Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 Ways to identify silver besides hallmarks
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  18:09:20  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I like to go poke around antique stores, garage sales and such, and would like a way to identify silver things besides the hallmarks. I've got a magnet, but a lot of stainless is also non-magnetic. I don't think I'd get a very good reaction if i started scratching merchandise and dripping nitric acid on it either. It occured to me that conductivity might work. Multimeters are only 10 or 20 bucks. Although I think I might have to factor in the dimensions of what I was testing...anyone heard of/done anything like that?

fb101
Administrator

USA
2856 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  18:54:11  Show Profile Send fb101 a Private Message
I have a familiarity with multimeters. Silver is a better conductor than all base metals, inclufing copper, so the resistance will be lower (ohms _()_ ).. But you'll never be able to tell the difference between silver and plate, and I do not know how the Silver sulfate will conduct if tarnished.

Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

2 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2008 :  19:43:27  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Word. I was wondering about plate.
Go to Top of Page

magnasort
Penny Pincher Member

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2008 :  20:30:38  Show Profile Send magnasort a Private Message
IMHO only buy stuff that is marked sterling. Ive bought hundreds of oz marked as such, when you get into iffy stuff the result is not worth your time. Buy only marked stuff. The stuff from Rogers etc silverplate makes nice windchimes but not dollars.

Magnetic sorters, no moving parts except the coins
Go to Top of Page

Robarons
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  20:33:03  Show Profile Send Robarons a Private Message
I agree with PennyWhoreDer. There have been times when I bought things that I thought were silver and got burned everytime. Most things will silver plate or nickel/German/alaska/etc. silver which is just nickel. I figure if any jeweler/silversmith worth their salt that is going to spend their time and money to make sterling things that they will infact mark them sterling it in some way.

Light, thin things are a good bet and using .925, Sterling, lion british, etc. markings are the best way to go.Just be sure to scan the whole piece because sometimes they hide markings that cant be found easily!

Robber Baron= Robarons
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2