Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Related Topics, Learning and Information
 Guides/Articles/Blogs Written By Realcent Members
 Tutorial: Posting Photos
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

natsb88
Administrator

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2008 :  14:37:13  Show Profile Send natsb88 a Private Message
This question has come up several times, so I thought it would be good to put together a little tutorial. If this turns out to be helpful, maybe a moderator can make it sticky.

"How do I include a photo in my post?"

Let's break this into two parts.

1. Getting a picture from your computer to the internet.

If the photo is already on a website or a photo host, you can skip this part and go directly to part 2.

If the photo is on your computer but it does not 'live' anywhere on the internet yet, you have find some place in cyberspace to store it. The easiest way to do this is to use a free photo hosting website. Here are several:

Flickr - You must be logged in to see this link.
ImageShack - You must be logged in to see this link.
Photobucket - You must be logged in to see this link.

Typically they require you to sign up for an account using your email address, but they all have instructions and guides on how to upload photos, so I won't go into those details in this thread.

2. Adding a photo to your post.

Find the photo you wish to use. Whether it be one you uploaded to one of the free photo hosts listed above, or a photo on another website, the procedure is basically the same.

You need to obtain the address of the photo. This tells you, and more importantly the forum software, exactly where on the internet the photo is stored. Some of the photo hosts will display the photo address for you, but I'm going to show you how to find the address manually, since that will work on any website.

If you are using FireFox as your web browser, finding the address is simple. Just right click on the photo, and select "Copy Image Location"

If you are using Internet Explorer, right click the photo and select "Properties"

A Properties window will pop up. Highlight the address, right click, and select "Copy"

Now go back to the thread where you wish to post a photo. Click the "Reply to Topic" link after the last post in the thread.

Point your cursor to the part of your post where you want the photo to show up. Right click and select "paste" to insert the photo address.

Highlight the address you just pasted, then click the "Insert Image" button at the top of the form.

Your reply should now look like this, with the image address between image tags:

Click on "Preview" and a window will pop up so you can make sure the photo is displayed properly.

If you like what you see, close the preview window and click "Post New Reply" to add your post to the thread.

Always keep copyrights in mind when you post photos. If it's a photo you took yourself, it's not an issue, but if it's a photo from another website, make sure to give credit to the website or photographer. Some websites also prohibit hotlinking of photos (the term for what we just did) because it eats up bandwidth.

Nate
The Copper Cave

Edited by - natsb88 on 11/29/2008 14:38:15

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2008 :  15:04:50  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Great page! Sure to help many. I say make it a sticky.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

Bluegill
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2008 :  15:10:10  Show Profile Send Bluegill a Private Message
Nice Job.

Go to Top of Page

Bluegill
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2008 :  15:15:35  Show Profile Send Bluegill a Private Message
One thing to add. With photobucket, when you hover over your image a menu will drop down that has 4 link options. The bottom one labeled IMG Code is the one you want. Just copy and paste and you can skip having to click the "insert image button", the image tags will already be there in the link you pasted...

Go to Top of Page

moboman
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2555 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2008 :  23:27:01  Show Profile Send moboman a Private Message
thanks nate, consider it stolen

"99% of all lawyers give the rest of them a bad name"

Go to Top of Page

Tourney64
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1035 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  12:52:43  Show Profile Send Tourney64 a Private Message
What about Youtube videos? I paste the embeded links they provide and it doesn't work.
Go to Top of Page

natsb88
Administrator

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  13:29:50  Show Profile Send natsb88 a Private Message
If you click the "Reply to Topic" link, there is a button for a YouTube video at the top. Just click that, then paste the link of the YouTube page from the top of the browser (not the embed link YouTube provides) between the tags.

(I will add a screen shot of this later)

Nate
The Copper Cave

Go to Top of Page

Tourney64
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1035 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2009 :  13:36:06  Show Profile Send Tourney64 a Private Message
Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

psi
Penny Collector Member

Canada
399 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2010 :  19:22:02  Show Profile Send psi a Private Message
Not long ago I came across a photo hosting site that doesn't require an account, you just go to the site and you're on the upload page. The address is tinypic.com.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2