Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 Gold Rush
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  19:23:21  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Hey everyone, just been surfing ebay. Anyone ever think of mining for gold? I see some mining claims for sale? Anyone ever mine for gold? I would like to do that just for fun.

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 11/21/2006 :  19:37:41  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message
It seems you have been bitten by the gold bug, which often leads to gold fever.
I have not had the time or money to look into gold hunting, either by mining or panning for it, though I have not completely given up looking.

I have heard that those who search for gold in the desert states use a metal detector for finding nuggets. That could be a possibility too.
Perhaps a gold hunting section could be set up for those who are willing to go searching for the precious metal.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

9 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  03:10:41  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I live in Southern California ... just east of Los Angeles. People still pan for gold every weekend along the banks of the San Gabriel River in the San Gabriel Mountains northeast of Los Angeles. Most of what people get could be classified as gold dust but there is the occasional small nugget. Some use a simple pan while others use elaborate equipment like a sluice box. If you have gold fever you can get up and going very inexpensively.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

479 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2006 :  10:29:00  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I live in Northern California. People still pan for gold here, too. I met a guy who grew up in Placeville, CA. His father and grandfather and great grand father were all at least part time gold miners. He grew up talking about panning around the dinner table. He says that over the course of a summer he can average $20 an hour. He also said that if you had not grow up with it and had access to the culture he has access to you would be very lucky to make $10 hour.

I still want to try it. A friend of mine just moved to Grass Valley, CA and he is interested in it. Next spring, I will very likely be up there panning with him. I don't expect to make more than $10 hour, but I expect to have fun.

A billiard ball dropped from 1,362 feet (height of the South Tower) in a
vacuum would require 9.22 seconds to hit the ground. How then did the
towers collapse in 10 seconds and 11.4 seconds, and why has not one
member of the mainstream media insisted on honest answers from the
government in this regard?

"The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy
so monstrous [that] he cannot believe it exists."
- J. Edgar Hoover
Go to Top of Page

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  20:30:05  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message
Deciding to have fun is the best mindset while looking for gold or any other valuable.
Many make the mistake and get too serious in their searching, and then get discouraged when nothing 'pans out'.
A question Bionic85, I have heard that there is gold to be found in practically every state in the union, maybe there is some gold waiting for you to find it in your home state. If you were to mention the state or a state bordering you, I would only be happy to pass on any gold leads I might know of.
Of course, I don't want to come off as nosey, just want to assist you in your gold hunting endeavors, nothing else.

Edited by - pencilvanian on 11/30/2006 20:32:04
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

479 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  22:21:00  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
So- should most people be out there looking for gold? I don't think so. If you live in an area like Placerville, CA where very rich deposits were exploited 150 years ago, you can probably make $20 an hour after you get good at it.
If you make less than $20 an hour, that may sound good, but do your homework!

I personally think that Silver is the poor man's gold and copper is the poorer man's silver. That's why I joined this forum.

There's COPPER in them thar change jars!!!

- J. Edgar Hoover
Go to Top of Page

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  22:55:29  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message
No ill will was intended Atheist, towards any one willing to look for gold or not.

I had merely suggested that if you want to try looking for gold, just for fun and a little adventure, it might be best to try your hand at looking for gold in your own backyard, so to speak.

A trip to a state with well known gold deposits like California or Alaska might be a strain on the budget for some.
Perhpas the search for gold might not be all that fun when you run into a few obstacles(bug bites, lugging equipment around, squatting along a stream panning , etc).
I had only hoped to encourage the search for gold, as a fun pursuit, in one's own state, nothing more.

Edited by - pencilvanian on 11/30/2006 23:04:12
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

479 Posts

Posted - 11/30/2006 :  23:31:45  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Penn:

I think I know you well enough now to assume that you do NOT have malice in your heart.
You are a lot like me, worried, and cautious. You are polite and considerate. So don't worry about ill will.

I was pointing out that COPPER, the reason that this forum exists is more readily available than we assume.

Peace to you all

- J. Edgar Hoover
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

14 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  11:23:55  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Hey Pen thangs for the comment. I live in Mass. You are right about being costly to travel to cali. I would love search for gold as a hobby.
Go to Top of Page

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  16:23:33  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message
I did some checking from a few sources, and while I didn’t find any mention of gold nuggets being found in Massachusetts, I did find a story of gold being panned in Vermont.

Lost Treasure Magazine
April 1980

Page 60-62
The Mystery of Vermont’s Gold Brook

The basic facts of the story:
Stowe, VT, a prosperous town, is near a brook called Gold Brook near Mt. Mansfield.
Before the Civil War, a trapper used to leave a few gold nuggets with the local general store owner.
The trapper died taking his secret of the gold to his grave.
In 1859 an Abial Slayton found gold in the stream and discreetly bought up the land around the mountain and, while mostly keeping to himself, seemed to be well off financially. He once told a reporter that his wealth came from the gold he had found.

Small amounts of gold have been found in Gold Brook by the time this story was written (1980), and many believe that the nuggets are washed down from Mt Mansfield.

This is a good lead, based not on legend but on historical fact, but just remember, it is expensive to live in the well-to-do town of Stowe VT, so see if you can get a hotel room nearby and try your luck in gold hunting.
With winter coming on, it might be a good idea to wait for spring before doing any hunting.
I will see if there are any other gold sites up in or near Massachusetts.
Go to Top of Page

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  16:57:20  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message

You must be logged in to see this link.

Franklin County: Look for streams with fairly good flow Gold has been found in near Bernardston in Couch and Keets Brooks. Near Charlemont, it’s been found in Maxwell Brook.
Hampden County: Near Blandford, check out the Gold Mine Brook.

Gold has been discovered in Massachusetts in the western part of the state.
Go to Top of Page

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2006 :  17:31:50  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message
If you decide to take a trip to New Hampshire, Here is the place to go

You must be logged in to see this link.

Just keep in mind that in the east the gold you find are the "poor relations" compared to the west, California and Alaska. I suppose that for every nugget found in the east you could find four or five in the west. Do this for fun, not for profit, and you will get the most out of your gold hunting.

Edited by - pencilvanian on 12/02/2006 15:24:11
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2