Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Scrap Metal Salvage
 ID Req'd to sell scrap
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Canadian_Nickle
Penny Hoarding Member

Canada
938 Posts

Posted - 11/14/2006 :  21:25:19  Show Profile Send Canadian_Nickle a Private Message
Have any of you had to show ID to sell scrap yet?

"The bill would force dealers to record dates and times of transactions. In addition, dealers would have to photograph the seller and obtain a name, address and social security number. Finally, owners would be forced to take a right thumb print of the buyer and all payments must be made by check."

You must be logged in to see this link.

That could make it hard to sell hoarded coins if the government issued a seizure order like with the gold.

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 11/15/2006 :  18:03:16  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message
My dad used to give a phony name and address when he cashed in aluminum cans. He didn't want anyone to know he as recycling.

I guess if push comes to shove, phony drivers licenses sellers will be doing a booming business for copper thieves.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

479 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  16:03:13  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Scrap is scrap and money is money, or is it?

When I sold scrap from my last round of copper slug manufacturing, I had to show ID. It didn't bother ma beacuse I was in the mindset of commodity. If I were in the mindset of money though, it would really bother me.

I feel hypocritical making such a distinction.

A billiard ball dropped from 1,362 feet (height of the South Tower) in a
vacuum would require 9.22 seconds to hit the ground. How then did the
towers collapse in 10 seconds and 11.4 seconds, and why has not one
member of the mainstream media insisted on honest answers from the
government in this regard?

"The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy
so monstrous [that] he cannot believe it exists."
- J. Edgar Hoover
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 11/16/2006 :  16:56:43  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
When I was selling of my brother's music CD and books to a use book store up in Cleveland they asked me for I.D. I would guess those who don't ask for it don't pay so well and are willing to take the chance it's hot.

n/a
deleted

73 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  21:56:09  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
I don't mind showing ID but giving the scrap dealer my Social Security Number? No way! Isn't the government doing the exact opposite with the Social Security Number, telling businesses to stop asking for it or using it as an account identifier? I thought the SSN was for the government to use only. Don't think I want to trust the scrap dealer to carefully guard my SSN.
Go to Top of Page

Metalophile
Penny Collector Member

USA
320 Posts

Posted - 11/18/2006 :  23:39:11  Show Profile Send Metalophile a Private Message
Agreed, if anyone asks for my SSN, I'd keep my scrap and walk away. Too much ID theft going on these days.

Metalophile
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

479 Posts

Posted - 11/19/2006 :  17:53:38  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
Just wait for realID. It happened on Republican watch. It could have easily happened during a Democratic time.
Both parties are whores, in my opinion.

But RealID really did pass during a Republic Congress with the usual objections from the opposition.

RealID is a BIG F***ing DEAL!!!!!!!!!
no joke!

You must be logged in to see this link.

Read it and weep!

A billiard ball dropped from 1,362 feet (height of the South Tower) in a
vacuum would require 9.22 seconds to hit the ground. How then did the
towers collapse in 10 seconds and 11.4 seconds, and why has not one
member of the mainstream media insisted on honest answers from the
government in this regard?

"The individual is handicapped by coming face to face with a conspiracy
so monstrous [that] he cannot believe it exists."
- J. Edgar Hoover
Go to Top of Page

just carl
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
601 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2006 :  12:49:31  Show Profile Send just carl a Private Message
Maybe good and maybe bad about living in the Chicago area. Not many places require an ID for scrap anything. Many of the people that bring in scrap metals to a recycler can't speak English, have no ID, don't know what ID means, will vanish back to somewhere soon and the recyclers don't ask.

Carl
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

11 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  18:29:39  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message

My job has the luxury of a lot of salvage metal rewards, stainless, lead, copper, alluminum, and brass, and scrap iron. A lot of time and work goes into salvaging these metals, but the pay out recently has made it worth my time. I have not had to show ID, and until recently they never even knew my name, and that was because they had to give me a check instead of cash, as they had a busy day. I guess that time is coming too when they will request more info from me.
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

103 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2006 :  20:23:34  Show Profile Send n/a a Private Message
What they really want is your social security (tax) number.

The above post is intended for entertainment purposes only and in no way reflect the opinions of the flesh and blood person writing the text. All writings under the screen name "copperhead" are merely a characterization of the personna created.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2