Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 Is there a real physical shortage of silver?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Copper Catcher
Administrator

USA
2092 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  11:22:37  Show Profile Send Copper Catcher a Private Message
Like many of you on the board I'm keeping a close eye out on the spot price of silver and buying some when I can. As most of you know, many of the companies that produced this bullion bars and coins, like Engelhard, are no longer making them but you still see them on eBay and they do not appear to be rare as some might claim. So, they have being traded back and forth forever, flowing in and out of the market.

My question: Is there really a shortage of the physical metal silver or not?

If there is indeed a shortage where is it going? Silver itself is not being used in higher amount in production of anything is it? Are the investors/speculators/ folks hording like us really causing the market to dry up or is this just a blip on the screen?

Does it make sense that with silver in the $13.30 an ounce range you not being able to touch a ounce on eBay without pay $15 plus postage or more?

Finally how much over spot would you be willing to pay to get silver bullion and feel happy about it, just curious to know what you think!

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  11:52:00  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
No shortage around me and there never has been. My guy seems to always have silver and gold in nice amounts. If silver hits $10 then who knows....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

Copper Catcher
Administrator

USA
2092 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  18:25:20  Show Profile Send Copper Catcher a Private Message
NotABigDeal does the dealer you buy from have 1oz and 10oz brand bars silver bars i.e. Engelhard, Silver Town, A-Mark etc. and if so, what is he selling them for over spot? The best price I can find is .25 over spot plus shipping. Can he meet or beat that?

Edited by - Copper Catcher on 08/23/2008 18:27:10
Go to Top of Page

natsb88
Administrator

USA
1850 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  18:42:33  Show Profile Send natsb88 a Private Message
The only local dealer I am aware of never has much silver. I stopped two or three times earlier in the year. Bought a total of two ounces...one 2008 ASE and one generic.

Nate
The Copper Cave

Go to Top of Page

Ant
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  20:17:58  Show Profile Send Ant a Private Message
I don't think there's a real physical shortage. Now, if everyone who has "paper" silver decided to take delivery, there would be some scrambling, but there's plenty for the market as it is now. People like us aren't even a blip on the radar.

If local dealers are short, it's likely because they have (1)sold their silver to a larger dealer "upstream" or (2)aren't really out of silver, they just choose not to sell at these lower prices, which may well be lower than what they bought at.

Lovely dimes, the liveliest coin, the one that really jingles. --Truman Capote

Coins are the metallic footprints of the history of nations. --William H. Woodin
Go to Top of Page

Ardent Listener
Administrator

USA
4841 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  20:24:41  Show Profile Send Ardent Listener a Private Message
If my local dealers don't have silver items in stock such as 100 ounce bars, they can order it and have it to me within a week.

Realcent.forumco.com disclosure. Please read.
All posts either by the members, moderators, and the administration of http://realcent.forumco.com are for your edification and amusement only. It is not the intent of realcent.forumco.com or its host to provide investment, medical, matrimonial, legal, security or tax advice and nothing posted here should be considered to be so. All rights reserved.

Think positive.
Go to Top of Page

Copper Catcher
Administrator

USA
2092 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  20:50:14  Show Profile Send Copper Catcher a Private Message
Ardent...I know the 100oz silver bar is consider the "investor's bar" but if the price of silver gets as high as it once did I'd be worried about the crooks out going back to drilling out the center and inserting lead like had been done once before. For that reason I don't want to buy a bar like that. However I will break my own rule and buy a Kilo Bar like the Engelhard, Swiss, Argor, or JM bar as long as it is close to spot. They are just sweet looking bars to me and hard to come by!

Again, can anyone beat .25 over spot on the price???

Edited by - Copper Catcher on 08/23/2008 21:02:27
Go to Top of Page

Copper Catcher
Administrator

USA
2092 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  21:00:57  Show Profile Send Copper Catcher a Private Message

Ant, your comment: "Now, if everyone who has "paper" silver decided to take delivery, there would be some scrambling, but there's plenty for the market as it is now." I might be wrong but the way I under stand it all the people who have futures contracts are all given the option without any penalty to pay by cash versus actually having to come up with the physical silver itself.
Go to Top of Page

Ant
Penny Hoarding Member

USA
894 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  22:07:49  Show Profile Send Ant a Private Message
I've never been sure if administrators can pay out the value of the silver to investors at their discretion, or if they can only do it if there is not enough silver available to meet demand. Either way, can you imagine if you had invested thinking that you'd be able to get your physical silver when you asked for it, and getting a check instead?

Lovely dimes, the liveliest coin, the one that really jingles. --Truman Capote

Coins are the metallic footprints of the history of nations. --William H. Woodin
Go to Top of Page

Computer Jones
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1112 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  22:31:52  Show Profile Send Computer Jones a Private Message
The "spot" price of silver is being manipulated away from the "what I can buy it for in my home town" price.
Ted Butler gives a good explanation here:
You must be logged in to see this link.
I can buy all the bars and rounds I want (well I guess I mean have FRN's available to plunk down) in 1 and 10 ounce form, but the lowest price that they can be had is $15.00 in my neck of the woods.
It don't matter what "spot' is, the premium seems to adjust and soak up any kind of profit margin for the little guy.

There's profit if you melt things!!
8{>
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  22:40:15  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
I can't make it back to my dealer until sometime this coming week at the earliest. He keeps kinda crazy hours, but most of the time it is worth it as his stock is usually nice and varied. I was trying to hold off on buying until my birthday, (September 18 if anyone wants to send something). I'll check it out as soon as I can. I have to try and stop by during my work hours as he is not open on the weekends. If he has any for close, do you want some? Are rounds okay as long as they are the brands you requested? I'll gladly pick some up for you and ship them to you if they are available. No promises....

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2008 :  04:53:55  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Computer Jones

The "spot" price of silver is being manipulated away from the "what I can buy it for in my home town" price.
Ted Butler gives a good explanation here:
I can buy all the bars and rounds I want (well I guess I mean have FRN's available to plunk down) in 1 and 10 ounce form, but the lowest price that they can be had is $15.00 in my neck of the woods.
It don't matter what "spot' is, the premium seems to adjust and soak up any kind of profit margin for the little guy.

Thanks for the link, Computer Jones. I saw the story on Coinflation this past week as well. Great article on the shenanigans going on behind the scenes.

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp
Go to Top of Page

Copper Catcher
Administrator

USA
2092 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  11:32:20  Show Profile Send Copper Catcher a Private Message
Deal, If you can get name brand bars at spot plus.25 I am up for it. Tell me how much you think you can get. I can mail you a check. Also I will be glad to send you a prize on your B-day! too...
Go to Top of Page

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  12:52:57  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
"My question: Is there really a shortage of the physical metal silver or not?"

One theory is that there is a shortage of investment grade silver, but not neccessarily for industrial silver. So the spot price correlates to the much larger industrial silver price, but to not to small bar and rounds prices. If the theory hold out, the spot price will eventually become more real and the shortage in small bars and rounds will work itself out as more silver is diverted into the more lucrative investment category.

Either that or the spot price is just flat out broken because of all the paper silver that is floating around.

Either way something very strange is going on. The supposedly free and efficient silver market is starting to show cracks.

Even the going price for junk silver is now 40¢ over spot shipped when it use to be spot or even less. If you can get small bars or rounds for 25¢ over spot, I say go for it and let me know where.
Go to Top of Page

Neckro
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Saudi Arabia
2080 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  14:33:07  Show Profile  Send Neckro an AOL message  Click to see Neckro's MSN Messenger address  Send Neckro a Yahoo! Message Send Neckro a Private Message

Trolling is an art.
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  17:52:39  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Neckro

Any idea how fast--or slow--their shipment time is? Do they have a weeks-long delay in shipping like Kitco and others?

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp
Go to Top of Page

jpf231
Penny Collector Member

USA
340 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  18:55:30  Show Profile Send jpf231 a Private Message
Neckro - I haven't seen a better mint website ... fantastic and very good prices as well. You must be logged in to see this link.
Go to Top of Page

Neckro
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Saudi Arabia
2080 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2008 :  18:57:29  Show Profile  Send Neckro an AOL message  Click to see Neckro's MSN Messenger address  Send Neckro a Yahoo! Message Send Neckro a Private Message
My idea is, as long as I get the bullion for a low cost, and it all gets to me. Then I don't care how long it takes. =) I rather buy it at 14.50 and wait a month, then buy it for 19bucks and wait 2days.

Trolling is an art.
Go to Top of Page

AgCollector
Penny Collector Member

USA
266 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  07:31:34  Show Profile Send AgCollector a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Neckro

My idea is, as long as I get the bullion for a low cost, and it all gets to me. Then I don't care how long it takes. =) I rather buy it at 14.50 and wait a month, then buy it for 19bucks and wait 2days.

A month might be optimistic- NWT Mint is pretty notorious (at least, on the goldismoney.info board) for not only taking a long time (2-3 months) but also lying to you about when your silver will ship.
Go to Top of Page

magnasort
Penny Pincher Member

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  09:59:22  Show Profile Send magnasort a Private Message
Ordered junk 90% from Bullion direct by visa and check, the visa shipment showed in 5 bus days, the check is still clearing.

Magnetic sorters, no moving parts except the coins
Go to Top of Page

Neckro
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Saudi Arabia
2080 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  11:31:02  Show Profile  Send Neckro an AOL message  Click to see Neckro's MSN Messenger address  Send Neckro a Yahoo! Message Send Neckro a Private Message
As long as I get what I paid for. It's still gonna sit in my vault either way.

Trolling is an art.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2