Classic Realcent Archives
Classic Realcent Archives
Home | Profile | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Bullion Coins and Metals Investing Forums
 Nickel Bullion & CuNi Bullion Coins
 Cdn quarters and dimes for nickel?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

psi
Penny Collector Member

Canada
399 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  18:28:54  Show Profile Send psi a Private Message
Does anyone here sort dimes and quarters for the pre-2000 nickel ones? I usually spend the steel out of my change first but I haven't done much roll sorting with these. The obvious downside would be that the face value exceeds the melt value by quite a bit currently so you're not getting the metal for a discount. The higher face value "floor" could be seen as a benefit if you want to have your savings in a more liquid form vs higher-melt-than-face coins like nickels. There's also the possibility of finding silver once in a while. I like the quarters for spendability but I guess more silver dimes than quarters would re-enter circulation for a while before being pulled back out.

jadedragon
Administrator

Canada
3788 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  21:03:55  Show Profile Send jadedragon a Private Message
Just posted this in the Canadian Penny Buying and Sorting thread, but noticed your post, so here is my answer.

I don't seek out dimes, but today I ended up with a bunch. Can't not look at them, so here is my count.

39 Rolls Dimes (1950 coins) Yielded:
1832 Cdn Dimes Non-Silver
111 US Dimes (no silver, but around 50 cents exchange rate benefit)
5 UK 5 Pence various dates
1 1965 Cdn Dime and 1 1938 Cdn Dime - SILVER.

Total Profit: +/-$1.70 At about 0.1% silver in the dime population, this is no way to get rich quick.

I also ended up with a bunch of quarters because my wife took an interest in collecting quarter types today :) Sorted several hundred in quarters, no silver. Found a few American ones (mostly states series) for a slight exchange rate profit. I think finding a silver quarter is darn near impossible, unless you are doing VERY high volume. I do know that the commercial coin sorters find the odd silver quarter.

In Canada we have a fantastic opprotunity to collect 98% Cu pennies and 99% Pure Nickels, and that is where I focus my coin sorting efforts. I've thought about going after the Nickel Quarters and Dimes (the Mint is pulling to melt) but they have such a long way from melt why bother. No real issue hauling and dumping pennies and nickels to the bank for deposit, so liquidity is not a big concern if I ever (parish the thought) dumped my hoard.

“The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man.” – George Bernard Shaw.
Why Copper Bullion ~~~ Interview with Silver Bullion Producer Market Harmony
Passive Income blog
Go to Top of Page

mickeyman
Penny Pincher Member

Canada
243 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  22:09:06  Show Profile Send mickeyman a Private Message
Early this year and late last year I bought a few rolls of dimes and quarters looking for the pre-2000 ones. At that time, roughly 50% of each type were pure nickel. The last time I did this was in about May of this year, and by that time the rate had fallen to about 10%--a stunning rate of fall. The Mint has been more successful at pulling these out of circulation because they are more likely to circulate and less likely to end up in coin jars in the kind of numbers that pennies and nickels do.

Not all who wander are lost.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Classic Realcent Archives © 2000-2010 Realcent.org Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: ForumCo v3.4.05
RSS Feed 1 RSS Feed 2