Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Silver Bullion, Gold, & other Bullion Metals
 Should I take this deal?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2008 :  22:08:04  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
I just got this reply from a post I made on Craigslist:
quote:
i have some 925 some sterling and a large amount of silver that i melted off a 100 year old victorian lamp 2 of them i have salt and pepper shakers spoons dishes nuggets small shakers hollow all total about 2 -2 1/2 pounds this is for real i am not pulling any ones chains i scrap for a living so i know what i have and what i need to do to make sure it is real i have a test kit.

I've never tested silver before and would much prefer pieces that are clearly marked as sterling. This guy is asking $11 an ounce. Should I take this offer?

Visit my new preparedness site: Preparedness.cc/SurvivalPrep.net
--Latest article: Stocking up on spices to keep food preps lively

---------------

Be prepared...and prepared to help: http://www.survivalblog.com/charity.html

Are you ready spiritually for hard times? http://www.jesusfreak.com/rapture.asp

TenBears
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2008 :  22:21:33  Show Profile Send TenBears a Private Message
Personally, I would shy away from this deal only because I would not be receiving any assurance of what I received. This silver is not marked as you say. To me, unmarked is not worth much until and if you could get it assayed. And, on that point, I haven't a clue as to where one goes to get bullion assayed. I think HoardCopper, Deal and maybe a couple of other of our members have dealt in scrap type metals. Maybe they will have a more enlightened answer for you.

"Rich," the Old Man said dreamily, "is not baying after what you can't have. Rich is having the time to do what you want to do. Rich is a little whiskey to drink and some food to eat and a roof over your head and a fish pole and a boat and a gun and a dollar for a box of shells. Rich is not owing any money to anybody, and not spending what you haven't got." Robert Ruark

there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...
there are too wild Indians...-----still taunted

Go to Top of Page

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2008 :  22:24:17  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Says he has a test kit... Maybe compare to what you can get from a smelter. Might be worth a look anyway but be careful.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

Neckro
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Saudi Arabia
2080 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2008 :  00:23:34  Show Profile  Send Neckro an AOL message  Click to see Neckro's MSN Messenger address  Send Neckro a Yahoo! Message Send Neckro a Private Message
Test kit can get bogus. Since it only tests the certain area and not the entire piece. If it's just plated, it will test positive. Only go for pieces that are stamped/marked Known until you become every well known in it. Like if I test Silver plated copper wire, it will get a positive reaction, but then after I clean the area, the Copper shines right through.

Trolling is an art.
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2008 :  03:52:45  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
I just sent the guy an e-mail telling him to send me photos of all the pieces that are clearly marked as sterling and to give me a total weight on all the pieces and I would pay him via Paypal. That way I'd at least have Paypal protection if the guy tries to screw me over.

---------------

Go to Top of Page

Neckro
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Saudi Arabia
2080 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2008 :  04:12:39  Show Profile  Send Neckro an AOL message  Click to see Neckro's MSN Messenger address  Send Neckro a Yahoo! Message Send Neckro a Private Message
Make sure you know the hallmarks. =D

Trolling is an art.
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2008 :  04:32:07  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Neckro

Make sure you know the hallmarks. =D

I'm sticking with "sterling" and ".925" and probably not much else.

---------------

Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2008 :  06:14:45  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
Hmmm.... Not sure. Definately look at the pictures, (post 'em!). Sounds kinda risky. Why would a man who scraps for a living need to offload any scrap online? $11 per ounce for a "maybe", when silver is very affordable at around $13.50. Plus, whenever someone doesn't use any punctuation it always makes me feel leary. Unless the pictures show some new information, I would pass my friend....

Deal

p.s. 2.5 troy pounds? Oh yeah, correction, I guess the guy used a period at the end of his super-sentence.

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

Bluegill
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1964 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2008 :  08:10:19  Show Profile Send Bluegill a Private Message
I had to read that gibberish 3 times to figure out what he(she) was saying. That alone sends up red flags...

"this is for real i am not pulling any ones chains" I just don't get that warm fuzzy feeling.

As Deal mentioned, why would a scrapper be responding to a Craigslist ad...

Proceed with extreme caution.

Go to Top of Page

kavajava
Penny Collector Member

USA
490 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2008 :  10:45:37  Show Profile Send kavajava a Private Message
Pass on this one....please.
Go to Top of Page

horgad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1641 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2008 :  12:12:22  Show Profile Send horgad a Private Message
Midwestrefiners is paying 88% of spot for sterling or about $12.12 a Troy ounce less your shipping and insurance costs for recovered silver. So that is what the silver is worth assuming the deal 100% legit.

Also, the you mentioned pounds and ounces in your post. So did you figure 11 an ounce for Troy or not? That could make a huge difference.

Also if the guy is such an expert on scrap metals, he should know about Midwestrefiners and/or other refiners. So why is he selling on craigslist?

Also is $11 dollars an ounce for the silver content of for the sterling. If for the sterling, you are talking Spot * .925 * .88 = $11.25 an ounce. So he is only 25 cents under the sell price for sterling assuming Troy ounces.

Seems like it is too much risk...
Go to Top of Page

Delawhere Jack
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1680 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2008 :  17:36:17  Show Profile Send Delawhere Jack a Private Message
Or... Maybe he's recently come to realize that melting the stuff down was a bad move, making it more difficult for him to unload. And now he's trying to unload it to someone else rather than having to pay to have it assayed himself.....?

"Be reluctant to attribute to malice that which may be adequately
explained by stupidity." Source unknown.

My vote, pass.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Go to Top of Page

Neckro
1000+ Penny Miser Member

Saudi Arabia
2080 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2008 :  17:50:39  Show Profile  Send Neckro an AOL message  Click to see Neckro's MSN Messenger address  Send Neckro a Yahoo! Message Send Neckro a Private Message
Take it off his hands for free. >D That's an awesome purchase price!

Trolling is an art.
Go to Top of Page

daviscfad
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
1664 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2008 :  11:34:50  Show Profile Send daviscfad a Private Message
I dunno it seems like if he was trying to rip you off it would be for more than 11 dollars
Pictures will help though.

Inquiring minds want to know
Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2008 :  17:15:12  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
11 dollars an ounce times 12 or 16 does matter. Substantial rip off.

Deal

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your council or your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen."
- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2008 :  18:28:42  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message
Something smells fishy as to this offer for the following reasons-

1) This Craigslist seller could go on ebay or to an ebay seller and sell the sterling for a better price.

2) This Craigslist seller could, has has been mentioned by other forum members, sell to a refiner, a buyer of Precious Metals, etc.

3) Instead of melting the silver off of the lamps this Craigslist seller could have recieved much more by selling the Victorian Lamps intact. Do you suppose that this guy has never heard of an antiques dealer or the Antiques Roadshow? (How long has Antiques Roadshow been on the air anyway?)

Something just does not seem right about this deal. Me, myself and I would pass on this deal.
Go to Top of Page

Nickelless
Administrator

USA
5580 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2008 :  19:22:14  Show Profile Send Nickelless a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by pencilvanian

Something smells fishy as to this offer for the following reasons-

1) This Craigslist seller could go on ebay or to an ebay seller and sell the sterling for a better price.

2) This Craigslist seller could, has has been mentioned by other forum members, sell to a refiner, a buyer of Precious Metals, etc.

3) Instead of melting the silver off of the lamps this Craigslist seller could have recieved much more by selling the Victorian Lamps intact. Do you suppose that this guy has never heard of an antiques dealer or the Antiques Roadshow? (How long has Antiques Roadshow been on the air anyway?)

Something just does not seem right about this deal. Me, myself and I would pass on this deal.

This guy wasn't a seller--I posted a listing as a buyer. I don't know that this guy had posted these items for sale before now. I'm guessing he's just pretty clueless about antique values or sales venues.

---------------

Go to Top of Page

NotABigDeal
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
3890 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2008 :  20:19:33  Show Profile Send NotABigDeal a Private Message
I love Antique Roadshow. Shhh, don't tell, I have a reputation to uphold.

Deal

p.s. Twelve years. That is how long it's been around I think.

Live free or die.
Plain and simple.

- Samuel Adams
Go to Top of Page

pencilvanian
1000+ Penny Miser Member

USA
2209 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2008 :  09:29:55  Show Profile Send pencilvanian a Private Message
It could be that you are dealing with a clueless seller, Nickelless, though some con artists decieve their victims by pretending to be clueless or dumber than their vicitms.

If you are willing to go through with this deal, I would suggest that you buy 5 ounces at a time from this seller and have it tested each time to make sure it is silver, or ask if the seller would agree to have the silver tested by an uninterested third party, with the arguement that some silver is sterling (925 or 92.5%) some is coin silver (900 or 90%) some is 800 silver (80%)
etc., just to keep everything honest and above board. An honest seller would agree to the test, a dishonest one would back out of the deal.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2