
I just got an odd nickel box from the bank. The first thing with it that I noticed while still in the bank was one of the rolls was barely half full. I checked through the little holes and one roll was half full. The other side was twisted shut. I showed the teller, and they opened the box and gave me a full roll in exchange for the shorted roll. Then while searching the nickels I found a penny(1995 so it wasn't even copper). On a positive note I did find $.05 Euro cent worth $0.064 US dollars. However, I am surprised to see the penny, and the severely shorted roll. I have never seen this before. Have any of you??

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2009 :  19:45:55  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
I've had a roll about 1/3 short before. Rare (for me), but it happens.

Go to Top of Page

knibloe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1066 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  08:13:26  Show Profile Send knibloe a Private Message
I've gotten a lot of short half dollar rolls lately. Lowest was 16 halves instead of 20
Go to Top of Page

tadpole
Penny Sorter Member

63 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  10:12:01  Show Profile Send tadpole a Private Message
Short rolls and rolls with other denomination coins is not that unusual. These are rolled by automatic machines and sometimes they make mistakes that are not caught. In these operations one person runs at least three rolling machines at once and the coin is boxed by an automatic boxer. If there is foreign or another smaller denomination coin in the mix, such as dime in with the pennies, it sometimes is not rejected and gets put in the roll. These machines put out anywhere from 20 rolls per minute to the Brinks machine, plastic wraps, coin in a condom, does about 100 rolls per minute.
Go to Top of Page

Tourney64
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1035 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2009 :  14:38:15  Show Profile Send Tourney64 a Private Message
I got a half short NF & String nickel roll also in one of my boxes too. I showed it to my wife and she decieded to open it to count how many short it was. She did this before I could stop her. I don't sort that many nickels, but it is something to be aware of as a way for these companies to make money any way they can.
Go to Top of Page

Pennyworth
Penny Sorter Member

USA
83 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  04:36:48  Show Profile Send Pennyworth a Private Message
I found a cent in one of my nickel rolls from the Brinks box I searched tonight. That's the first time I found one mixed in with nickels. I have found several dimes mixed in with cents before but they are pretty close in size so I can see how the machine might not catch it.
Go to Top of Page

Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1112 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  22:20:41  Show Profile Send Computer Jones a Private Message
I find the quality of N.F. String & Sons boxes to be of higher quality (and better finds) in my neck of the woods (North Olympic Peninsula, WA State) than Brinks boxes.
I buy from NF String Banks and dump at Brinks banks.

There's profit if you melt things!!
8{>
Go to Top of Page

CoinHunter53562
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1805 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2009 :  00:04:36  Show Profile Send CoinHunter53562 a Private Message
My last box of halves was short by 3 halves, as well as having 2 or 3 quarters, and 2 pennies in place of halves. So it was short a few bucks...not too big of a deal since I dont sort these too often. If I did it on a larger scale though, I wouldnt be too happy as that would add up quickly.

My hobby: collecting real money 1 copper cent or nickel at a time.

Go to Top of Page

vrbsroma
Penny Collector Member

394 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  09:55:08  Show Profile Send vrbsroma a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Computer Jones

I find the quality of N.F. String & Sons boxes to be of higher quality (and better finds) in my neck of the woods (North Olympic Peninsula, WA State) than Brinks boxes.

How do you know which banks use Brinks and which use other armored car services? Do you just ask?

As far as I know, it is stated "In God We Trust" on the US dollar. How can I trust this currency if I do not believe in God?

Possession is nine-tenths of the law.

When I give my two cents, they're always copper!
Go to Top of Page

Country
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3121 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  10:55:18  Show Profile Send Country a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by vrbsroma

quote:
Originally posted by Computer Jones

How do you know which banks use Brinks and which use other armored car services? Do you just ask?

I think you can ask. However, eventually you will see the armored service parked out front of the bank. Also, if you bring your coins to a coin counting machine inside the bank, many times you can offer to help the teller carry the coins. On the floor will be other plastic bags that have been filled. These bags will be marked on the last line, "TO: Dunbar" or "TO: Brinks", etc.

---> Come to the new and improved realcent: http://realcent.org

The things that will destroy America are prosperity-at-any-price, peace-at-any-price, safety-first instead of duty-first, the love of soft living, and the get-rich-quick theory of life.
– Theodore Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2