Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 A Nickels Short Per Roll??
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bart
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
120 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  18:51:38  Show Profile Send Bart a Private Message

Hi Everyone -

I just started sorting nickels this week after reading all the posts in this section. I sorted 2 batches of $5.00 nickels - 20 rolls. The clear plastic rolls that came from the RBC - the wifes bank - were short a nickel in each of the 8 rolls! The 2 paper ones had a dime in one of them & only 39 nickels. Only one roll was right with 40 nickels in the $2.00 roll!!

Anybody else having problems like this? I know that I will be checking the clear rolls a lot closer before I leave the bank with the next batch!!

All the rolls from the TD were correct - thats my bank.

All my rolls hand at least 1 US nickel in them most of them fairly current except for a pretty worn 1940 Jefferson - stairs? What stairs??

I was trying to figure out if it was worth sorting the high nickel & or the cupro-nickels.

Regards, Bart

Nice. Yes. Very nice.

jin.coy
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
128 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  20:16:55  Show Profile Send jin.coy a Private Message
Hi Bart,

Welcome and enjoy your new hobby.

I also get shorted with the plastic clam-like wrappers.

Sometimes in the paper rolls I got a dime, silver dime or a penny, 1/2/5 eurocents;
the best that I got was an extra roll(I asked for 10 rolls and I got 11), other time I got rolls with 42 coins, the worst was a 35 coins.

I consider this as part of the game, sometimes you lose sometimes you win

Edited by - jin.coy on 03/10/2009 20:17:30
Go to Top of Page

1945V
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
153 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  10:38:02  Show Profile Send 1945V a Private Message
I don't think most people deliberately short the rolls by 1 dime or 1 nickel. I have had the ends on many transparent plastic rolls break off when you force in the 40th nickel or 50th dime. It is a very bad design based on thin coins (like silver which wears down much more than nickel). I just return them way I get them.

Edited by - 1945V on 03/11/2009 10:59:13
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2009 :  15:28:13  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Sometime you end up a little short. Other times you get extra (usually in shotgun rolls). We are talking small money here - can't buy anything for a nickel - so I'm not too worried. I've likely also returned the odd roll short a coin by accident.

If you look at the US nickels you will see they are thicker then Canadian ones. Stack up twenty or forty of each country and the differance amounts to several coins. That is part of the reason for short plastic clam shell Canadian rolls. One US nickel in the roll may take up enough room that the last Canadian nickel does not fit comfortably. On the flip side I've seen US clam shell rolls full if Canadian nickels - that gives you a couple extra coins.

Finding dimes in the nickels and pennies help make up for the shortages too. Keep a jar for your dime finds in the pennies and nickels - they should add up to $5 rolls pretty quick.

Happy hunting :)

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

1945V
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
153 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  07:32:21  Show Profile Send 1945V a Private Message
This is simple reason for this coin short problem.

Pre-1982 Cdn nickels are 1.70 mm thick
Post-1981 Cdn nickels are 1.76 mm thick
That extra 0.06 mm becomes 2.4 mm after 40 nickels are stacked or takes the room away from 1.5 nickels.

This explains why some plastic holders are always short one nickel, because there is not enough room. They were designed for older nickels.

It gets worse if any US nickels are present, they are 1.95 mm thick.

This is why I prefer the cardboard tube holders with the fold-in end.
They acoomodate all sizes.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2