Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Bought me a $200 bag of nickels today
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

669 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  18:38:48  Show Profile Send JerrySpringer a Private Message
The wife and I went on a bank/silver coin run today. All of a sudden she listens to Alex Jones on the radio last night and now she wants to get silver. I have been trying to convince her that metal coins have some value over paper money. Anyway, she bought four junk silver quarters for $11 and a 2008 silver dollar for $13 at a local coin and gold jewelry shop. I bought at a local bank branch a $200 bag of nickels . I can already see many pre-82 Canadian nickels in the bag without opening it, including a 1945 one looking right at me. This will be an interesting night of sorting.

DesertTumbleweed402
Penny Pincher Member

USA
196 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  18:50:51  Show Profile Send DesertTumbleweed402 a Private Message
Happy sorting!!

I enjoy taking long walks off short piers.
Go to Top of Page

Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1112 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  21:02:04  Show Profile Send Computer Jones a Private Message
It always gives me a nice feeling when I can help somebody over to the "metal" side.
Must make it extra special when it's your Wife.
I usually get the rolling of the eyes and, "You're going to stop at another bank!?!", when I'm accompanied on my drive by's.
I think she might just believe me when I tell her the Grandchildren will be glad that I've been infected by such a problem.

PS - I've made sure she is aware to NEVER dump my stash at face if she needs to clean up "all those coins you've got laying around" should I succumb in the near future. (As if the 1/2 gallons of plastic milk jugs take up too much space in the attic, garage, closets, back of the pantry or under the bed!)

There's profit if you melt things!!
8{>
Go to Top of Page

JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

669 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  22:01:30  Show Profile Send JerrySpringer a Private Message
A quick sort has yielded 99 (!!) pre-1982 Canadian nickels. Not 100, but 99, lol. I found an additional 21 post '81 Canadian nickels. Grand total of 120 Canadian or 3% of the bag's coins.
Finds included:

1 1943 US war nickel
1 1933 Canadian
1 1941 "
1 1945 "
1 1952 "
1 1953 "

The rest of pre-82 Canadian nickels were 1960's and 1970's. I am wondering if the bag was from an I-95 toll booth drop-off. I get numerous Canadians driving down here. Nothing else to report from the bag that was unusual. I did honestly expect more war nickels but the older Canadian nickels will make a nice addition to my collection. Also, I have now found a bank branch that gets in bags of coins that they sort. They said they had a sorter there. The teller was nice enough to call my closer branch to see if they had a sorting machine, which they did not. I can call ahead they said to see if they get in bags of coins,etc. The bank branch is near the coin store too. The wife and I can pick up some silver coins and a few bags of coins at the same time together now.
Go to Top of Page

HoardCopperByTheTon
Administrator

USA
6807 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2008 :  23:04:13  Show Profile Send HoardCopperByTheTon a Private Message
"More pennies?" "Don't you have enough pennies already?"

Sounds like another wild night at the Springer Pad.. congratulations!

If your percentages are low.. just sort more. If your percentages are high.. just sort more.

Now selling Copper pennies. 1.6x plus shipping. Limited amounts available.
Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  02:41:18  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Wow Jerry - I sort lots of Canadian Nickels - plus I bought a bunch of George V's - and I still don't own a 1933. It's a key date worth min 40 cents in G-4 $6 in VF-20 $30 in EF-40 up to $1000 in MS-63. The others listed are pretty nice finds too.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  17:24:33  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
Go Jerry, Go!

Go to Top of Page

knibloe
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1066 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  20:52:17  Show Profile Send knibloe a Private Message
I sorted two bags and only came up with one war nickel and a couple of pre 82 canadians. Great finds good luck with the next batch.
Go to Top of Page

JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

669 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2008 :  23:53:01  Show Profile Send JerrySpringer a Private Message
Bought $200 of CWR dimes today. Found a 1957 and 1961 dime. Very easy to sort those suckers. I will need to call around to another bank next week and see if I can pick up another boatload. It seems crazy to spend so much money and effort to do this stuff sometimes, but I kinda enjoy it and it is cool to think you are on a type of scavenger hunt.
Go to Top of Page

JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

669 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2008 :  13:30:51  Show Profile Send JerrySpringer a Private Message
Did a coin dump and pick-up this morning. Bought a $200 bag of nickels. Can not resist them when the bank is next door to my dump bank and besides they have no problems selling me bags of coins. I pulled 22 pre-1982 Canadians out of this bag including a 1959 and one of those 1967 rabbit nickels. Perhaps summer time yields higher older Canadians? I got 22 pre-82 ones this time versus the 100 I obtained 2 months ago. Found two war nickels too this am. A 1945 P and 1945 S.
Go to Top of Page

PreservingThePast
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1572 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  12:10:21  Show Profile Send PreservingThePast a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by JerrySpringer

The wife and I went on a bank/silver coin run today. All of a sudden she listens to Alex Jones on the radio last night and now she wants to get silver. I have been trying to convince her that metal coins have some value over paper money. Anyway, she bought four junk silver quarters for $11 and a 2008 silver dollar for $13 at a local coin and gold jewelry shop. I bought at a local bank branch a $200 bag of nickels . I can already see many pre-82 Canadian nickels in the bag without opening it, including a 1945 one looking right at me. This will be an interesting night of sorting.

Very nice! Hope you continue to find such interesting coins.

Enjoy!
Go to Top of Page

JerrySpringer
Penny Hoarding Member

669 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2008 :  12:36:35  Show Profile Send JerrySpringer a Private Message
Thanks for the encouragement. I am sighing with winter upon us and less light, cold weather, less tourist coin influx, etc. After December 21st, things will get better, lol.

Is it me, or does this whole coin search thing answer the need to play some kind of lottery? I see getting coins as at worst a drain on my time but I do not really lose money like I would playing the lottery. I guess that is why what we do is sometimes goofed upon. In many people's minds it is unusual to not want to play the lottery given the reward/risk ratio.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2